Progress, our squad, time, investment.. - And why we need a new manager.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:36 am

This is all just a plan to lure everyone into a false sense of security at which point Ryan Babel is going to step up and show us what he can really do! :D

Well to be honest he will surley get more time now seeing as we no longer even have Keane as an option on the bench so id hope he is ready to do the business.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 am

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well I predicted that there'd be a "Keane wasn't Rafa's signing" bandwagon, and I got that one spot on. Lets have another go... I reckon that if we start to look like we could do with another striker (Torres gets injured/Gerrard gets injured/either get suspended/either gets tired/we discover that Babel isn't only sh!t at wide midfield, he's also sh!t up top/we were right all along about Egg Nog) my prediction is this. There will be a bandwagon which starts up saying that Rafa never wanted to see Keane, Parry done it :D I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous now, but mark my words nobody went for the "Keane was Parry's signing" for a bit, then they were all over it.

This is where you heard it first, Rafa actually really rated Keane and never wanted to sell him, (remember his "I think he'll still be here" interview?, there you go then!).
Rafa wanted to keep Keane, it was Parry who sold him. It's not offical yet but it will be before long  :;): .

Just seen it mate in the Keane thread  :D

Sheesh I've got to be quicker. OK here's another. If Babel comes on for Torres and starts banging goals in left right and centree, it'll be because Rafa prepared him perfectly by not playing him ever up top over the last two seasons. His spell at left wing, followed by his prolonged spell sitting on his erse will have been an absolute masterstroke, tactical genius. Rafa will have known all along then Ryna had it in him, he was simply waiting his moment.

If on the other hand Babel comes in for Torres and is sh!t, Parry signed him   :D  :laugh:

No, of course not. Every fault is soley down to Rafa, isn't it?
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:17 am

No Lando, none of it's Rafa's fault, he's just the manager :D Presumeably following your arguement, Parry deserves all the credit in the World for "sanctioning" the transfers of Alonso and Torres, or did he just have input into the transfers which went wrong?

Rafa's showed his true colours throughout the whole episode in my view. I don't expect to ever agree always with any manager and all his decisions. I do though expect his decisions to be made for the right reasons, with the best interests of the team at heart. Selling Robbie Keane without having a replacement, and the way we have jettisoned him over the last month or so is not in the best interests of the team. It may in Rafa's mind be what's best for Rafa Benitez, but I'm not as concerned about that as he obviously is.

The next time he talks about the squad needing to have "options" and "possibilities" we would do well to remember how he has just got rid of quite a few of those in order to make some childish point. I've put his interview when he signed Keane up on the forum twice now. Not a mention, not a word about it not being "his" signing. Does anybody seriously believe it would have ever come to light had Keane scored regularly from the off and been a hit? Of course it wouldn't. In those circumstances, had I come on here and said "well Rick Parry deserves credit because Rafa didn't actually want to pay 20 million quid for him" I would have got laughed off, and deservedly so.

The manager has significantly diminished his standing over this whole affair. I wrestled with my concience before I posted what I did the other day, at least I can console myself now in the knowledge that I am 100% right.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 am

bigmick wrote:No Lando, none of it's Rafa's fault, he's just the manager :D Presumeably following your arguement, Parry deserves all the credit in the World for "sanctioning" the transfers of Alonso and Torres, or did he just have input into the transfers which went wrong?

Rafa's showed his true colours throughout the whole episode in my view. I don't expect to ever agree always with any manager and all his decisions. I do though expect his decisions to be made for the right reasons, with the best interests of the team at heart. Selling Robbie Keane without having a replacement, and the way we have jettisoned him over the last month or so is not in the best interests of the team. It may in Rafa's mind be what's best for Rafa Benitez, but I'm not as concerned about that as he obviously is.

The next time he talks about the squad needing to have "options" and "possibilities" we would do well to remember how he has just got rid of quite a few of those in order to make some childish point. I've put his interview when he signed Keane up on the forum twice now. Not a mention, not a word about it not being "his" signing. Does anybody seriously believe it would have ever come to light had Keane scored regularly from the off and been a hit? Of course it wouldn't. In those circumstances, had I come on here and said "well Rick Parry deserves credit because Rafa didn't actually want to pay 20 million quid for him" I would have got laughed off, and deservedly so.

The manager has significantly diminished his standing over this whole affair. I wrestled with my concience before I posted what I did the other day, at least I can console myself now in the knowledge that I am 100% right.

One is therefore forced to wonder what will happen next year, if we do win the league by some miracle?

Will Rafa see everything he's done as completely justified and then subject us to more megastyling, footy politics, bizarre subs etc all through the season?

I have to say, it sends a shiver down me spine.
tonyeh

Postby taff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 am

bigmick wrote:The manager has significantly diminished his standing over this whole affair. I wrestled with my concience before I posted what I did the other day, at least I can console myself now in the knowledge that I am 100% right.

This is where I dont understand you BM.  How can anybody be a 100% right about things that none of us truly know about. 

I could claim to be right that the Keane sale was forced due to financial pressure as per the guardian article, or he has cut his losses before they got worse or Keane just couldnt cope with being at a big club. 

I agree with it being a Rafa signing but it hasnt worked out simple as that and the reasons could be legion. Lots of things are hushed up at football clubs to protect all parties involved.  Not saying that this is one of them.

My gut instinct is that Rafa knew it wouldnt work with him and that combined with the financial situation just made it happen.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:31 am

[quote Rafa's showed his true colours throughout the whole episode in my view. I don't expect to ever agree always with any manager and all his decisions. I do though expect his decisions to be made for the right reasons, with the best interests of the team at heart. Selling Robbie Keane without having a replacement, and the way we have jettisoned him over the last month or so is not in the best interests of the team. It may in Rafa's mind be what's best for Rafa Benitez, but I'm not as concerned about that as he obviously is.

The manager has significantly diminished his standing over this whole affair. quote]

Its hard not to agree with you on this point, this whole Robbie Keane situation has made Rafa go right down in my estimation, and im sure it will damage his reputation in terms of signing new players and more worryingly within the playing staff who by all accounts it seems Robbie Keane was a popular player. I really hope this thing dosnt ruin our whole season, as were still in the mix and have everything to play for.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 am

taff wrote:My gut instinct is that Rafa knew it wouldnt work with him and that combined with the financial situation just made it happen.

Even if this is true, to sell Keane without even signing a loan replacement is absolute madness at this stage of the season
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:34 am

tonyeh wrote:One is therefore forced to wonder what will happen next year, if we do win the league by some miracle?

Will Rafa see everything he's done as completely justified and then subject us to more megastyling, footy politics, bizarre subs etc all through the season?

Well to be absolutely clear here, If Rafa does win the league then he has made c...s like me look, well like a c...  :D

If he wins the league, it's clear that I have been talking utter b0ll0cks and there will be absolutely no hiding from the fact. I promise you now, I won't hide from the fact for a second. There'll be none of this "ah but it was an easy league this year" because it doesn't matter if you win it. There'll be no "ah but we should have won it easier" because it doesn't matter if we win it. I'd give him a contract where he has control over the whole city of Liverpool, never mind just the football club if he wins the league.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:38 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
taff wrote:My gut instinct is that Rafa knew it wouldnt work with him and that combined with the financial situation just made it happen.

Even if this is true, to sell Keane without even signing a loan replacement is absolute madness at this stage of the season

there's still time to get a loan replacement in
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 am

Greavesie wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

there's still time to get a loan replacement in

deadlines long gone mate
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 am

bigmick wrote:
tonyeh wrote:One is therefore forced to wonder what will happen next year, if we do win the league by some miracle?

Well to be absolutely clear here, If Rafa does win the league then he has made c...s like me look, well like a c...  :D

If he wins the league, it's clear that I have been talking utter b0ll0cks and there will be absolutely no hiding from the fact. I promise you now, I won't hide from the fact for a second. There'll be none of this "ah but it was an easy league this year" because it doesn't matter if you win it. There'll be no "ah but we should have won it easier" because it doesn't matter if we win it. I'd give him a contract where he has control over the whole city of Liverpool, never mind just the football club if he wins the league.

:laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 am

taff wrote:be a 100% right about things that none of us truly know about. 

That's 100% right, "in my own mind" Taff  :D  :laugh: Fair point there mate, I'll give you that one.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:47 am

bigmick wrote:

Hmmmm....so that must mean you're hoping that we don't win the league!

You're of them!

tonyeh

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:48 am

bigmick wrote:No Lando, none of it's Rafa's fault, he's just the manager :D Presumeably following your arguement, Parry deserves all the credit in the World for "sanctioning" the transfers of Alonso and Torres, or did he just have input into the transfers which went wrong?

You don't know anything 100%.

Do you even listen to yourself? I'm sure all this "Oooh yes, Mick, I agree completely" has gone to your head. Don't you ever stop to think "Hang on, I don't know anything about what's gone off behind the scenes."?

You put your own spin on events and repeat it so often that you start to believe your own imagination.

Grab a dictionary and look up the word "humility", before it's too late. :no
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:50 am

bigmick wrote:

You could just say it was all down to Parry :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion