Gerrard - Footballer of the year

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Wed May 13, 2009 7:06 am

From .tv:

Steven Gerrard is celebrating today after being named Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers' Association.
The Liverpool skipper beat off competition from Manchester United pair Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney to win the most prestigious individual award in English football.

Having already landed the PFA Fans Player of the Year award this season, the FWA honour caps another incredible campaign for the 29-year-old midfielder, who has once again led by example and driven his side to within touching distance of achieving their title dreams.

Whether those dreams are realised over the next week or not remain to be seen, but over the course of the past ten months Gerrard has once again established himself as the finest midfielder in European football.

His two goals at West Ham United on Saturday - which temporarily fired Liverpool back to the top of the league - saw him climb above Ian St John in the club's all-time scoring charts as he took his tally for the season to an impressive 23, equalling his best ever return in a red shirt.

Fifteen of his goals this term have arrived in the Premier League and have included strikes in high-profile games against Manchester United and Everton, while in Europe he also rose to the occasion with five goals in the group stages - including his 100th goal for Liverpool against PSV Eindhoven - and then two more against Real Madrid in the last sixteen clash at Anfield.

"We are delighted to honour Steven's contribution this season with our prestigous award," said Steve Bates, National Chairman of the Football Writers' Association.

"Steven has had a fantastic season and has so often been the driving force behind Liverpool's forceful challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.

"His passion and desire to send the title race into the closing days of this campaign has underpinned Liverpool's pursuit of Manchester United and he has frequently caught the eye with outstanding performances which have showcased his considerable talent.

"Steven is viewed by the Football Writers who voted as the heartbeat of Liverpool's team and a player who gives everything for the cause.

"He beat off a strong challenge from Old Trafford stars Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to emerge as a clear winner and he follows a long and illustrious list of British and European footballers to win the vote of the Football Writers."

Steven will be presented with his award at a gala dinner at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London on Friday May 29.

Congratulations Stevie  :buttrock

:bowdown
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed May 13, 2009 8:02 am

wooohooooo! well deserved! im delighted!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby europian-kings » Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 am

Congratz stevie!
Another great season in the red shirt!
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am

top notch

i couldn't have gone to anyone else really

jobs not finished yet though stevie mate another hat full on the weekend please young man
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby curly bonce » Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 am

had a decent season, been injured for too long to win this i reckon

load a :censored: anyway
curly bonce

Postby bigmick » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am

curly bonce wrote:had a decent season, been injured for too long to win this i reckon

:D

Anyway back to reality, richly deserved and it's hard to see how they could give it to anybody else really. I think it's legitimate within the clubs own "player of the year" vote to get involved in who has played the best in comparison to their potential (like the debate we had on here about Alonso, Kuyt and the like) but on a national level, these things really ought to go to who has been the best player.

By best player, I don't mean playing to the nearest possible level to their potential every week, or running around a lot, I mean best player. Best players change football matches regularly, they score important goals regularly, they cause the opposition to change the way they play. They are coveted by all and sundry, and good enough to walk into any other team in the league without a moments consideration.

The best player is normally a fairly obvious choice. Last season, the best player in the Premiership was Christiano Ronaldo and he deservedly won the plaudits. This season, the best player in the Premiership by miles and miles has been Gerrard. Even the football writers can see it it's so obvious, so well done to our captain, it is richly deserved.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 am

Well deserved , FFS how giggs won the pfa player of the year over stevie is a joke . Sentimental votes

Anyways brilliant for stevie , legend! :buttrock
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 am

curly bonce wrote:had a decent season, been injured for too long to win this i reckon

I'm really enjoying this.  :D  How old are you curly ?
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby SuuPeRrSteviieG!! » Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 am

He is Mr.Liverpool :D. he has deserved this award, been injured so much this season and to still score that much goals is astonishing really, anyone think different, need your eyes testing. Well done stevie G :)

YNWA
SuuPeRrSteviieG!!

Postby kunilson » Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 am

has had a brilliant season, congrats to him....

he's been the battling for us all the way to the end of this title fight, fully deserved.

Alonso was my player of the year for his regaining of form especially after a summer where he was linked away from the club......But its easy to forget how high a standard Stevie keeps his level of football....
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Keris » Wed May 13, 2009 9:41 am

Congratulation Stevie. Well deserved.  :buttrock  :bowdown
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBen » Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 am

Decent  :D
RedBen
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Wed May 13, 2009 9:52 am

:no
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby curly bonce » Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

decent by gerrards standard am talking about

the lads a one off and should be judged on his ability not that of fletcher and the like

plenty more would have come from him had he been 100% fit for the season is me point
curly bonce

Postby Owzat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 am

It's been his best season in terms of goals, 23 this season which equals his 05/06 tally - that 05/06 tally included SEVEN in early CL qualifying (TNS and FBK Kaunas quality opponents)

The PFA awards may be viewed by some/many/most as more prestigious, but this year was tainted by some dubious campaigning to influence the outcome - it appears it succeeded. I gather Giggs was in the frame for the writers award, the sad thing is we will never know if he was in the picture for the writers award, and indeed won the PFA award, for his season or for the view that he has never won it and "deserved it".
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion