Summer 2019 pre-season thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Hoever, Larucci and Elliot all look like they could play a part. It puzzles me as to why Moreno was offered a new deal when this lad is in the ranks. What I really like about Harvey as well is that he is a LFC fan  :buttrock .

While I do think those lads are promising its hard to forget we were here before saying the same things. Woodburn broke through under Rodgers and was the next best thing but since then he fell off the radar completely. Plenty of others as well and I don't mean that as a negative towards the lads but just that they still have a long way to go.

Anyway good win tonight  :nod Now for City and our first pop at the 7 trophys on offer. I know its a shitty game but lose it and it will go down as a trophy lost so go for it  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 pm wrote:
Pig Catcher » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:48 pm wrote:Not just the returning players. Everyone has looked fresher. Klopp said after Napoli that training would return to normal and freshness would return to the legs and it has showed today. Hoever looked good and Keita looks well up for the new season.

Hoever looked really good, he's grown a lot compared to how he looked against Wolves last season. He's developing into a real athlete. i was impressed by Lallana in MF as well, I wouldn't go as far as to say he adds more creativity to the side but he definitely gives us more ability on the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing a MF of Fabinho, Keita and Lallana against City.

I had considered Lallana in that position but he may be too lightweight. I remember once against Spurs a couple of years ago Wanyama came on and Lallana was out muscled off the ball every time like boys against men, He barged him once and Lallana went flying comically, i never got that image out of my head. He certainly has the engine and the vision but against mors athletic midfielders he may struggle.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 am

kazza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 pm wrote:
Pig Catcher » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:48 pm wrote:Not just the returning players. Everyone has looked fresher. Klopp said after Napoli that training would return to normal and freshness would return to the legs and it has showed today. Hoever looked good and Keita looks well up for the new season.

Hoever looked really good, he's grown a lot compared to how he looked against Wolves last season. He's developing into a real athlete. i was impressed by Lallana in MF as well, I wouldn't go as far as to say he adds more creativity to the side but he definitely gives us more ability on the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing a MF of Fabinho, Keita and Lallana against City.

I had considered Lallana in that position but he may be too lightweight. I remember once against Spurs a couple of years ago Wanyama came on and Lallana was out muscled off the ball every time like boys against men, He barged him once and Lallana went flying comically, i never got that image out of my head. He certainly has the engine and the vision but against mors athletic midfielders he may struggle.

Yeah he is definitely a bit lightweight in those types of situations but to be fair to him he is quite tenacious in terms of pressing, out of our current squad I think him, Keita and Fabinho are the 3 that offer a the best balance between workrate and ability on the ball.
Another thing I'd like to see us do this weekend is have a right go at City, in the past we've had a lot of success against them by really going after them, not just under Jurgen but under the likes of Brendan too, last season I thought we were a bit passive against them and they definitely had the better of the 2 games. Given this weekends game is meaningless and the result soon forgotten lets have a right go at them and see what happens, let's use the game as an experiment to see if City are still vulnerable to teams who really take it to them.
IMO City are top heavy, they generally have a lot of attacking players in their line up, sitting back and inviting pressure plays into their hands, the one thing those attacking players don't want to do is defend.Lets put them on the back foot and see how they react. There are no points to lose so let's go for it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 am

Lallana in the midfield - Offering the best balance ? Seriously

So ignore the likes of Henderson and Gini who were key all last season to the club winning the CL

Lallana isn’t going to be playing in the midfield
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:39 am

I hear what you say Yakka but last year i do feel that City for the first and second time ever under Pep actually sat back and did not play their normal game (remember they had been dominated by us the previous season), this then made us susceptible to the counter attack and why we sat back. I’d say if City sit back again then we will play it like last year but if somehow ego takes over pep’s game plan and they play their normal football then we will have better luck. First goal for either team will make a big difference in how it plays out.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am wrote:Lallana in the midfield - Offering the best balance ? Seriously

So ignore the likes of Henderson and Gini who were key all last season to the club winning the CL

Another one of your straw man arguments. I said the best balance between workrate and ability, yes we've got harder working players but last year against the better sides we often looked a bit toothless i.e both games against City, both games against Everton, United away etc.
I reckon a midfield 3 of Keita, Fabinho and Lallana would give us a decent balance between workrate but also ability on the ball.
It's getting boring answering your straw man arguments all the time, I think it would be better if you don't respond to my posts and I won't respond to yours.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 am wrote:Lallana in the midfield - Offering the best balance ? Seriously

Another one of your straw man arguments. I said the best balance between workrate and ability, yes we've got harder working players but last year against the better sides we often looked a bit toothless i.e both games against City, both games against Everton, United away etc.
I reckon a midfield 3 of Keita, Fabinho and Lallana would give us a decent balance between workrate but also ability on the ball.
It's getting boring answering your straw man arguments all the time, I think it would be better if you don't respond to my posts and I won't respond to yours.

Not sure what this “straw man argument” is all about but it’s clear that you don’t rate - Henderson , Gini and Milner - hence why it’s no surprise you chose an option without any of them and put in someone like Lallana. I don’t think you realise how good a team we have - best in 20 years but if you read what you post it’s back to the days of Woy and struggling for 8th
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:22 pm

The team picks itself as far as I'm concerned. Alisson, TAA, Robbo, VVD, Matip, Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Bobby, Mo, Mane.

It's down to the rest to fight for positions.

I don't think Lallana should be anywhere near the first 11.. He gets blown over by a gust of wind. We need steal in that midfield.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:45 am

Lallana is 31 with 1 year left. Seriously?
He'll will be Sturridge 2.0 this season. Used a sub in midifield for the year and then leave on a bosman in the summer as Klopp doesn't sell players.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 am

Penguins » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 am wrote:Lallana is 31 with 1 year left. Seriously?
He'll will be Sturridge 2.0 this season. Used a sub in midifield for the year and then leave on a bosman in the summer as Klopp doesn't sell players.

You can't force players to sign for other clubs. It's entirely down to them. It's not Football Manager mate.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Ok, so do you think it's a coincidence that several players have left on a bosman since Klopp arrived?
Or the fact that Klopp has never actively tried to sell a player unless another club has come in for one.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion