Progress, our squad, time, investment.. - And why we need a new manager.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Sabre wrote:Strange. I'd like to know what the fúck is going on.

Wouldn't we all, mate, wouldn't we all?  For me, though, I just can't imagine a scenario where there's a "reasonable" explanation for this.  I hope to stand corrected on that view at some point but I don't see it happening.  Very unhappy camper at the moment.  :glare:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 pm

Keane seals £12m Tottenham return   

Keane watched Liverpool's win over Chelsea from the stands on Sunday
Tottenham have re-signed striker Robbie Keane from Liverpool, six months after he left the club for £20.3m.

Keane has signed a four-year contract at Spurs with the fee starting at £12m and rising with add-ons.

"It was a difficult decision to make to leave Tottenham in the summer," the 28-year-old told the club website.

"It proved not to be the right move for me. I know some Spurs fans will feel I let them down... but I can assure them I'll be giving my all."

He added: "This club has terrific fans and I want to repay them for all their support. We've got to get on and fight our way up that league table."  We never wanted Robbie to leave in the summer

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy

Keane joined Liverpool from Spurs in July for £20.3m but failed to establish himself in manager Rafael Benitez's first-team.

bbc online
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Well I predicted that there'd be a "Keane wasn't Rafa's signing" bandwagon, and I got that one spot on. Lets have another go... I reckon that if we start to look like we could do with another striker (Torres gets injured/Gerrard gets injured/either get suspended/either gets tired/we discover that Babel isn't only sh!t at wide midfield, he's also sh!t up top/we were right all along about Egg Nog) my prediction is this. There will be a bandwagon which starts up saying that Rafa never wanted to see Keane, Parry done it :D I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous now, but mark my words nobody went for the "Keane was Parry's signing" for a bit, then they were all over it.

This is where you heard it first, Rafa actually really rated Keane and never wanted to sell him, (remember his "I think he'll still be here" interview?, there you go then!).
Rafa wanted to keep Keane, it was Parry who sold him. It's not offical yet but it will be before long  :;): .
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm

bigmick wrote:Well I predicted that there'd be a "Keane wasn't Rafa's signing" bandwagon, and I got that one spot on. Lets have another go... I reckon that if we start to look like we could do with another striker (Torres gets injured/Gerrard gets injured/either get suspended/either gets tired/we discover that Babel isn't only sh!t at wide midfield, he's also sh!t up top/we were right all along about Egg Nog) my prediction is this. There will be a bandwagon which starts up saying that Rafa never wanted to see Keane, Parry done it :D I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous now, but mark my words nobody went for the "Keane was Parry's signing" for a bit, then they were all over it.

This is where you heard it first, Rafa actually really rated Keane and never wanted to sell him, (remember his "I think he'll still be here" interview?, there you go then!).
Rafa wanted to keep Keane, it was Parry who sold him. It's not offical yet but it will be before long  :;): .

Just seen it mate in the Keane thread  :D

Postby tonyeh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Who'll be surprised if the grand plan will be to recall Voronin?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA..........

Oh my god, say it isn't so.

You know, when discussing Benitez's decisions and so-called "tactics" I am sometimes I'm remnded of that classic line from "Blackadder goes forth", where Blackadder explains to Baldrick how the complex rules of Europe's Super Blocks were designed to stop European countries going to war and how that failed

..."there was just tiny flaw in the plan...it was bollox"

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CAh3Mb3Z9SM&feature=related
tonyeh

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well I predicted that there'd be a "Keane wasn't Rafa's signing" bandwagon, and I got that one spot on. Lets have another go... I reckon that if we start to look like we could do with another striker (Torres gets injured/Gerrard gets injured/either get suspended/either gets tired/we discover that Babel isn't only sh!t at wide midfield, he's also sh!t up top/we were right all along about Egg Nog) my prediction is this. There will be a bandwagon which starts up saying that Rafa never wanted to see Keane, Parry done it :D I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous now, but mark my words nobody went for the "Keane was Parry's signing" for a bit, then they were all over it.

Sheesh I've got to be quicker. OK here's another. If Babel comes on for Torres and starts banging goals in left right and centree, it'll be because Rafa prepared him perfectly by not playing him ever up top over the last two seasons. His spell at left wing, followed by his prolonged spell sitting on his erse will have been an absolute masterstroke, tactical genius. Rafa will have known all along then Ryna had it in him, he was simply waiting his moment.

If on the other hand Babel comes in for Torres and is sh!t, Parry signed him   :D  :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

tonyeh wrote:

You know, when discussing Benitez's decisions and so-called "tactics" I am sometimes I'm remnded of that classic line from "Blackadder goes forth", where Blackadder explains to Baldrick how the complex rules of Europe's Super Blocks were designed to stop European countries going to war and how that failed

You being Baldrick of course.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 pm

tonyeh wrote:

:D  :laugh: Absolute classic line that from a great show  :laugh: .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 pm

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:

Sheesh I've got to be quicker. OK here's another. If Babel comes on for Torres and starts banging goals in left right and centree, it'll be because Rafa prepared him perfectly by not playing him ever up top over the last two seasons. His spell at left wing, followed by his prolonged spell sitting on his erse will have been an absolute masterstroke, tactical genius. Rafa will have known all along then Ryna had it in him, he was simply waiting his moment.

If on the other hand Babel comes in for Torres and is sh!t, Parry signed him   :D  :laugh:

If I was Rafa I would be fighting tooth and nail to keep Parry at Liverpool, because as long as he's there Rafa can do no wrong. Ever good decision is Rafa's, anything that goes wrong.....its that stupid c*nt Parry's fault.  :D

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:32 pm

His exit marks a significant political victory for Benítez, the Liverpool manager who is seeking greater autonomy over transfers at Anfield. The Spaniard, who is hopeful of a breakthrough on his contract following a meeting on Sunday with Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the Liverpool co-owners, was incensed at his employers' refusal to meet Aston Villa's £18m valuation of Gareth Barry last August and that the Keane deal had been concluded ahead of Barry, although he recommended both targets to the Anfield board.

Consequently, the striker found himself a pawn in the power-struggle between Benítez and the club's hierarchy, with the manager seeking the authority over deals that currently belongs to Rick Parry, the chief executive, and pushed towards the exit with omissions from the Liverpool squads to face Everton in the FA Cup and Chelsea in the Premier League.

Benítez was the main force behind Keane's departure and his success indicates he now has the backing of at least Hicks over the club's transfer business. The timing of the striker's move, however, made it impossible for Liverpool to sign a replacement and the title contenders are now more reliant than ever on Torres to lead their attack.
  link

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 pm

My frustration has mellowed to depression  :(

I wish it could just be about football but instead we've got owners who can't stand eachother, a manager who can't stand the CEO, a CEO who is backed by one owner and not the other, and 500,000 fans who can't stand either of the owners. Who knows how many different agendas there are. It's all a mess.

I've got my fingers (and everything else crossed) that Torres stays fit, Babel turns out to be an ace in the pack and Deadly Dirk becomes......um.......Deadly.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Scottbot wrote:My frustration has mellowed to depression  :(

I wish it could just be about football but instead we've got owners who can't stand eachother, a manager who can't stand the CEO, a CEO who is backed by one owner and not the other, and 500,000 fans who can't stand either of the owners. Who knows how many different agendas there are. It's all a mess.

I've got my fingers (and everything else crossed) that Torres stays fit, Babel turns out to be an ace in the pack and Deadly Dirk becomes......um.......Deadly.

well heres hoping, i think our hopes rest on Gerrard and Torres, Gerrard must continue with his current and form and Torres is going to have to produce some of last years heroics, that will be our main hope. I just hope they can deal with the pressure unlike most of the other players at the moment
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 am

Well one things for sure, the events over the last 24 hours have not changed my opinion one iota. I think it is more than possible that we could find a manager who has more chance of taking us to the title than Rafa Benitez. I wouldnb't give him a new contract at the end of the season, I'd say thanks for the memories and begin the search for a fresh start.

I know I'm in the tiniest of minorities, but I'm comfortable with that. Yes we definately need a change of ownership, and in all probability a new CEO as well. I remain convinced however that the manager has taken us as far as he is capable.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:35 am

Which manager with any credibility experience and ability would want to come to liverpool when there is ahrdly any money to spend ad has owners that dont even talk to each and a ceo who seems to not have a clue ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:36 am

bigmick wrote:Well one things for sure, the events over the last 24 hours have not changed my opinion one iota. I think it is more than possible that we could find a manager who has more chance of taking us to the title than Rafa Benitez. I wouldnb't give him a new contract at the end of the season, I'd say thanks for the memories and begin the search for a fresh start.

I know I'm in the tiniest of minorities, but I'm comfortable with that. Yes we definately need a change of ownership, and in all probability a new CEO as well. I remain convinced however that the manager has taken us as far as he is capable.

The irony is (from your current point of view) is that getting Rafa to sign a new deal is imperative to the club maintaining a title challenge this season. This will rumble on in the press if the Americans return home without any ground being made up on the contract situation and I should imagine it will unsettle the players. Now I'm not advocating changing the manager, especially not when we're involved in a title challenge (I simply asked to be in it come March time and we're still on target for that) but I suspect our owners (with Parry's help) would make a complete fu...c...kup of the whole thing if they decided on a change. Some of our best players might see it as an excuse to leave as you can guarantee City would be in offering ridiculous sums of money for the likes of Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano etc. I suspect it would be a disaster. If any changes are made they have to come from the top down for me.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion