Summer 2019 pre-season thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm

With the first group of players returning on Saturday and our first friendly a week from now, I thought we should have a thread for all discussion around pre-season games.

Pre-season friendlies
Tranmere Rovers – A – Thursday 11th July – 19:30
Bradford City – A – Sunday 14th July – 15:00
Borussia Dortmund – N (Indiana-US) – Saturday 20th July –  1:00
Sevilla – N (Boston–US) – Sun 21st July – 23:00
Sporting CP – N (New York–US) – Thursday 25th July – 1:00
SSC Napoli – N (Edinburgh-Scotland) – Sunday 28th July – 17:00
Olympique Lyonnais – N (Genève-Switzerland) – Wed 31st July – 18:00

Charity Shield
Manchester City – N (London-UK) – Sunday 4th August –15:00

First Premier League game
Norwich City – H – Friday 9th August – 19:45

Rhian Brewster, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and the other Liverpool stars set for pre-season return to Melwood this week

Liverpool return to pre-season training on Saturday at Melwood as Jurgen Klopp begins preparations for new campaign

A depleted Liverpool squad will report back to Melwood for the start of pre-season training on Saturday.

Five weeks after the Reds' glorious Champions League final triumph, Jurgen Klopp and his staff will put the first wave of players through their paces.

The initial group will include those senior players who weren't involved in international fixtures after the cherished victory over Tottenham in Madrid such as Fabinho, James Milner, Joel Matip, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Adam Lallana.

Nathaniel Clyne is also scheduled to return after his loan spell at Bournemouth.

Highly-rated striker Rhian Brewster will be among a host of youngsters given the opportunity to impress in the early stages of pre-season in the absence of star names.

Liverpool's first friendly fixture is against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park on Thursday, July 11 followed by a trip to Bradford City three days later prior to the tour of America.

The England contingent of Jordan Henderson, Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold, the Dutch duo of Virgil van Dijk and Gini Wijnaldum, Belgium's Divock Origi and Simon Mignolet, Scotland captain Andy Robertson, Croatia's Dejan Lovren and Swiss attacker Xherdan Shaqiri will be on board in the States.

However, Liverpool will be without those who are still currently involved in the Copa America and the Africa Cup of Nations, including Alisson Becker, Roberto Firmino, Naby Keita, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.

Most Premier League clubs are already in pre-season training but Liverpool's return date reflects the fact that a gruelling 2018/19 campaign was extended by three weeks due to their passage to the Champions League final.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... n-16519610
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:34 pm

You would have thought that we would have squeezed at least one pre season game in at Anfield.
Good idea for a thread btw and thanks for the fixture listings, much appreciated.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:43 pm

We did have a friendly lined up against Schalke at Anfield just before the season starts but as we open the season on the Friday rather than Saturday/Sunday we decided to cancel it because it was too close to our first game.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm

16 players will report to Melwood for pre season training this Saturday :

Arroyo, Brewster, Clyne, Fabinho, Gomez, Kent, Hoever, Jones, Lallana, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Van den Berg, Wilson, Woodburn.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:32 pm

I really hope that injury hasn't taken the edge off AOC's game. Cruciate ligament injuries can be a bit of a lottery, Joe Gomez got a bad one but he's still quick and athletic as *****, Martin Kelly on the other hand was never the same player after his. Hopefully Alex makes a similar recovery to Joe.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:25 am

Egypt knocked out of the cup, so Salah should be back in time for the friendlies in the USA, along with the Brazilians, who play their final game later tonight.

So that only leaves Mane. If his country go all the way in the African cup, he'll probably miss the entire pre-season, and possibly the start of this year's campaign.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 am

damjan193 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:25 am wrote:Egypt knocked out of the cup, so Salah should be back in time for the friendlies in the USA, along with the Brazilians, who play their final game later tonight.

So that only leaves Mane. If his country go all the way in the African cup, he'll probably miss the entire pre-season, and possibly the start of this year's campaign.

Not sure what's best tbh, it was always a big blow to lose key players for the whole month of January but players who miss out on pre-season always seem to be playing catch up and never quite seem to hit top form.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:23 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:25 am wrote:Egypt knocked out of the cup, so Salah should be back in time for the friendlies in the USA, along with the Brazilians, who play their final game later tonight.

No chance of that I'd think. I'd imagine as a minimum Salah, Mane and Firmino will get 3 weeks holiday after their final games for their international teams. I reckon Salah and Firmino will be back in training the week of the 29th with them both being able to make the starting lineup against Norwich on 9th August. Senegal have progressed to the knockout stages of the African Nations so I can see Mane missing the opener.

Slightly worried about our front 3. We've had two two long seasons where we've got all the way to the final of the Champions League and we've been fighting hard right until the final league game of the season. Sandwiched between those two tough seasons was the world cup with all 3 playing. We desperately need to get some high quality support for them as they start every game and we've been riding our luck a little in terms of injuries to the front 3.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Milner comes first in the lactate test for a second year running. The guy is a machine. Gomez just behind.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1147481642832936960
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:28 pm

I remember my wife lactating after the kids were born but that's a pretty neat trick for Milly.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks for sharing :D
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Pig Catcher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 am wrote:

No chance of that I'd think. I'd imagine as a minimum Salah, Mane and Firmino will get 3 weeks holiday after their final games for their international teams. I reckon Salah and Firmino will be back in training the week of the 29th with them both being able to make the starting lineup against Norwich on 9th August. Senegal have progressed to the knockout stages of the African Nations so I can see Mane missing the opener.

Slightly worried about our front 3. We've had two two long seasons where we've got all the way to the final of the Champions League and we've been fighting hard right until the final league game of the season. Sandwiched between those two tough seasons was the world cup with all 3 playing. We desperately need to get some high quality support for them as they start every game and we've been riding our luck a little in terms of injuries to the front 3.

If they return on the 29th they are not going to have a pre season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm pretty sure Mane, Salah and Firmino got 3 weeks off last summer. Below are some of the return dates last summer after the world cup. It depends how much time the players had off between the champions league final and joining up with their countries but I can't see any of them on the plane that flys out to the US for the Dortmund game on the 20th. Might join us out there towards the end of the tour or straight after.

July 30: Roberto Firmino
August 5: Jordan Henderson, Dejan Lovren and Simon Mignolet
August 12: First game of the season against West Ham
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:28 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tbrfootb ... eason/amp/

Brewster is going to have a staring role in Pre Season
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Brewster is a very good player at U23 and 19 level but its a big step up to the prem. I hope I am wrong but I doubt he will play much at all when the league gets going.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion