Mark lawrenson - Why don't he f*&k off!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simic_ie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:04 am

See Jocky is getting excited as well :D

Liverpool's brilliant defensive display against Juventus in Turin set up an all-Premiership Champions League semi-final against Chelsea - and the once unlikely possibility that my old club could claim the trophy for a fifth time.

You gauge the health of your domestic league not by how many teams you get to European semi-finals but by how many you get to finals.

And the simple fact that the Premiership is guaranteed one representative in European football's elite club competition is a sign that all is well at the top end of the table in England.

If there is a downside in Liverpool's season, it is the maddening inconsistency that means they can lose miserably at Manchester City on a Saturday and play like heroes against Juventus on a Wednesday.

Rafael Benitez will know this must be cured and outstanding European displays must be integrated into Premiership performances next season.

But, in the expertise he has shown tactically in Europe and the brilliant displays of his team, Benitez has not only given Liverpool fans hope, but massive optimism.

Juventus were incredibly inept in Turin but take nothing away from Liverpool - and my growing feeling that they could actually win the Champions League comes from the way they coped with the two distinct faces of European football in this quarter-final.

They rolled over the top of Juventus at Anfield, then defended with great organisation and resilience away from home.

I recall a backs-to-the-wall performance against Bayern Munich in Germany in the European Cup semi-final in 1981, when we were without key defenders and lost Kenny Dalglish after seven minutes.

Liverpool's performance, without Steven Gerrard and a host of others, reminded me of that in Turin.

Chelsea will be favourites for the semi-final, while AC Milan will be favourites to claim the trophy, particularly when looking such a magnificent side in beating a Manchester United team that was flying when they met in the last 16.

There may be a growing feeling inside Anfield that this unlikely adventure could go all the way
Hansen on Liverpool's growing European ambitions
But Liverpool have shown that, on a given day, they can beat anyone - and that's why I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that they could win the whole thing.

No-one, myself including, would have given Liverpool a prayer of doing that, not least when they turned in abject displays against the likes of Birmingham and Southampton earlier this season.

But in Europe they are a team transformed and have shown that they can threaten anyone.

Chelsea may be 30 points ahead of Liverpool in the Premiership and have three wins under their belt against them this season but, in a strange way, Benitez can take heart from those games.

I recall when I played for a dominant Liverpool, Chelsea had an Indian sign over us in the cup competitions and I remember coming a cropper on a couple of occasions.

And over two legs of a European semi-final there can be many twists and turns. Liverpool will be underdogs but they will have faith in themselves after the way they dispatched Bayer Leverkusen and Juventus.

Liverpool played badly at Stamford Bridge and lost but in the narrow 1-0 defeat at Anfield and in the loss in the Carling Cup final, they more than matched Chelsea for long periods.

And this will not be like some cagey European affair.

The semi-final will be a typical Premiership collision, with tackles flying in and no room for the faint-hearted.

Chelsea's confidence will be high and they have some real thoroughbreds in their team, but Liverpool will know they are three games away from the big prize.

Liverpool's fans have had some terrible lows in recent times and just to reach the Champions League semi-final will give them a massive high.

But there may just be a growing feeling inside Anfield, both from players and supporters, that this unlikely adventure could go all the way to the final destination in Istanbul on 25 May.

From BBC.co.uk
Last edited by simic_ie on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:39 am

it's a dann shame that Lawrenson is such an @rse now, as he was an excellent centre-half for us.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:08 am

FrankM wrote:He reminds me of a broken clock. He is right once every day but wrong for the other 83,399 seconds

Actually its 86,399 seconds

Actually he will be right twice a day  :p
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:25 am

I am sure he thinks it's funny to take the wazz. Pity he doesn't realise that scouse humour doesn't stretch to include w*nkers.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:59 am

Tell you summat though, Phil Thompson is a red through and through! He was commentating on the LFC v Juve game on Sky Sports News and towards the end he was nervous for the team. He's always supporting the team! Top bloke, shame that Lawro isn't of the same mould but saying that, Lawro isnt half the player Thommo was.

W@nker, thats all I can say!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:30 am

Santa wrote:
FrankM wrote:He reminds me of a broken clock. He is right once every day but wrong for the other 83,399 seconds

Actually its 86,399 seconds

Actually he will be right twice a day  :p

Sorry 86,398 seconds
FrankM

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:52 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I am sure he thinks it's funny to take the wazz. Pity he doesn't realise that scouse humour doesn't stretch to include w*nkers.

Guess you dont remember Jimmy Tarbuck then?
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:04 am

Lee J wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:I am sure he thinks it's funny to take the wazz. Pity he doesn't realise that scouse humour doesn't stretch to owt, coz i'm a w*nker.

Guess you dont remember Jimmy Tarbuck then?. me too also

boys boys  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:55 am

The Return of the Judge wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:I am sure he thinks it's funny to take the wazz. Pity he doesn't realise that scouse humour doesn't stretch to owt, coz i'm a w*nker.

Guess you dont remember Jimmy Tarbuck then?. me too also

"boys boys boys, I'm looking for a good time, la la la la la la" :D

Just singing your favourite song again I see....

bless ya, ya big doyley!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 pm

doyley :D  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:11 am

THANKS FOR MY HUMBLE PIE.....IT'LL BE A PLEASURE
Daily Post 19 April 2005

"THOSE of you who are regular readers of this column will remember that I said I'd have to eat humble pie if Liverpool made it past Juventus in the Champions League, having gone with my head and not my heart," says Mark Lawrenson 

Well, it turns out that a regular reader is Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry, who sent me a giant humble pie this week. It was suitably decorated with the Champions League logo and LFC and suitably tasty.

For me as a former Liverpool player, the victory was a sweet one, and if Liverpool play like that in every game until the end of the season, I'd happily wolf down plenty more pies in celebration.

My bleak verdict for Liverpool had stemmed largely from the injury to Steven Gerrard that ruled him out of the Turin trip.

What I failed to take into account was that they would put in such a remarkable team performance that it left the Italians lumping long balls forward, which was game over tactically.

I also failed to realise the effect on the team that the returning Xabi Alonso would have. I was in Turin and I can't remember the Spaniard wasting a pass.

To come into a game such as that, with as much at stake and after so long out, and perform as he did, speaks volumes for the quality that simply oozes from everything he does.

I love watching him play, and I bet Fernando Morientes - and the rest of Liverpool's strikers - must be feeling the same way, because of his country-man's ability to play people in and pick a pass.

The return of Alonso and Djibril Cisse is a massive boost for Rafael Benitez, after what seems like an eternity of anxiously watching the treat-ment room door to see who would go in to it next.

The pair of them will be running on adrenaline for the first game or two, and the challenge after that is to maintain their standards while their bodies feel like taking a break.

If Alonso especially can do that, I believe it will be a real boost also for Gerrard because having Alonso in the team will allow him to play in a more advanced role.

Thinking back to earlier in the season, Liverpool's best results came when Benitez played Gerrard off the striker, with Alonso providing the ammunition from deep. That same system - almost a 4--2-3-1 - will be in evidence at Fratton Park tomorrow in a game Liverpool have to win.

If this were October or November, if you got a point from a trip to Portsmouth you'd probably feel that was all right - even though you probably should get a win. A draw is no good now though because with Everton playing Manchester United, Liverpool have a chance to do what they have failed to do on several occasions before - climb into fourth place..

It seems like every time that carrot has been dangled up to now, they have slipped up and fallen back.

If that happens tomorrow, there's a chance they could be six points behind Everton and all but out of the running for that fourth place in the Premiership.

But with Alonso's influence releasing Gerrard to roam further forward, I take Liverpool to win.

And this time I hope my predictions aren't quite so pie in the sky!

What a two-faced tw@t.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:05 am

LFC #1 wrote:What a two-faced tw@t.

Don't worry come next week his tone will take another 180 degrees change again...how the old mighthy Chelsea can succeed Man Utd blah blah blah
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion