Regardless of who is manager next season, - How good is the squad of players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thingy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Yeh mate i was thinking if we didnt have alot to spend, and with other players costing a bit more, he could do a job for a year or 2. Can play in the midfield and right back. Just a thought, although unlikely.
Thingy

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm

I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price of knowing they would have to compete against that player twice a year. Its already pretty obvious that United or Everton players are off limits, shouldn't that also be the case for Chelsea and Arsenal players? and for teams that think that they are bigger than they are or have legit aspirations to knock off a top 4 club like Aston Villa, Spurs, Blackburn, Newcaslte, City, why would these teams sell us their best player unless the price was so high that it could be considered an offer they couldn't refuse. Although some part of me wonders whether Gamst Pederson, Bently, Downing, YOung, Agbonlahor, Richards (well he is) are good enough enough, I wonder wether would actually be able to sign them if we wanted.  It seems like more and more of these players are committing their long term commitment to their current clubs which is either a great sign of loyalty or a way to increase the transfer fee. For me, it seems like the Bellamy's and Bennayouns of the prem are the only interleague transfers we have been doing of late. (at the time macsherano was still a diamond in the rough at west ham that wasn't playing)
I think that if the club wants to have top english talent in the future, it should either grow it itself or buy players who have just made the breakthrough at championship or league one sides at a young age like david nugent, leighton bains, gareth bale, theo walcott. This might have been what we had in mind with Jack Hobbs but I guess we just missed or he is taking longer to develop than expected or our squad is too big for him to get a legit chance

But I think that if we want the type of and quality of wide attack minded players that we need, we are most likely going to need to look abroad in order to find a reasonable price.
JoeTerp

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Thingy wrote:Yeh mate i was thinking if we didnt have alot to spend, and with other players costing a bit more, he could do a job for a year or 2. Can play in the midfield and right back. Just a thought, although unlikely.

i like him
but he looks so settled in inter i doubt he would leave. but maybe his compatriot juan sorin?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price

People talk of the magic fergie performed in winning the league, he managed to acquire Cantona and Keane from rivals at a reasonable price which simply wouldn't happen these days. Just imagine us signing Ronaldo for £16m and Terry for £5m and that would not be an unreasonable modern day comparison to those transfers. And if we had over £150m worth of players in total then we'd be on a par with the top spenders, something the mancs were back when they first won the Premiership.

Allegedly Blackburn bought the league, funny how their most expensive XI cost less than Man Utd's AND our's
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Yeh he looks settled and hes the captian, plus hes gettin on a bit but id like to see him here, experienced too. Sorins a good shout aswell mate.
Thingy

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:47 pm

ive heard alot about this celtic guy and have seen his name being mentioned by some  poster here before. mcgreedy or something.

mccreedy
mccready

:upside:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby hello_red » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 pm

I think with the current formation we are very close we just need 2 quality signings not galactico signings like some people suggest but talented players that need to make the step like Torres this season.

Bentley is a player that I think makes the grade has everything a winger needs to suit our current right sided needs with the current formation, and if we went 442 again he would fit in just fine in that aswell.

Lahm, has the ability to make a mark at our club and think we should go in for him as our left back.

Our squad is capable of winning the champs league and sustaining pressure in the league but we do need 2 new players to come in I think for the prem to come to us finally.

I truly feel we are closer than many people give us credit for.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby VamosRafa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:00 am

JoeTerp wrote:I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price of knowing they would have to compete against that player twice a year. Its already pretty obvious that United or Everton players are off limits, shouldn't that also be the case for Chelsea and Arsenal players? and for teams that think that they are bigger than they are or have legit aspirations to knock off a top 4 club like Aston Villa, Spurs, Blackburn, Newcaslte, City, why would these teams sell us their best player unless the price was so high that it could be considered an offer they couldn't refuse. Although some part of me wonders whether Gamst Pederson, Bently, Downing, YOung, Agbonlahor, Richards (well he is) are good enough enough, I wonder wether would actually be able to sign them if we wanted.  It seems like more and more of these players are committing their long term commitment to their current clubs which is either a great sign of loyalty or a way to increase the transfer fee. For me, it seems like the Bellamy's and Bennayouns of the prem are the only interleague transfers we have been doing of late. (at the time macsherano was still a diamond in the rough at west ham that wasn't playing)
I think that if the club wants to have top english talent in the future, it should either grow it itself or buy players who have just made the breakthrough at championship or league one sides at a young age like david nugent, leighton bains, gareth bale, theo walcott. This might have been what we had in mind with Jack Hobbs but I guess we just missed or he is taking longer to develop than expected or our squad is too big for him to get a legit chance

But I think that if we want the type of and quality of wide attack minded players that we need, we are most likely going to need to look abroad in order to find a reasonable price.

This might break off from the thread slightly, but I was actually thinking about additions to the squad from within the premiership the other the other day. I got to thinking which non top 4 players would make it into our starting 11 and would therefore be worth paying over the odds for. Off the top of my head i could think of Richards and Berbatov (out of our price range i'd think), and perhaps Young or Lennon. Which other players does anyone think would be worthy of our starting 11?
VamosRafa

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:10 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:ive heard alot about this celtic guy and have seen his name being mentioned by some  poster here before. mcgreedy or something.

mccreedy
mccready

that would be me , aiden mcgeady , he's a winger at cletic , young , i think 20 or 21 , very talented lad , would deffo cost ard 10 to 15 mill at least
Last edited by Toffeehater on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:11 am

VamosRafa wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price of knowing they would have to compete against that player twice a year. Its already pretty obvious that United or Everton players are off limits, shouldn't that also be the case for Chelsea and Arsenal players? and for teams that think that they are bigger than they are or have legit aspirations to knock off a top 4 club like Aston Villa, Spurs, Blackburn, Newcaslte, City, why would these teams sell us their best player unless the price was so high that it could be considered an offer they couldn't refuse. Although some part of me wonders whether Gamst Pederson, Bently, Downing, YOung, Agbonlahor, Richards (well he is) are good enough enough, I wonder wether would actually be able to sign them if we wanted.  It seems like more and more of these players are committing their long term commitment to their current clubs which is either a great sign of loyalty or a way to increase the transfer fee. For me, it seems like the Bellamy's and Bennayouns of the prem are the only interleague transfers we have been doing of late. (at the time macsherano was still a diamond in the rough at west ham that wasn't playing)

This might break off from the thread slightly, but I was actually thinking about additions to the squad from within the premiership the other the other day. I got to thinking which non top 4 players would make it into our starting 11 and would therefore be worth paying over the odds for. Off the top of my head i could think of Richards and Berbatov (out of our price range i'd think), and perhaps Young or Lennon. Which other players does anyone think would be worthy of our starting 11?

gareth barry
gabriel agbonlahor
berbatov
roque santa cruz
david bentley
christopher samba
micah richards
stewert downing
aaron lennon
gareth bale

some could be squad players.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:12 am

Toffeehater wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:ive heard alot about this celtic guy and have seen his name being mentioned by some  poster here before. mcgreedy or something.

mccreedy
mccready

that would be me , aiden mcgeady , he's a winger at cletic , young , i think 20 or 31 , very talented lad , would deffo cost ard 10 to 15 mill at least

thats old
:laugh:
coudnt resist mate
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:14 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

mccreedy
mccready

that would be me , aiden mcgeady , he's a winger at cletic , young , i think 20 or 21 , very talented lad , would deffo cost ard 10 to 15 mill at least

thats old
:laugh:
coudnt resist mate

opps edited it now lols  :blush:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am

we should scour the Bundesliga... players like podolski, lahm, schweinsteiger are full blown internationals, can arguably give us more than most of the overhyped english talent and they might just cost the same or even cheaper...and there might be other younger talents which wouldn't cost that much also...

I would like to have agbonlahor and james milner though...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:44 am

theres this german player that was said to be very very fast. a right winger. but ive hardly heard of him for a while. i think its daniel odonkor. marek mintal seems good for a goal scoring midfielder.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby red_guy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:52 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:theres this german player that was said to be very very fast. a right winger. but ive hardly heard of him for a while. i think its daniel odonkor. marek mintal seems good for a goal scoring midfielder.

That odonkor guy..i think he's good. By the way, marek mintal was rafa's target 3 or 4 seasons ago.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion