Ryan Babel - What do you think ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mistyred » Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 am

FFS give the bloke a chance, his first season and some on here are so god damn picky it's not as if he's completely useless and :censored:, he has alot about him skill,pace and a rocket for a shot
he might not be Thiery Henry but so what? i would rather have a Ryan Babel somebody that's not compared to anybody else.

I hope he turns out to be a top notch player and i think he will, i support Liverpool and i hope even :censored: players become good BUT i don't put Babel into that bracket i think in his first
season he's done very well and i hope to god he can and will only get better.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 11, 2008 12:50 pm

I've been critical of Babel at times this season but have been more impressed with him in recent games.  For me, it comes down to his attitude.  There's no question he has skills** but it's in the application of those skills that we see the difference between a 'prospect' and a true performer.  There's been times this season where Babel has seemed to lack a bit of bottle and there's been times where he's just not seemed on the same wavelength as his teammates--as though he were mentally switched off.  I hope that, as he settles and grows more accustomed to the league, his teammates, our tactics and his own role, it'll click for him and he'll show us more consistent flashes of what he's capable of.

In a way, I think Babel's suffered a bit from Torres's success.  The Spaniard has taken to English football like a duck to water and makes this whole "give him time to settle and adjust" argument look like a nonsense.  Babel was signed the same summer as Torres and has played regularly in the past few months so it's easy to make the comparison, even if only subconsciously.  But, not all players slot right into a new league, new team etc. straight away or with as much demonstrable success as Torres.  Babel needs more time to find his feet and less pressure to match Torres, be the next Henri, etc.

And, on the subject of Babel and Torres, I don't expect that Rafa will pair the two up top anytime soon.  First of all, I think he would have least tried the partnership out by now if he intended to deploy it in the future.  The fact that he hasn't--especially in the winter when we were playing 4-4-2 but with struggling second strikers--is telling.  I think Torres and Babel would be too samey to be an ideal strike partnership in Rafa's eyes.  So, for the Dutchman to get a game in his preferred position, I think Torres will have to be injured, suspended or recharging his "delayed gazelle" powerpacks on the bench. :D

**One technical area of his that needs a bit of work, IMO, is his shooting accuracy.  He's got a hell of a shot on him but needs to work the keeper more.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby zarababe » Sun May 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Babel is work in progress and for his first season has shone on occassions and frustrated too. When he has delighted, the potential is there to see - the next few seasons should see him come in to his own and it is too eary to judge whether or not he will mature in to the player whose flashes of skill indicate the talent is there, but  time is needed to establish consistency and confidence.

End of year report - great potential, but much progress to be made to realise it - rtoll on season 2008/09 !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun May 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
s@int wrote:I think he has done OK this season without having a great game to his name yet. He has scored some good goals and given glimpses of what he is capable of, but I still have my doubts. He certainly needs to toughen up as Nanny has already said, and start using his left foot occasionally if only to put a little doubt in the oppositions mind as to what he is going to do.

If I had to guess I would say he will be a decent player but not quite what we are looking for (Pongole) rather than the new Henry.

The thing is, S@int, remember Henry in his first two seasons with Arsenal? He looked average. Babel has actually done very well if what he says is true about setting himself a benchmark of 10 goals for himself to reach personally. He's been more of an impact player and has done great considering he's not playing in his natural position. If he continues to improve, then we could have a potential superstar playing for us within the next few years IMO. We haven't seen the best of him yet by any stretch. He's also probably got the most fierce right foot strike in the Prem since Hasselbaink. We just haven't seen enough of it yet.

Here we go... :no

What complete utter rubbish!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Great to see you in a typically joyus mood as per usual Stu!! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sun May 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Has lots of promise, has shown glimpses of what he can do and has shown elements of his game that he must erradicate if he wants to be truly world class. The potential is there, it dosnt take a football coach with 20 years of ecperience to see that. A great buy imo.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Sun May 11, 2008 8:04 pm

10 goals from the wing (mainly) is alright for a first season

he will be great.

we do however need top quality wide men now if we are gonna challenge.

would prefer babel to be given more games up front, cause he blatantly isnt a wide man cause he cant cross.
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 11, 2008 9:40 pm

"The future is Ryan Babel". He doesn't have the finishing of El Nino, but he needs to be playing right alongside him. He has amazing touch, and he's very very aggressive. If Rafa allows it, he will become a Kop Hero within the next 5 years.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

SundanceKid wrote:He has amazing touch, and he's very very aggressive.

??? I must have missed that match.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Sun May 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Ditto.

I think his close control is his weakness.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Effes wrote:I dont think he's that good to be honest.

Maybe if we'd seen "flashes" of brilliance I'd have higher hopes.

But I haven't, so i haven't.

-Babel won the penalty that defeated Arsenal in the Champions League Quarterfinals. He also finished them off with that run, despite the fact the goalkeeper came out and that he was being tugged down by Fabregas.

-Goal against Besiktas, the little behind-the-back flick with his ankle that Benny gave him as Babel was running away from the goal. How could you possibly forget that?

-Goal against Marseille. He wrapped around the keeper for an empty net. How many times have you seen Rafael Benitez respond to a goal that way?

-Goal against Derby. Do I honestly need to explain that one? Made two defenders slide tackle into each other, then he even fooled the keeper.

-King Kenny says, "He will terrify players in the Premier League now, I hope. He's quick, strong and you can't guess what he's going to do next because he's a bag of tricks"

None of this memorable to you? You did not see any future with this guy when you saw these goals?
SundanceKid

Postby Effes » Sun May 11, 2008 10:05 pm

SundanceKid wrote:None of this memorable to you? You did not see any future with this guy when you saw these goals?

Fraid not no.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Yeah, that Inter Milan game was a nice match. Shame you missed him dance around Zanetti and Maicon at the same time. Some other time in the match, he elbowed Maicon in the mouth when Maicon attempted to stab in for the ball. That's aggressive in my eyes.

As for touch, if you haven't seen his touch, it's because he moves too quick for you  :D
Last edited by SundanceKid on Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SundanceKid

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 11, 2008 10:39 pm

SundanceKid wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Yeah, that Inter Milan game was a nice match. Shame you missed him dance around Zanetti and Maicon at the same time. Some other time in the match, he elbowed Maicon in the mouth when Maicon attempted to stab in for the ball. That's aggressive in my eyes.

As for touch, if you haven't seen his touch, it's because he moves too quick for you  :D

Whatever, lad.  He's a good, promising young player but you're way overhyping him.  His touch is decent not spectacular and his aggression--or lack thereof--is one of his biggest liabilities, IMO.  I've seen numerous occasions this season where 50/50 balls were there to be won and he's held back.  That's why I say he's not aggressive enough.  BTW, elbowing a player is not good aggression, it's stupidity. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby SundanceKid » Mon May 12, 2008 1:50 am

Bad Bob wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Whatever, lad.  He's a good, promising young player but you're way overhyping him.  His touch is decent not spectacular and his aggression--or lack thereof--is one of his biggest liabilities, IMO.  I've seen numerous occasions this season where 50/50 balls were there to be won and he's held back.  That's why I say he's not aggressive enough.  BTW, elbowing a player is not good aggression, it's stupidity. :no

Well he didn't really elbow him, he shrugged him off when Maicon made physical contact. If you saw him do it, I think you'd be a little proud he's playing for Liverpool.

Say what you will about Babel. I like him, Kenny likes him, Rafa obviously likes him. That's all I need to convince me he's going to be vital.
SundanceKid

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion