Signing anyone ? - Make it big and make it quick !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:27 pm

doesn't look goodfor us getting tevez, from SSN:

Carlos Tevez has revealed he is "interested" in joining Internazionale.

The Argentine striker, currently preparing for the Copa America in Venezuela, says he knows the Italian champions are targeting him.

A number of the top Premier League clubs have been linked with the West Ham frontman but, with international team-mates including Hernan Crespo, Julio Cruz and Walter Samuel already plying their trade at the San Siro, it seems Serie A may now be his favoured destination.

"I know Inter are interested in me," said Tevez.

"It would be nice to play in Italy, especially in a team that has so many Argentinians.

"There will be some meetings, some discussions, but I really don't know anything official yet."

of course he says that there's been no contact as of yet but he seems more interested in moving abroad which is probobly best for him anyway given the whole saga towards the end of this season
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby grayghost » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 pm

If viila is leaving valencia who is he going to. Chelski don't look like they are gonna sign him they have just signed some donkey from Bayern and shev does'nt loook like he will be leaving.

I think Villa was Rafa fIrst choice striker that he would like to sign maybe all the talk about Tevez,Forlan,Henry,Etoo is all some sort of smoke screen for a huge deal including Villa maybe. :)
grayghost

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:39 pm

I made this point elsewhere and I'll make it again here.

Even if we do sign a top notch striker it remains to be seen whether Benitez will adapt his rotation system to accommodate him.

Personally I think Crouch should start more often but at this point I don't care what the partnership is but I'd love to see two of them getting a chance to develop a partnership of some kind. I know the sometimes use of one up front precludes this in every game but surely if a couple of these guys played 10 games in a row together then they develop a better partnership?

What's the point in spending 20 million on a striker who plays every third game with a different partner than he did three games previously?

Why is stability at the back more important than stability up front?

I still think we need a better striker but I think he needs to stop fcking around with the striking combination too.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:51 pm

stmichael wrote:I made this point elsewhere and I'll make it again here.

Even if we do sign a top notch striker it remains to be seen whether Benitez will adapt his rotation system to accommodate him.

Personally I think Crouch should start more often but at this point I don't care what the partnership is but I'd love to see two of them getting a chance to develop a partnership of some kind. I know the sometimes use of one up front precludes this in every game but surely if a couple of these guys played 10 games in a row together then they develop a better partnership?

What's the point in spending 20 million on a striker who plays every third game with a different partner than he did three games previously?

Why is stability at the back more important than stability up front?

I still think we need a better striker but I think he needs to stop fcking around with the striking combination too.

In fairness to Rafa last season he was desperately trying to find anyone who could score on a regular basis, especially away from home. I'm sure a big name striker would start almost every game.
I still have a feeling about Tevez though, there is so much smoke and mirrors before a big transfer, who knows what is actually going on.
heimdall

Postby grayghost » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Tevez would be my first choice Liverpool should have done a deal for him when he was't getting a game for west ham back when we got masherino. Could have saved a pretty penny then.
grayghost

Postby Guido the Killer Pimp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:02 pm

hicks has said in the papers that he will support rafa in the transfer market but "won't be spending money like a drunken sailor". i'm assuming he will have told benitez roughly what kind of limits he has, plus we will bring in say £9m if we let bellamy go and maybe 50p for salif diao, maybe a few mil for cisse

ie. enough money all in for a couple of decent calibre players. but what about parry's "2 high profile signings next week"? or was he just stringing us along and referring to gerrard & carra extending their contracts?

either way this is beginning to smell distinctly like last season. i haven't heard any stories about simao this week either, isn't it about time that rumour came up again?
Guido the Killer Pimp

Postby puroresu » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Guido the Killer Pimp wrote:hicks has said in the papers that he will support rafa in the transfer market but "won't be spending money like a drunken sailor". i'm assuming he will have told benitez roughly what kind of limits he has, plus we will bring in say £9m if we let bellamy go and maybe 50p for salif diao, maybe a few mil for cisse

ie. enough money all in for a couple of decent calibre players. but what about parry's "2 high profile signings next week"? or was he just stringing us along and referring to gerrard & carra extending their contracts?

either way this is beginning to smell distinctly like last season. i haven't heard any stories about simao this week either, isn't it about time that rumour came up again?

Nothing other than Benfica saying £12 mil is the amount they want for Simao.  Nothing less
puroresu

Postby Guido the Killer Pimp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:09 pm

puroresu wrote:
Guido the Killer Pimp wrote:hicks has said in the papers that he will support rafa in the transfer market but "won't be spending money like a drunken sailor". i'm assuming he will have told benitez roughly what kind of limits he has, plus we will bring in say £9m if we let bellamy go and maybe 50p for salif diao, maybe a few mil for cisse

Nothing other than Benfica saying £12 mil is the amount they want for Simao.  Nothing less

sooner or later the club must understand that these are the prices we will have to pay for top players, otherwise we lose even more ground on chelsea, man utd etc. £12m sounds about right for simao actually, i'd be ok with the club paying that for him
Guido the Killer Pimp

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:11 pm

deffianately we should hope that they keep gerrard and carra, but we need to be making some big signings, although if you look at some of rafa's other signings, voronin is a very confident buy on a free!, also that lukas "pezzini" leita, looks very compotent and if you look him up on video, he seems not unlike gerrard, albeit a younger version, sebastien leto is also a diverse young player liking to play on left of midfielder can come back into left wing back as to anymore i dont know!
flamingpoe

Postby redmikey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:40 pm

i am caught between the school of thinking that we should be spending as a sign of intent that we can compete with the biggest names in world football

and the penny pinching side of me that dosn't want to see GH type buys coming in for way over the market value, doiuf dioa etc

i am a little worried that the undertones from hicks and gillet have changed from we will buy any player rafa wants to well we won't be spending like a drunken sailor

but silly season could leave us a million miles behind chavski and manure if we are not careful down which ever path the club chooses
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:46 pm

redmikey wrote:i am a little worried that the undertones from hicks and gillet have changed from we will buy any player rafa wants to well we won't be spending like a drunken sailor

Hicks and Gillett said they would back Rafa and that signing players was "player specific".

Saying words to the effect of "we're not going to p!ss money up the wall" doesn't change anything in any way. Would you expect them to declare they want to spend money like a "drunken sailor"?
LFC2007

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 pm

i would be looking for different player to chav and unics, although i am dissapointed at unics getting anderson from porto he looks stupidly, stupidly good  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m10sl3iDVpk :(  , we should be looking at some younger wonderkids
flamingpoe

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:51 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
redmikey wrote:i am a little worried that the undertones from hicks and gillet have changed from we will buy any player rafa wants to well we won't be spending like a drunken sailor

Hicks and Gillett said they would back Rafa and that signing players was "player specific".

Saying words to the effect of "we're not going to p!ss money up the wall" doesn't change anything in any way. Would you expect them to declare they want to spend money like a "drunken sailor"?

Exactly. They also have to consider how what they say will effect negotiations in potential deals.

If Hicks/Gillett said "We've got a massive war chest and are willing to spend it", other clusb will hold us to ransom knwoing we will pay.

For example the only reason Drogba cost 24 million and Essien 30 million is because Lyon and Marseille knew Chelsea woudl pay whatever bloody amount so they made them pay stupid money.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:03 pm

All this mess would go away if the Americans and Parry just got their heads together and decided to give Rafa the budget he needs (within reason), and to take some decisive action to try and get the players he wants.

As things stand, that has not happened but it's not too late for them to do that, which is why I'm not going overboard on it until it's clear they haven't done what they said they were going to.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:20 pm

stmichael wrote:All this mess would go away if the Americans and Parry just got their heads together and decided to give Rafa the budget he needs (within reason), and to take some decisive action to try and get the players he wants.

As things stand, that has not happened but it's not too late for them to do that, which is why I'm not going overboard on it until it's clear they haven't done what they said they were going to.

There is no real mess St.Mick, we know nothing, all the paper talk is largely unsubstantiated, yet a lot of us are willing to believe that, rather than the words that have been spoken by the owners, the manager and the action of the re-signed players.

G&H have said a lot about backing the manager and getting him the players he wants, these are experienced business men, and experienced in the world of sport, so to make such bold statements and not back them up would be disasterous for them. I am sure they have seen how the Glazers are still derided by a lot of the mancs, and wouldn't want a situation like that after the welcome they have recieved.

I'd like to believe that the club is working towards securing the players Rafa wants, or at least those who are willing to come and that we can afford.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion