Question mark over rafa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:19 pm

Gerard Houllier had terrible luck with injuries last season, but the difference was that he had a squad he'd assembled over five years; the reserves should have been exactly what he wanted, as he'd signed or groomed them all, without exception. Rafa hasn't had the time to buy squad players and develop the youngsters. He has to work with what he has been left. Over twice as many players exited Anfield this summer as arrived.

If anyone had lingering doubts over the quality of the club's name, it was there in the ability to attract Rafa Benitez as manager. Maybe he'll never get the credit he deserves, as a non-flashy leader; it was interesting to see Frank Rijkaard finish higher in European Manager of the Year: Rijkaard awakening a sleeping giant with millions of pounds, but winning nothing. People must have forgotten Rafa's La Liga title and Uefa Cup.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:36 pm

Rafa is actually progressing the team. Even if we don't win anything and finish 6th this season, I will be very optimistic for the next season.

Funny barcelona is mentioned here, because i reckon we will do a "barcelona" next season.

Rijkaard had a torried first few months last season. But barcelona managed to finish that season well. Now ithas continued that form to this season.

Rafa had a few potentially torrid moments in the last couple of months. Now things are starting to look good (injured players are back & new signings coming in). We should finish the season well. Watch us next season  :D

But i reckon we will do 1 better than barcelona. WE ARE GONNA WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:40 pm

The_Rock wrote:Now things are starting to look good (injured players are back & new signings coming in). We should finish the season well. Watch us next season  :D

But i reckon we will do 1 better than barcelona. WE ARE GONNA WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON.

i agree. the champions league should be a doddle. we'll walk it! :D

We have a lot of players who, through injury or rotation, will be fit and fresh for the second half of the season - vital as players like Gerrard, Baros and Alonso were at Euro 2004. And Arsenal aside, all of the top eight have to come to Anfield. Despite news of our demise, we are in the semi-finals of the Carling Cup and the last sixteen of the Champions League. We have finally found the character and composure to come from behind to win games. There are plenty of very positive signs, but of course no-one can be happy until we're above Everton in the top four. It will happen - rest easy. :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Devestatin Dave (yeah) » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:09 pm

All the top 8 to come to Anfield.....Good research St Mike!!! And we will tonk the lot!
Devestatin Dave (yeah)

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:34 pm

top 8 but 1.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:05 pm

The_Rock wrote:top 8 but 1.....

i know. that's why i said "arsenal aside"  :p  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
taff wrote:I reckon Alonso was the big buy and the rest squad players although if you look at it that way better squad players that the ones he inherited.

Its hard to judge until we really see him in the transfer market and apart from some activity in Jan that wont really happen till next summer

Nunez part of the Owen deal, Garcia is a good link player and a handy choice while Josemi has freed up Carragher by having two options on the right side as Henchoz looks on his way out

Good points Taff ,Alonso is exceptional and although the other spanish lads haven't exactly set the place on fire overall the squad is looking stronger .
I have no doubt that given time Rafa will get us back to the top .

That's a thought the other Spanish players are mainly here to make Alonso feel at home, particularly as they cannot get back to spain for Christmas.  :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:13 pm

Eh?

The boss buys one player and then buys three other players of the same nationality just to make the first guy feel at home?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:58 pm

Logical conclusion from following the posts !!  The thought would never have occured to me though !!  :;):
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby wet echo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:06 pm

i smell a blue
wet echo

Postby Redrider » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:03 am

Get a new nose !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:17 am

I agree with some of the comments
perhaps the other 3 Spanish lads havn't done quite as much as Alonso
but in terms of strengthening the squad - they are a hundred percent better than the previous manager - don't know if that's a compliment or not
I must admit - the first game or 2 I saw Josemi play - I thought he was going to blow the Premiership wingers away - but he does seem to have gone off the boil a little bit - and he's had a few injuries
I think he'll come good
Nunez - still to early to give an honest opinion (but I trust RAFA)
Alonso - CLASS
Garcia - I hope will become a legend - but to be honest I can see him staying a bit of an Enigma - fantastic at home - goes walkies in away games - still a bit early to judge in his first season in the premiership - he's done ok so far
RAFA - Pure class (could not have gone for a better foreign manager & after Houllier - he's had a lot to sort out - I've been well impressed with him)
SouthernScouser

Postby wiped » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:26 am

I was watching You're on Sky Sports the other night and some "n0bjockey" rang up slating Benitez and saying his must go ..... what furkin planet are people like him living on ?
Benitez has inherited Houlier's mess and it's not gonna get fixed by the flick of a switch .... Realistically I can see this season being a "nothing season" (although I'll gladly eat my words if it isn't) ... next season a season of strengthening further and by his 3rd season in charge , serious title and European contenders ...

give him ... TIME GENTLEMEN , PLEASE !!!
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:37 am

I've no doubt Rafa Benitez is the man for the job.I'm certainly more entertained at Anfield these day,watching some class players attacking for a change.

Steven Gerrard was Rafa's first signing that's for sure;if GH was still in control Stevie would have been out the door.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:37 am

Alonsooooo.. no doubt class

Garcia... good and time to improve..

Nunez... looks decent, but needs time to embed (climatize)

Joshemi... started well.. needs to be grounded in the Premiership... like a bull to a red rag at the mo

Rafael Benitez... Pure class... respect for the boss.. how lucky are we to have him. Restoring faith and confidence in LFC becoming a real force again
Last edited by zarababe on Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion