Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Couldn't agree more Stu

If Sturridge gets injured (which he probably will, seems prone to niggles and knocks) we're stuffed.

With so much money and Champions League to offer, I feel this is a massive opportunity missed.

We knew where we needed to strengthen and have failed to do so.

A replacement for Suarez SHOULD have been 1st priority,  I agree we needed a CM so we got Can but after Suarez we needed fullbacks.

I don't know why he's bought all these 'Number 10's' and wingers ? and spent ALOT of money on punts forget Markovic and Lallana just go out with 45 million on Reus, or someone in that bracket.

We currently have 7 centre backs.... 7!  3 right backs and 1 left back!

The teams so unbalanced its a joke.  Need a decent keeper as well.  Why not Begovic? instead he'll persist with Mingolet and Jones.

When you look how our main rivals have strengthened its quite frankly a joke to be honest.  Fabregas, Costa, Sanchez, Herrera... bang straight into the starting 11 bundles of class with experience, whereas we have spent millions upon millions on players unproven at the top level. Of all the players we've bought how many would walk into our 1st team? let alone any of our rivals 1st teams ?

Telling yas now if these players don't make the grade (judging from past Rogers marvels in the transfer window they are unlikely to) he's going to come under ALOT of scrutiny.

I don't think he's learned from past mistakes such as Borini, Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto.  He's still buying players in that bracket and they are not good enough!

Frustration, I know its early days but I fail to see how we will be top 4 with what we've got.  Finally back into Europe's elite its going to be painful if we fall again, that, on my behalf is frustrating.

I hope I'm wrong I really do.
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:18 pm

It goes without saying that everyone on these boards is wishing you all the best Stu, I know you already know that mate but I just thought I'd say it all the same.
Anyway back to business! As for our signings mate some of them look quite decent, Can is a strong lad who can shift for a big unit and while we haven't seen much of Markovic his cameo's have been very encouraging.
If I do have one criticism it's that whilst we have done good business in the market I just think with the carrot of CL football and £100m+ to spend we might have done a bit better. Personally I think we could have set our sights a bit higher and maybe just brought in 3 or 4 new faces instead of 7 or 8.
But the likes of Markovic, Can and Lallana are good players who will improve us as a side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm wrote:Couldn't agree more Stu

If Sturridge gets injured (which he probably will, seems prone to niggles and knocks) we're stuffed.

With so much money and Champions League to offer, I feel this is a massive opportunity missed.

We knew where we needed to strengthen and have failed to do so.

A replacement for Suarez SHOULD have been 1st priority,  I agree we needed a CM so we got Can but after Suarez we needed fullbacks.

I don't know why he's bought all these 'Number 10's' and wingers ? and spent ALOT of money on punts forget Markovic and Lallana just go out with 45 million on Reus, or someone in that bracket.

We currently have 7 centre backs.... 7!  3 right backs and 1 left back!

The teams so unbalanced its a joke.  Need a decent keeper as well.  Why not Begovic? instead he'll persist with Mingolet and Jones.

When you look how our main rivals have strengthened its quite frankly a joke to be honest.  Fabregas, Costa, Sanchez, Herrera... bang straight into the starting 11 bundles of class with experience, whereas we have spent millions upon millions on players unproven at the top level. Of all the players we've bought how many would walk into our 1st team? let alone any of our rivals 1st teams ?

Telling yas now if these players don't make the grade (judging from past Rogers marvels in the transfer window they are unlikely to) he's going to come under ALOT of scrutiny.

I don't think he's learned from past mistakes such as Borini, Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto.  He's still buying players in that bracket and they are not good enough!

Frustration, I know its early days but I fail to see how we will be top 4 with what we've got.  Finally back into Europe's elite its going to be painful if we fall again, that, on my behalf is frustrating.

I hope I'm wrong I really do.

I believe the Remy deal fell through due to Borini the hero wanting to stay and fight for his place, this attitude should not be encouraged in players with this lack of ability, he should have been told straight, you're garbage, you're going, goodbye.

As for Sturridge, this season for me is going to be the proof in the pudding as to why he's never made it at City and Chelsea, he's fine playing second fiddle to the worlds best, but as a first choice he doesn't do enough for me and I think this season will prove it.

Also, his injury record isn't great as you point out.

I do have hope that Markovic will be a quality player for us, as will Lovren, but I am not sure they're going to massively improve our side the way Rodgers thinks they will.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Optimistic, aren't you ;)
Borini had a decent season last year. Who knows. It could be a blessing in disguise....maybe he will show why Rodgers bought him for so much.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:18 pm wrote:It goes without saying that everyone on these boards is wishing you all the best Stu, I know you already know that mate but I just thought I'd say it all the same.
Anyway back to business! As for our signings mate some of them look quite decent, Can is a strong lad who can shift for a big unit and while we haven't seen much of Markovic his cameo's have been very encouraging.
If I do have one criticism it's that whilst we have done good business in the market I just think with the carrot of CL football and £100m+ to spend we might have done a bit better. Personally I think we could have set our sights a bit higher and maybe just brought in 3 or 4 new faces instead of 7 or 8.
But the likes of Markovic, Can and Lallana are good players who will improve us as a side.

Ta Yakka, so far so good mate, so fingers crossed.

Can.... can can can... sh*t name :D .... Can, can look decent all he likes mate, but is he really an upgrade on Henderson? Is he going to improve us on what Gerrard gave last season? My guess is he'll do a steady job, he might even be half decent, but he's not going to improve us in that area, he's not really going to give us more control and make us more impenitrable and offer us the assists that Gerrard did last season. He may well fill in for Gerrard or Henderson on occasion, but do I see him having the quality to displace either in our "first 11", afraid not, sorry.

Onto Markovic, I refuse to comment until I've seen him, heard promising stuff, wasn't to dissapointed when I heard either, possibley excites me a little but the loss of Suarez means any excitment is well and truely muted.

Lallana, again, much the same as Can. He'll play instead of Henderson, Coutinho or in a wide area, is he better than Coutinho? Not in a million years, better than Henderson, I'd say yes slightly, but enough to make a considerable difference over 38 league games? Not a chance and he's certainly nowhere near as good as Sterling. So again, more squad fodder at £25,000,000. Doesn't bare thinking about Chelsea signed Fabregas for £30,000,000.... only five million more. Scarey thought.

I think the money has been well and truely spunked. Had Suarez been sold and we'd come back with Markovic, Tevez, Begovic and Lovren I'd have had that all day. Two big improvements to a shocking defence with two leaders and quality players and a striker who is similar in style to Luis and certainly not lacking in quality of his own (despite his age). Instead of these though we've found it nesscerary to sign our third right back, a striker who won't even be here, two midfielders who aren't an improvement on what we have and a 32 year old player who looks like may not fit our style of play.

I find it baffling, confusing, frustrating and damn right careless and arrogant that the lessons of the past and other clubs have never been learnt. Before the Chelsea game, EVERYONE knew how Chelsea would play, Rodgers was to arrogant/naive to adapt to this. Before this summer, EVERYONE was hoping we wouldn't "do a spurs"... Awaits the results of a very dissapointing transfer window under Rodgers... AGAIN!.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby alxy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:41 am

mkingdom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:55 am wrote:
alxy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:39 am wrote:Yup, I think we overachieved plus the combination of surprise last season helped us get to 2nd. This season, everyone will be gunning for us, and we don't have Luis anymore. So I would think to fight for 4th would be our target this year. It also doesn't look good that United seem to be on the up with LVH. I think City won't do so well this year, so it will be a toss-up between Chelsea and maybe Man U for the title this season. Hopefully we'll be in the mix all the way to the end though.

Have you been drinking?  :grinning:

No doubt they won't be as bobbins as last year but they have some serious squad issues to resolve. A top 4 challenge for sure, but highly unlikely for the title.

I don't drink mate  :)  Though I would be the happiest of all if I were proven wrong.  :D
alxy

Postby killerp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 am

Seeing as we can't sign any class players we have to resort to cloning technology to breed the next crop of super stars, check the results....

Capture_red.jpg
Capture_red.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 819 times

gerrard-suarez.jpg
gerrard-suarez.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 819 times

torres-costa.jpg
torres-costa.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 819 times
killerp

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 am

:laugh:  very good
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Looks like we've accepted a £375,000 offer from Huddersfield for Connor Coady.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 pm

your worries are understandable, stu, but your judgement is way too premature.

we're playing champions league next season ( :buttrock ) and there is no way that our squad depth, even with suarez, of last season was ever going to cope with that. we've taken serious measures to increase that squad 'strength and depth' with players of quality that can be swapped in and out without really altering our playing style.

by all accounts the money spent so far is not the suarez money so if this is true we still have plenty to spend and time to spend it. that fact that we have been in for falcao shows that the manager knows what kind of and level of player we need up top and is on the case. the defence is way stronger and i think lovren and sahko will be forming a solid partnership. the two new full backs are also better than what we had.

the main worries i have are the keeper, and how we are going to integrate so many new players quickly in a difficult start to the season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Stu - Tevfkgez I wouldn't let the arrogant, I'm fkg off to play golf, prat anywhere near the place !! Good player but a very annoying kunt. Your a fan of Ferguson as a manager and look what he thought of the man that you would have to replace Suarez. Just Google the words "Ferguson not happy with Tevez" if you are struggling to understand why I am more than a tad concerned that you would even entertain this utter disruptive shithou.se at LFC.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm

If the players procured thus far  are the players Rodgers wanted, then I'm more than prepared to support his choices ,lets face it, there is little or nothing us fans can
do to affect his decisions,and like every season that's gone before I cant wait for it to start . I will reserve my judgement until I take in our first game at Anfield.
Only time will tell ,but I have a strong feeling with everyone predicting our demise after the departure of Suarez, that Rodgers will again spring a surprise.

:buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:33 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm wrote:If the players procured thus far  are the players Rodgers wanted, then I'm more than prepared to support his choices ,lets face it, there is little or nothing us fans can
do to affect his decisions,and like every season that's gone before I cant wait for it to start . I will reserve my judgement until I take in our first game at Anfield.
Only time will tell ,but I have a strong feeling with everyone predicting our demise after the departure of Suarez, that Rodgers will again spring a surprise.

I think all the sensible fans support Rodgers after last year's amazing season RB.

I think the massive divide you will find is what may happen if we fail to make the CL at the end of this season after the spend and free reign Rodgers has had to re-shape the squad this transfer window.

From my point of view I will be reserving my judgement towards the end of this season as well BUT if we fail to finish 4th or above I will classify it as a complete and utter failure on Rodgers behalf.

I desperately want to be proven wrong by the new faces but on face-value the signs are ominous with Rodger's track record with our recent flops and the fact that he hasn't actually improved our starting XI.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Dundreamin is back » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 am

Am going to wait until they season starts. I carnt understand why we sold Reinia does anybody SERIOUSLY believe Mingolet is a better keeper? This could be our Achilles heel never mind the defence if the keeper doesn't install confidence,then the defence will be very nervous. As for Mingolet,s distribution is abysmal me ma can do better. Anyway I am not going to lose sleep about it. As come November/December I maybe a total insomniacs by then
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 pm

eds » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm wrote:If the players procured thus far  are the players Rodgers wanted, then I'm more than prepared to support his choices ,lets face it, there is little or nothing us fans can

I think all the sensible fans support Rodgers after last year's amazing season RB.

I think the massive divide you will find is what may happen if we fail to make the CL at the end of this season after the spend and free reign Rodgers has had to re-shape the squad this transfer window.

From my point of view I will be reserving my judgement towards the end of this season as well BUT if we fail to finish 4th or above I will classify it as a complete and utter failure on Rodgers behalf.

I desperately want to be proven wrong by the new faces but on face-value the signs are ominous with Rodger's track record with our recent flops and the fact that he hasn't actually improved our starting XI.

Eds Its all part and parcel of following the reds mate ,last season in terms of football was one of the best I've witnessed us play since the 80's ,and even though Suarez
was part of that ,I still consider the most cohesive and fluent movement came from the team as a unit .

Rodgers is no fool ,he will know the expectations he has unearthed. I expect him to build something remarkable in the shape of a team with so much balance and pace
they will practically unplayable .....All the signs last season point to this ,so even without Suarez I'm excited that Rodgers is still following his blueprint for exciting
football ,and I have no doubts that when a striker and Moreno  eventually comes in we will have significantly strengthened in key areas ,although I like most fans have
my reservations about Mignolet .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion