STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:15 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:30 am wrote:
devaney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 am wrote:Damjan - if you are happy for people to regard Gerrard as a liability and you don't feel that demonstrates a lack of respect for an absolute legend then you are welcome to your opinion. Forgive me if I don't share your views. In the not too distant past Gerrard has had to carry some thoroughly awful players who should never have been allowed anywhere near Anfield let alone playing for Liverpool FC. Thank goodness all that has changed and the lad is no longer having to do the work of three players and to be frank it is about time. I have no problem with constructive criticism but let's keep it real. I have stated on numerous occasions that there is a lot more to Gerrard than making a tackle or playing a killer pass.To be honest mate I think some people are a bit too quick to condemn certain players.Of course it is your absolute prerogative if you are content for that to be the case.

You are obviously a bit of a Gerrard fanboy and a bit touchy over the subject, never mind I was like that myself over Kevin Keegan.
Gerrard in the centre of the park was a liability and he'd still be a liability now if Rodgers played him further forward where he has to do the type of running Hendo and Allen do, and as for disrespecting a legend give me a break, I've repeatedly said the Gerrard is the best player I've ever seen at Anfield and considering some of the players I've seen play for this club there's no higher praise than that.
This club has often fell into the trap of letting the legends play on for too long, Shankly admitted himself that he did it en-masse in the late 60's and the rebuild ended up so drastic that we didn't win a trophy for 6 years, I've seen fans roll their eyes and hold their head in their hands in despair when they've seen the likes of Phill Neal and even Kenny Dalglish's name on the team sheet.
Gerrard at the moment deserves his place in the side on merit and that's how it should be, once you start playing players because of what they did 3 or 4 years ago then you are on a very slippery slope indeed.
No matter how great a player you are you can't dodge the effects of Father Time, Maradona couldn't, Pele couldn't, Cruyff couldn't, Gerrard is now 33 and that is some age to be playing 90 minutes week in week out in the quickest, most physically demanding league on the face of the planet, especially for a midfielder.
Gerrard is managing to do that because Rodgers is protecting him.

Spot on, good post
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 pm

World class performance from Gerrard that.  :bowdown
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:28 pm wrote:Showed some bottle putting away that first penalty, I could hardly watch, it's easy looking back now after a comfortable win and thinking it was never in doubt but at 0-0 and our title hopes on the line that took some serious nerve.

I believe he is enjoying his best ever penalty sequence...would have been great if he had completed the hat-trick of penalties
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Yakka - I agree with the majority of what you say. I just take exception to your use of the word liability. Sorry but I just can't use that word and Gerrard in the same sentence!  Let's leave it at that mate and enjoy what is turning out to be an amazing season.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

devaney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm wrote:Yakka - I agree with the majority of what you say. I just take exception to your use of the word liability. Sorry but I just can't use that word and Gerrard in the same sentence!  Let's leave it at that mate and enjoy what is turning out to be an amazing season.

Fair enough mate, not sure what other word I could have used though, weak link? albatross? millstone?  :;):  maybe I should get the thesaurus out   :D
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 am wrote:
devaney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 am wrote:Damjan - if you are happy for people to regard Gerrard as a liability and you don't feel that demonstrates a lack of respect for an absolute legend then you are welcome to your opinion. Forgive me if I don't share your views. In the not too distant past Gerrard has had to carry some thoroughly awful players who should never have been allowed anywhere near Anfield let alone playing for Liverpool FC. Thank goodness all that has changed and the lad is no longer having to do the work of three players and to be frank it is about time. I have no problem with constructive criticism but let's keep it real. I have stated on numerous occasions that there is a lot more to Gerrard than making a tackle or playing a killer pass.To be honest mate I think some people are a bit too quick to condemn certain players.Of course it is your absolute prerogative if you are content for that to be the case.

You are obviously a bit of a Gerrard fanboy and a bit touchy over the subject, never mind I was like that myself over Kevin Keegan.
Gerrard in the centre of the park was a liability and he'd still be a liability now if Rodgers played him further forward where he has to do the type of running Hendo and Allen do, and as for disrespecting a legend give me a break, I've repeatedly said the Gerrard is the best player I've ever seen at Anfield and considering some of the players I've seen play for this club there's no higher praise than that.
This club has often fell into the trap of letting the legends play on for too long, Shankly admitted himself that he did it en-masse in the late 60's and the rebuild ended up so drastic that we didn't win a trophy for 6 years, I've seen fans roll their eyes and hold their head in their hands in despair when they've seen the likes of Phill Neal and even Kenny Dalglish's name on the team sheet.
Gerrard at the moment deserves his place in the side on merit and that's how it should be, once you start playing players because of what they did 3 or 4 years ago then you are on a very slippery slope indeed.
No matter how great a player you are you can't dodge the effects of Father Time, Maradona couldn't, Pele couldn't, Cruyff couldn't, Gerrard is now 33 and that is some age to be playing 90 minutes week in week out in the quickest, most physically demanding league on the face of the planet, especially for a midfielder.
Gerrard is managing to do that because Rodgers is protecting him.

To be quite honest your posts (on this particular) are nothing short of laughable.

I've said pretty much from the start of the season that he's still a quality player and one of our best and funnily enough, my opinion of him hasn't changed. His legs may have gone slightly, he may be slower and have less stamina, no-one has disputed that, but to slag him off the way some have done this season is a joke.

Funnily enough I also "predicted"/could see that his form would massively improve once Lucas was no longer in the side. I suggested earlier in the season moving him further back to help mask one or two major weaknesses and thats exactly what Rodgers has done and suprise, suprise... its worked.

Gerrard is no longer world class, he's lost his physical edge, but to suggest he's not still a very good player and still one of the best in the league is complete stupidity and has been all season. Earlier in the season, carrying Lucas wasn't doing him or the side any favours.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Now he has settled into his new role he is like a man possessed. He virtually smashed the united team's will on his own with his play and his tackles.
Absolutely outstanding, and if he doesnt get injured in these last games then we will be champions
:bowdown
Thommo's perm

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I think we can all agree that Gerrard in this current position has been fantastic the only question I have is why did it take so long into the season to move him there?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 pm

LFC1990 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 pm wrote:I think we can all agree that Gerrard in this current position has been fantastic the only question I have is why did it take so long into the season to move him there?

How long is a piece of string?
Thommo's perm

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Depends how long you cut it

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Got no scissors
:down:
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I think Gerrards form has been as much about him as a man accepting the limitations of age and letting go
to allow colleagues to take responsibility on the field.

Its obvious he really trusts and rates his manager, and slowly but surely Gerrard has been coaxed into accepting
that he cannot and doesn't have to do every job on the field, and really that's all this has been about.

For so long he felt he had to do it all, and managers let him do it, perhaps holding back the development of
team mates and not helping their confidence.

All that has changed and we don't rely on Gerrard now, its helped him and the team develop, great work by
Rodgers and acceptance by our captain.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:55 am

One more yellow and he serves a two match ban. I'd put money on him picking one up against Sunderland. Our next two games are Tottenham and West Ham. Next after that is Man City.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am wrote:One more yellow and he serves a two match ban. I'd put money on him picking one up against Sunderland. Our next two games are Tottenham and West Ham. Next after that is Man City.

Spurs are no pushovers and Lucas has played about 2 minutes football since Christmas (he came on in injury time at the very end of the United game).
If (and this is a big if) we find ourselves in a comfortable position against Sunderland it may be wise to bring Lucas on to give him some game time.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am wrote:One more yellow and he serves a two match ban. I'd put money on him picking one up against Sunderland. Our next two games are Tottenham and West Ham. Next after that is Man City.

Spurs are no pushovers and Lucas has played about 2 minutes football since Christmas (he came on in injury time at the very end of the United game).
If (and this is a big if) we find ourselves in a comfortable position against Sunderland it may be wise to bring Lucas on to give him some game time.

I just think, despite Rodger's outward view to the press regarding 'next game focus only', he will have Man City in mind. A serious title challenge will rely on our ability to beat, or at least not lose to, Man City. Gerrard will be critical to that.

Spurs, whilst not a push over should be beatable at home with or without Gerrard.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion