Summer 2019 pre-season thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:46 pm wrote:Jesus Christ, can't believe that tackle on Laruci, in a pre-season match no less! Disgraceful, Laruci should sue for assult!

Yeah he had no intention of going for the ball, he just booted the lad, it looked like something out of a mixed martial arts fight.
Larouci looks a decent prospect but like most wingers converted to fullbacks he has a tendency to overplay in his own half. If he can sort that out he has a chance of making it.
I know we are missing players but we look very ordinary going forward. How the club arent investing in another attacking player is beyond me.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:46 pm

So far its been a bit of a damp squib.
Yes, its good for the kids to get some experience, but theres nobody doing anything which is putting them in the frame for next season. Flashes of good play but wasteful and too cautious in front of goal. Curtis Jones is annoying me because he is potentially a great player, but he has little self confidence and the will to make things happen.
We definitely need our best players to start getting involved pretty soon...
Thommo's perm

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:23 pm

If we came away with just one blockbuster signing I'd be over the moon. We have to remember City won the domestic treble last year and bought Rodrigo to further strengthen their squad..

If we buy either Kai Havertz or Marco Reus then I think we could challenge on all fronts this year.

I feel like Klopp tried to be tight the first couple of years and realised you need to spend big in the EPL to win things.. He spent last year and it worked out brilliantly, and now he's going back to relying on what he's got.

After watching us last year I could see areas we could improve.. Cover for the front 3 definitely. The drop in class when our front 3 wasn't playing was massive. We didn't create enough chances in games when teams parked the bus.. And them draws eventually cost us the league.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:33 am

We saw the benefit of investing in the squad with The Big Man and Allison being brought in, which is why it’s so frustrating seeing us stand still....because we’re not far off from adding the final missing pieces. We just need to show more ambition and sign 2 (maybe 3) world class players. We can’t bank on our front 3 staying fit for the entire season.
Franky000

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am

Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:46 pm wrote:So far its been a bit of a damp squib.
Yes, its good for the kids to get some experience, but theres nobody doing anything which is putting them in the frame for next season. Flashes of good play but wasteful and too cautious in front of goal. Curtis Jones is annoying me because he is potentially a great player, but he has little self confidence and the will to make things happen.

He was probably already in the frame for next season but Brewster has done well. He'll get game time next year. Larouci has increased his stock. Shame he'll miss the rest of pre-season. Hoever has looked classy and if he can physically hack it I think he'll get the cup games and maybe even a few PL games in the second half of the season as cover for Trent. Shame Van den Berg hasn't had his clearance through. No idea why it's taking FIFA so long.

TBH we already had a pretty good idea that Kent, Phillips, Woodburn and Wilson are not going to break through here so it's case of maximising their value and selling them once we got a decent offer.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Pig Catcher » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:16 am wrote:
Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:46 pm wrote:So far its been a bit of a damp squib.

He was probably already in the frame for next season but Brewster has done well. He'll get game time next year. Larouci has increased his stock. Shame he'll miss the rest of pre-season. Hoever has looked classy and if he can physically hack it I think he'll get the cup games and maybe even a few PL games in the second half of the season as cover for Trent. Shame Van den Berg hasn't had his clearance through. No idea why it's taking FIFA so long.

TBH we already had a pretty good idea that Kent, Phillips, Woodburn and Wilson are not going to break through here so it's case of maximising their value and selling them once we got a decent offer.

Brewster does look good but it does have to be said he looked far less effective against Seville and Dortmund than he did against Tranmere and Bradford. I'm not saying the lad won't make it I'm just saying like most young players he is still a work in progress.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 am

Can't believe some on here doubted Bruno Fernandes' ability. Real quality player that would improve any team.

Anyway, I know it's just pre-seasom but I don't like how we struggle against the likes of Sporting. Not saying they're a bad team, but I would expect a better showing from us with the 11 we have on the pitch.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:19 am

damjan193 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 am wrote:Can't believe some on here doubted Bruno Fernandes' ability. Real quality player that would improve any team.

Anyway, I know it's just pre-seasom but I don't like how we struggle against the likes of Sporting. Not saying they're a bad team, but I would expect a better showing from us with the 11 we have on the pitch.

It seems to be a standard for some, if we are not interested they're Sh*t.
He's the type if player in that position we could do with, we do lack attacking midfielders, Milners getting on, Hendo and Gini miss more than they score and Kieta just hasnt done it yet and is injured again and the Ox is just back from serious injury and Lallana hasnt done it for a long time.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:29 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but BBC sport report

Nathaniel Clyne: Liverpool defender set to miss rest of 2019 with injury

Liverpool right-back Nathaniel Clyne will be out for about six months after suffering knee ligament damage during the club's pre-season tour of the United States.

Clyne, 28, was injured during the defeat by Borussia Dortmund last week and has flown home for treatment.

The England player is out of contract next summer and had been linked with a return to former club Crystal Palace.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp said the team were "gutted" at the news.

"He was training and playing so well - he was in outstanding shape," he added.

"Clearly an injury of this nature isn't a happy moment for any player, but the silver lining for him is that, according to the medical guys, it's a straightforward ACL injury.

"This means fixing it and coming back from it should follow a path that is free from pitfalls and complications."

Liverpool say the defender has a clean tear of his anterior cruciate ligament and expect Clyne to return to fitness in six months - late January 2020.

He's obviously no longer in our 1st eleven but a very decent back up when those ahead of him need a rest or are forced to miss a game.

At this stage in his career with his future at the club undecided the injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

Feel sorry for the fella   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am

Haven’t seen the highlights yet but heard Mignolet made a big blunder for the opener and we generally looked lethargic in the heat.

We started with the below side. With Mane ruled out, and Firmino, Salah, Shaq and Keita unlikely make the starting line up, I’d imagine that will be the team for the Community Shield with Alisson coming in for Migs.

#LFC starting XI v Sporting: Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Ox, Origi

Subs: Lonergan, Atherton, Lovren, Gomez, Lallana, Brewster, Kent, Lewis, Phillips, Jones, Hoever, Duncan, Woodburn, Wilson, Vd Berg
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm

So we’re back in Liverpool now before our game against Napoli in Edinburgh on Sunday. I’d imagine we’ll play our strongest available side and hopefully see the team play with a bit of rhythm. Then off to Switzerland for what sounds like a tough week of training and a friendly against Lyon where Salah, Firmino and Alisson should get some game time.

Jurgen Klopp sets Liverpool 'annoying' challenge and outlines Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri return

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaks on how his side will approach the new season and when two players will return to squad training

Jurgen Klopp is confident Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri will return to training next week as he challenged Liverpool to become even more annoying this season.

The Reds have travelled back to Merseyside after completing their US tour with a 2-2 draw against Sporting Lisbon in New York's Yankee Stadium on Wednesday.

Klopp's side are next in action on Sunday when they face Napoli at Murrayfield before embarking on a week-long training camp in Evian.

And while reflecting on the Stateside trip, the Reds boss has underlined the importance of the next 10 days - while believing both Keita and Shaqii hrave a role to play.

“We have an important week ahead of us at Evian for a proper training camp,” said Klopp.

“We have a very tricky game against Napoli and then the game against Lyon we organised pretty much for the boys who are coming back.

“Hopefully they can get some minutes in that game. It will be really important.

“When we get back, hopefully six players can join us. Naby Keita should be ready to train hopefully, Xherdan Shaqiri should be ready to train and then hopefully play, Mo, Bobby and Ali and a week later Sadio Mane as well. They are important players for us.”

Liverpool had previously lost against Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla in the States, and Klopp added: “In Notre Dame and Boston the biggest challenge was the weather, we pretty much hit the two hottest days of the year and also for training, but especially the game.

“The pitches are always a challenge in America, and playing in baseball grounds the pitch is not symmetric.

“It was nice to meet the people with us, it was an outstanding atmosphere. The way they showed up was really nice.

“Obviously, I'm not allowed to say too many nice things about the Yankees because of the (Boston) Red Sox but they were really nice to us, it was a very good experience.

“Every year is the same in pre-season. You have these games which have no real value at the end. It is different to the Premier League. Some things I liked, some things I did not like.

“After this trip, nobody should talk to me too often about the Champions League trophy.

“That's now finished, I hope we don't carry it with us all the time still so that we can start writing a new book or chapter.”

Speaking after the draw with Sporting, Klopp was asked how Liverpool can evolve with Pep Guardiola, boss of Premier League rivals Manchester City, keeping close tabs on their development.

“He picks us piece by piece and I give you the rest of the information? I would be happy if we start at the similar level to last year,” said the Reds boss. “That would not be bad.

“There is space for improvement. It is easy to plan what you want to improve in the office but then you miss three players or four others are not there and it becomes a theoretical part of football and you have to throw the plans in the bin so often, sometimes 10 minutes before a game.

“Stability, consistency, fighting for results. It is all important. Consistency on a high level is most important.

“If we can do that again it can be annoying playing against us and we must come again so they think when they play Liverpool or go to Anfield it is not fun. Last year was good and obviously we have not changed much.

“The boys should be there again to make the next step. They are older and more experienced.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-16643758
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:23 pm

I noticed some quotes from Moores on Sky Sports News, he was talking about doing up the Anny Road end, wouldn't surprise me if the reason we've tightened our belts is because we are planning on building a new stand. I seem to remember a similar thing happened when the Main Stand was built.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Sign that Fernandez  lad up quick  :nod He was all over us last night and none of our lads could touch him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm wrote:I noticed some quotes from Moores on Sky Sports News, he was talking about doing up the Anny Road end, wouldn't surprise me if the reason we've tightened our belts is because we are planning on building a new stand. I seem to remember a similar thing happened when the Main Stand was built.

Read on a couple of sites that the Anny road expansion us going to be bigger than originally applied for, will take the capacity over 60k
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 pm

Boocity wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm wrote:I noticed some quotes from Moores on Sky Sports News, he was talking about doing up the Anny Road end, wouldn't surprise me if the reason we've tightened our belts is because we are planning on building a new stand. I seem to remember a similar thing happened when the Main Stand was built.

Read on a couple of sites that the Anny road expansion us going to be bigger than originally applied for, will take the capacity over 60k

The outline planning permission expires in September so I think that is why there is talk about it. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-16635223

“We are still analysing the opportunity to build on Anfield Road,” said Werner. “I think that we are trying to figure it out

Anyway should be a good game tomorrow against Napoli  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion