Robbie keane was a red thread - Lasting memories of robbie

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 am

would prefer to leave it free until we get a real deal creative player
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 am

I think I would probably play safe and give it to Pacheco or Nemeth...... take a bit of the pressure off the shirt. Its been a bit of a jinx for a while now.

Nigel Clough, Steve McManaman, Vladimir Smicer, Harry Kewell, Robbie Keane
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:31 am

I know the number 7 is an important part of Liverpools history but these days squad numbers are not that important anymore. One of our best players is currently making the number 14 his own (Alonso) and Skrtel is number 37
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 am

gerrard also with the 8 and carra with the 23 .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 am

Yeah bit what im saying is that the traditional 1 to 11 days are gone
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:41 am

oh definatly mate - there is not many clubs that have numbers that are so sacred like our number 7
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:43 am

bigmick wrote:Quick question, is it Ok to call Taff, "Taff" since he actually has it as his name  ??? Because "Taff" as far as I'm aware is a geographic group nickname, ie those who come from Wales are sometimes called "Taffs". Just checking, and while we're at it can we clear up "scouser", "cockney", "Manc" (that must be OK surely, it's onamatapeic (well it isn't but you get my drift). Geordie and the like must be Ok, Brummie and all them? It's a bit confusing sometimes particularly when these little sub groups call themselves by these names, and use it in generic terms themselves but others aren't allowed to go there. A good example of that is n!gger, not that I am complaining about not being able to use it, it's a horrible word. A bit like c..., or crevice, that's a dirty word  :D, security on the other hand isn't.

The difference with those terms and the word Paddy is Paddy has been used for years in England as a derogatory term towards Irish people. You can't just say "well i dont think the word Paddy is offensive so i'll use it when i like" thats like if i felt the word Paki wasn't offensive and used it whenever describing a pakistani person or even Jap to describe a Japanese person, both harmless abbreviations some might say but on the other hand i'm sure most would agree here they're both ignorant and stereotypical terms as is the word Paddy.
RedRoots

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:13 am

RedRoots wrote:You can't just say "well i dont think the word Paddy is offensive so i'll use it when i like"

Ah that's cool then because I never said that.

In actual fact I didn't use the term in the first place, I was just looking for some clarification. There hasn't really been any so far.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:23 am

n saying that, I believe that most "Offence" is actually used as a weapon to gain the moral high ground on something. But Bam's original post was said with a certain amount of spite, if not anger and it's in those moments that we should all check the words we use carefully

Tonyeh my use of Paddy wasnt used in Spite, far from it. But I'll refrain from using the word as it seems to offend most people.

Just remember, to the Irish posters who were offended by the words Paddy, from now on refrain from using the words, Cockney, Brum, Manc, Scouser and Taff so double standards dont form. :;):

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 am

I must say I've been surprised by this little exchange. Just about the only thing which to my mind Bam got wrong was the assumption that Tony Cascarino was or is a "paddy". If you've read his excellent book (the name of which escapes me right now) you'll know that he had already played God knows how many games for Ireland before it came to light that he wasn't actually eligable. Still, all that aside I think he writes well and often offers an interesting insight. He's originally from the Kent sort of area I believe, and is more of a (if I may use another racial term) a pikey than anything else, or traveller if you prefer.

I didn't think Bams statement that all the paddy's are coming out in support of Keane to be spightful at all. I didn't think it was derogatory to Irish people either. Now I know some people have ventured the view that if a person finds a remark offensive, then by definition it is out of order and that's that. That's fair enough I suppose, but given the fact that some of the Irish people on here seem utterly OK with the whole thing, it does make it kind of difficult.

I've seen many posts on here referring to "fecking Yanks", "fecking greedy y@nk barstards feck off home you c...s" and the like. I haven't noticed anyone being massively concerned if Joe Terp, Jon F or the basketball bloke were offended by all that. Perhaps even the term Yank is offensive for all I know, it just seems that some are and some aren't. If we were to talk of "fecking Paddy c...s" I could understnad the furore, but as it is I think it's a bit mystifying.

I've copped a fair bit of flack over the years on here. All the flack I've copped though is off people who think I'm a c... regardless of where I come from, which is of course entirely their privilage. It's a strange world :) .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:20 am

The last person to call me a 'paddy' on here turned out to be called Stuart Murphy.

Ah,the irony.:D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 am

greenred wrote:The last person to call me a 'paddy' on here turned out to be called Stuart Murphy.

Ah,the irony.:D

:laugh: Fair play.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 am

oreilly wrote:im irish and i dont consider being called a paddy offensive,  paddy to me is usually said by a happy american or brit - no harm ment, just a term of endearment --------- thats my view anyway

Good on ye lad.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby greenred » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:31 am

[quote="Bam"][/quote]
Anyone called me a 'paddy' to my face and i would make sure they didn't speak another word for several weeks.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:39 am

So (and I ask this in all seriousness) is it fair to say that the term "paddy" being seen as derogatory is a fairly recent phenomenon? Try saying that when you've got a Nuttals Minto in your mouth.

It's just I distictly remember Irish comedians using the term in jokes, "Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a pub, Paddy says....." etc etc etc.

I can't help thinking that sometimes we all allow oursleves to get offended by things are said in the most innoccuous way. That said, if it really is on the taboo list of words (alongside Nigger, Pakki, Yid etc) then I for one will tread carefully around it in the future. I can't remember the last time I used the term mind, it was probably when I was with a load of Irish people and they were using it.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion