Ryan Babel - What do you think ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:31 am

7_Kewell wrote:personally i think Babel is one of the worst players i've seen in a red shirt for YEARS. We might as well have had 10 men against Real, because he did nothing. At one stage Alonso passed the ball to Babel and it hit his shins and went out of play.  :no  Seriously, i'd expect this from a 16 year old youth player thrown in as a last resort, not an international player who cost us over 11 million.

As far as I’m concerned Babel takes over from Diouf as being one of the worst signings in the clubs recent history*.

*I’ve excluded Keane from this because I don’t hold him to blame for his failed transfer.

:laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MASTER » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:personally i think Babel is one of the worst players i've seen in a red shirt for YEARS. We might as well have had 10 men against Real, because he did nothing. At one stage Alonso passed the ball to Babel and it hit his shins and went out of play.  :no  Seriously, i'd expect this from a 16 year old youth player thrown in as a last resort, not an international player who cost us over 11 million.

As far as I’m concerned Babel takes over from Diouf as being one of the worst signings in the clubs recent history*.

*I’ve excluded Keane from this because I don’t hold him to blame for his failed transfer.

:laugh:

And what exactly did Kuyt do? Except play as a second right-back.
Much prefer 22 year old with pace than an overrated striker who can't make simple choices and is incredibly greedy for a "team" player.
Anyway most people on here seem to be in love with Kuyt just like Rafa.
MASTER

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Babel is a player with talent , he's strong in the air , got loads of pace , his touch has been slightly better thsis season but his crossing needs to be worked on . All i'm saying is give him a decent run out in the team and we will see whether he can cut it or not , if not loan him and lucas out to where they can get first team football which will help their development

I gotta disagree mate.

Could you please explain to me how/why you think he's strong in the air? Bit baffled.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Effes wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Babel is a player with talent , he's strong in the air , got loads of pace , his touch has been slightly better thsis season but his crossing needs to be worked on . All i'm saying is give him a decent run out in the team and we will see whether he can cut it or not , if not loan him and lucas out to where they can get first team football which will help their development

I gotta disagree mate.

Could you please explain to me how/why you think he's strong in the air? Bit baffled.

There's nothing worse than being baffled by a Babelian.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Ryan babel is the most frustrating player I ´ve seen in the last years. HE HAS EVERYTHING to be a top class player. Pace, skills, power, shot....  but his character.... lack of confidence, immaturity, it´s obvious that to be a elite player you need to be more than a good player, you need brains.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 pm

he MIGHT have the potential to be a great player but RAFA is the wrong manager to be under to develop a young player due to his rotation beliefs. Of course, Rafa's beliefs will dent his confidence and stop him from learning his trade.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Big Niall wrote:he MIGHT have the potential to be a great player but RAFA is the wrong manager to be under to develop a young player due to his rotation beliefs. Of course, Rafa's beliefs will dent his confidence and stop him from learning his trade.

Is Rafa guilty of the world financial crisis too? ???

Did he kill John lennon??? 

Was Rafa the man who blame for the aviar flu??

The twin towers terrorist attack??
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Alex G. wrote:
Big Niall wrote:he MIGHT have the potential to be a great player but RAFA is the wrong manager to be under to develop a young player due to his rotation beliefs. Of course, Rafa's beliefs will dent his confidence and stop him from learning his trade.

Is Rafa guilty of the world financial crisis too? ???

Did he kill John lennon??? 

Was Rafa the man who blame for the aviar flu??

The twin towers terrorist attack??

no, but he was the man in the grassy knowel. that smig doesn't work as disguise to me :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:30 am

I don't get how people think he has everything to be a class player, he doesn't.  So what if he's fast?  He isn't smart and can't do anything but try to run past people with the occassional trick to get by one.  I don't see any potential in him honestly, his touch is bad, he can't pass and he tries way too hard and too often to do a miracle run past the entire defense.  There is more potential in Lucas than there is in Babel.
Zidane

Postby puroresu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:59 am

Rafa paid way over the odds for Babel.  Nobody else was gonna pay what we paid.
puroresu

Postby Effes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:07 am

I remember when we signed Babel.

Quite a lot of Ajax fans came on here saying we'd paid way over the odds.
They said he was good, but NOT worth £11.5M.

If you ask me, that was the writing on the wall.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:17 am

Effes wrote:I remember when we signed Babel.

Arsenal wanted him but no way was Wenger gonna pay £11.5 mil.  After the Keane debacle I am surprised we havent heard people say Rafa didnt want Babel and it was Parry that signed him.
puroresu

Postby Number 9 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:22 am

Effes wrote:I remember when we signed Babel.

They told lies,he's no where near good.The truth is there are better players at relegation struggling sides and in the Championship too!
I dont blame Rafa for buying him cause he looked like a good prospect(though the price was steep) but I do think its time to let go and say he's not gonna make it.
We have flogged a dead horse for too long with Babel!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby frankp57 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:27 am

Quite simply he hasn't produced since arriving at the club. Nor does it look as though he will either. It would seem that Rafa prefers to use him as an impact player but has he ever been used regularly in that role before for either Ajax or Holland?. He prefers to play as a striker and strikers are so reliant on confidence. Clearly his confidence is shot at.

So when he is very often used as a last 10 minute sub left-winger what exactly are we expecting from him. What is Rafa expecting from him. Sometimes it makes you wonder what coaches see in a player to think that they can turn him into a totally different player.

In short we signed a centre-forward. Rafa is trying to turn him into a left-winger. He's not a left-winger. So either play him as a centre-forward or get rid.
frankp57

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:31 am

Good post Frank, I like the cut of your jib. You'll find that such logic will attract plenty of aggro, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I was you.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion