The greatest uk footballer - Cast your vote

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:29 pm

i was gonna vote for Banks but just as I was gonna click 'vote' my missus kicked me hard and square in the gonads, told me to give me head a shake and vote Kenny.

so i did. :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FANTÔMAS » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Dalglish was a great footballer, I don't think theirs a doubt in my mind about that, of course, Best never truly finished his career off, he was done by the time he was hitting his prime. So, Dalglish was able to be successful throughout his whole career, it was his end at Liverpool that has spelt our inability to win the league since. As for Best, his problem stunted him completely and their's no way of telling what would have happened if he hadn't had a problem or at least the stupid staff at the Manc had helped him, much the same can be said about Gascoigne. Who knows? There have been many great English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish players in the last twenty years, let alone going back as far as the 60s.

I can think of a dozen names just in the English team in the last eighteen years that certainly deserve a mention.
FANTÔMAS

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Let's be honest: Best is one of those people that would have been a true great and a legend in all people's hearts and minds had he not been such a waster and pi$sed it away. The likes of Zidan and Pele were perfect professionals that had long outstanding careers both international and club. Best just got blinded by the lights of fame, booze and women and wasted his talents. Some might say that's the way to go, but not if you're a roll model. Sorry if people will be offended by my opinion, but it's my opinion. It's a sin to waste God given talent.

King Kenny rules supreme.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:SHOCKING!!  We are LIVERPOOL.  Fook Best off.  Vote for Kenny or dont vote at all

Very childish well done don't matter if the real best footballer doesn't win as long as its Liverpool player.  :no

I hate man u as much as next Liverpool fan but Best was greatest ever UK player end off.

We wont see a another player like him ever.

At end of day you have to ask your self if Best played for Liverpool would you be saying the same thing if you do then grow the fu.ck up.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:16 pm

The same question could be asked to Man U fans about Kenny, anyway it doesn't really matter, it was a way for me to ruin my dumb@ss mates day, serves him right for not checking which contacts on his E-Mail list he sent it to :;):

By the way I have voted another 5 times today for Kenny, f*ck them !

Best   40.9%

Kenny 53%
destro

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:56 pm

skatesy wrote:I am a Red forever but, I am sorry, I have to vote for Bestie.

A man who ruined his career with drink, then went on to kill himself twice with drink, oh yes a model british footballer.

Against King Kenny who has excelled as a player and a manager winning countless more things than George Best.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm

sounds like a red devil forever to me

king kenny all the way!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:14 am

George Best was a great player but in comparison to King Kenny, well, there is none. Kenny showed himself to be the best player, best player-manager and manager, George Best was rare in the fact he is the only player from northern ireland to have the talent to make use of the ball. Kenny all the way for me.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:56 am

Through European nights and days of horror, Dalglish was exceptional

Kenny Dalglish possessed more talent and dedication than any other British footballer of the last 50 years, argues Kevin McCarra

The Guardian book of football July 31, 2008 12:01 AM

To celebrate the launch of The Guardian book of football, a collection of the best football writing in this paper from the last 50 years, we have asked five great names from the world of football and football journalism to nominate the best player from the UK in that time. Every day this week one of them will explain their choice, today Kevin McCarra sings Kenny Dalglish's praises. You can now vote for your favourite UK footballer of the last 50 years

No other player in modern British football history has had the combination of talent, dedication, durability and football intelligence possessed by Kenny Dalglish. Sometimes I wonder if this marvellous performer can actually have been Scottish at all, so unrelated was he to the hell-raising, self-destructive virtuosos that were once a speciality north of the border.

Dalglish was never at risk of burn-out. The fire indeed was so hard to extinguish that he was 39 when, in 1990, he made his last appearance for Liverpool. Because of a dry manner, with its sardonic humour, his sheer passion for the game gets overlooked. That joy was unmistakable on the field, particularly after a left-footed curler clinched a 3-1 win for Scotland over Spain in 1984. An explosion of delight vaporised every line on his 33-year-old face and it was a schoolboy's features that filled the camera lenses.

When the need was great, Dalglish could be the individualist who came to the team's rescue. As someone who watched many of his games in the mid-1970s, it is my feeling that there were more examples of spectacular virtuosity from him in those days. He was probably reacting to the needs of the side because Celtic had by then slipped back a little from their European Cup-winning peak.

Dalglish knew what was required by each of his teams and tailored his style accordingly. In retrospect it seems silly that anyone wondered if he could adapt when he moved to Liverpool as Kevin Keegan's replacement in the summer of 1977. At the close of the ensuing campaign, he composed himself to gather a Graeme Souness pass at Wembley and dink the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper as his new club beat Bruges 1-0 to retain the European Cup.

He had the sort of career that bludgeons sceptics with a statistical barrage. There were a total of 336 goals for Celtic and Liverpool, with another 30 from 102 caps placing him alongside Denis Law as Scotland's highest-ever scorer. The most impressive aspect, though, is that despite such figures he was not a pure predator. Dalglish, instead, was really a deep-lying striker.

Lacking raw speed, his approach was founded on technique, imagination and the sturdiness to hold off defenders. He was complemented exquisitely by Ian Rush, the striker he released for so many Liverpool goals. The lasting value of Dalglish is quantified in the honours he accumulated. For reasons of space, it might be as well to confine ourselves to mentioning the six League titles and three European Cups at Anfield alone.

Familiar though defenders were with an opponent who was around for so long, few could stop the adroit Dalglish from exploiting their weaknesses. Nowadays people seem to have forgotten that the astuteness carried over into a managerial record that was formidable at both Anfield and Ewood Park. There were sneers that he had bought Blackburn the 1995 title with Jack Walker's money, but many clubs have spent heavily and failed since then. In addition, it should be recalled that Blackburn made a total profit of over £16m on the eventual sales of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton alone.

Over a wonderful career on the field and some fruitful years in charge of teams, Dalglish showed strength of character. He not only succeeded Joe Fagan after the Heysel Stadium disaster but did so as player-manager of Liverpool, a dual role that now looks inconceivable. Dalglish remained in charge, too, during the harrowing times after the carnage at Hillsborough in 1989.

In all circumstances of sport, from the euphoric to the tragic, he was exceptional.

Tomorrow: John Barnes on Ian Rush

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport....da.html
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 am

Cant believe the article didn't mention he won the Double in 1986 as player/manager.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:13 pm

Best   27.5%

Kenny 54%

1 Day to go

:D
destro

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 pm

What is greatness, lifting cups, club level AND international or individual skill or team player?

Greatest ever achiever has to be Phil Neal.
Most reliable international scorer someone like Linacre.
Man you´d want to have in your team to steal a game in the last 5 minutes, Rushie or Mark Hughes.
Greatest club and international captain, possibly Emlyn.

What is greatness?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm

King Kenny- Legend.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby heimdall » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 am

We should also be throwing some votes in the direction of Rush, he's not that far behind Best, if we get a one-two of players that would surely :censored: off the Manure fans :-)
Very surprised that Moore hasn't got more votes though ???
heimdall

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:16 am

Surprised John Charles didnt get a mention - gentle person and quality footballer
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion