Regardless of who is manager next season, - How good is the squad of players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 pm

red_guy wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:theres this german player that was said to be very very fast. a right winger. but ive hardly heard of him for a while. i think its daniel odonkor. marek mintal seems good for a goal scoring midfielder.

That odonkor guy..i think he's good. By the way, marek mintal was rafa's target 3 or 4 seasons ago.

i heard he scored like 22 goals or smthn in a single season for a poor team. craziness!!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:29 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
VamosRafa wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price of knowing they would have to compete against that player twice a year. Its already pretty obvious that United or Everton players are off limits, shouldn't that also be the case for Chelsea and Arsenal players? and for teams that think that they are bigger than they are or have legit aspirations to knock off a top 4 club like Aston Villa, Spurs, Blackburn, Newcaslte, City, why would these teams sell us their best player unless the price was so high that it could be considered an offer they couldn't refuse. Although some part of me wonders whether Gamst Pederson, Bently, Downing, YOung, Agbonlahor, Richards (well he is) are good enough enough, I wonder wether would actually be able to sign them if we wanted.  It seems like more and more of these players are committing their long term commitment to their current clubs which is either a great sign of loyalty or a way to increase the transfer fee. For me, it seems like the Bellamy's and Bennayouns of the prem are the only interleague transfers we have been doing of late. (at the time macsherano was still a diamond in the rough at west ham that wasn't playing)
I think that if the club wants to have top english talent in the future, it should either grow it itself or buy players who have just made the breakthrough at championship or league one sides at a young age like david nugent, leighton bains, gareth bale, theo walcott. This might have been what we had in mind with Jack Hobbs but I guess we just missed or he is taking longer to develop than expected or our squad is too big for him to get a legit chance

But I think that if we want the type of and quality of wide attack minded players that we need, we are most likely going to need to look abroad in order to find a reasonable price.

This might break off from the thread slightly, but I was actually thinking about additions to the squad from within the premiership the other the other day. I got to thinking which non top 4 players would make it into our starting 11 and would therefore be worth paying over the odds for. Off the top of my head i could think of Richards and Berbatov (out of our price range i'd think), and perhaps Young or Lennon. Which other players does anyone think would be worthy of our starting 11?

gareth barry
gabriel agbonlahor
berbatov
roque santa cruz
david bentley
christopher samba
micah richards
stewert downing
aaron lennon
gareth bale

some could be squad players.

certainly there ARE players outside the top 4 teams who would be good enough and who I would want us to sign but if you are blackburn, city, spurs, etc. why would you sell you best and most promising talent to a team that is going to use that talent to beat u?  the only possible motivation is that the offer is just sooo ridiculously high that they feel that they can bring in a player of equal quality PLUS something else.  A lot of these teams are spending more and more and as such their expectations are growing as well, if they think they can make a challenge for a champions league spot, which most think they can, they certainly will not let their prize assets go. And anyone that they would be willing to let go for a reasonably close fee to what they are actually worth, then we would have to question whether that player if of the right ilk to play for our club

* i think that the clear exception is if a player is unsettled, unhappy, or puts in a transfer request, which I view as a different circumstance because you cannot really control who that happens to.
JoeTerp

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:48 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
VamosRafa wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I am wondering about where we can buy from to get the talent that we need. I don't think other English clubs would want to sell any player of the quality that we need to us. And if they did let them go it would be for a premium price of knowing they would have to compete against that player twice a year. Its already pretty obvious that United or Everton players are off limits, shouldn't that also be the case for Chelsea and Arsenal players? and for teams that think that they are bigger than they are or have legit aspirations to knock off a top 4 club like Aston Villa, Spurs, Blackburn, Newcaslte, City, why would these teams sell us their best player unless the price was so high that it could be considered an offer they couldn't refuse. Although some part of me wonders whether Gamst Pederson, Bently, Downing, YOung, Agbonlahor, Richards (well he is) are good enough enough, I wonder wether would actually be able to sign them if we wanted.  It seems like more and more of these players are committing their long term commitment to their current clubs which is either a great sign of loyalty or a way to increase the transfer fee. For me, it seems like the Bellamy's and Bennayouns of the prem are the only interleague transfers we have been doing of late. (at the time macsherano was still a diamond in the rough at west ham that wasn't playing)
I think that if the club wants to have top english talent in the future, it should either grow it itself or buy players who have just made the breakthrough at championship or league one sides at a young age like david nugent, leighton bains, gareth bale, theo walcott. This might have been what we had in mind with Jack Hobbs but I guess we just missed or he is taking longer to develop than expected or our squad is too big for him to get a legit chance

But I think that if we want the type of and quality of wide attack minded players that we need, we are most likely going to need to look abroad in order to find a reasonable price.

This might break off from the thread slightly, but I was actually thinking about additions to the squad from within the premiership the other the other day. I got to thinking which non top 4 players would make it into our starting 11 and would therefore be worth paying over the odds for. Off the top of my head i could think of Richards and Berbatov (out of our price range i'd think), and perhaps Young or Lennon. Which other players does anyone think would be worthy of our starting 11?

gareth barry
gabriel agbonlahor
berbatov
roque santa cruz
david bentley
christopher samba
micah richards
stewert downing
aaron lennon
gareth bale

some could be squad players.

certainly there ARE players outside the top 4 teams who would be good enough and who I would want us to sign but if you are blackburn, city, spurs, etc. why would you sell you best and most promising talent to a team that is going to use that talent to beat u?  the only possible motivation is that the offer is just sooo ridiculously high that they feel that they can bring in a player of equal quality PLUS something else.  A lot of these teams are spending more and more and as such their expectations are growing as well, if they think they can make a challenge for a champions league spot, which most think they can, they certainly will not let their prize assets go. And anyone that they would be willing to let go for a reasonably close fee to what they are actually worth, then we would have to question whether that player if of the right ilk to play for our club

* i think that the clear exception is if a player is unsettled, unhappy, or puts in a transfer request, which I view as a different circumstance because you cannot really control who that happens to.

i just found it silly rafa didnt get santa cruz initially. he is one of my fave strikers and he's doing very well for rovers.

it will be a silly price unless the player is unhappy. thats why we're often exporting from overseas or depend on our youth to come ou with someone special. unless there are some good gems in the championship.

what about kieron dyer? he can play as a right winger cant he? and i wont be surprised if he would wanna leave the magpies.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:22 pm

exactly, I think Germany, MAYBE the top top players in France, but then again just maybe, Spain (as we have already shown), Eastern and Northern Europe, and south america have to be the places that we look for talent.  Also people who are 18-20 and making the breakthrough in the championship like Gareth Bale WAS doing at southampton are our best bets for getting top English talent outside growing it ourselves
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:what about kieron dyer? he can play as a right winger cant he? and i wont be surprised if he would wanna leave the magpies.

He's at West Ham now, mate.  I wouldn' touch him.  Bad attitude plus he's a sicknote.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 pm

I know I've wound people up a few times, but Keiron Dyer...even I wouldn't suggest him.

Drew Surman is showing promise for Southampton if we wish to go to the lower leagues. Ipswich have always produced talent (Dyer :D) but their current crop is showing signs again, Billy Clarke (right winger/forward) Danny Hayes (forward) and Owen Garvan (central midfielder) and Matt Richards (left back who's been on loan at Brighton). Sylvain Ebanks-Blake has shown he could score at Championship level. As has former Man City forward Ishamil Miller (WBA) Going further down the divisions (if we ever did) Joel Lynch and Dean Cox of Brighton have shown quality along with Jermain Beckford (Leeds) in League 1. Paul Anderson (on loan from Liverpool) has been showing signs of a promising future during his loan spell at Swansea.

So there is talent in the lower leagues, but the majority probably aren't good enough for Liverpool. Danny Hayes would be the lad I'd be most likely to take a gamble on. He's played a few times for England U21s and when played he's scored a few goals for Ipswich. Saying that with the quality of youngsters up front already in our reserves, I don't see him making the grade unfortunately.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:22 pm

I'd like to know how AC Milan keep finding those briliant brazilian youngsters that nobody even heard of and became world class... like kaka and now pato... they seem to have more hits than misses at finding talents...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:31 pm

lots of people had heard of Pato before Milan signed him.  All the big clubs were courting him and at one point it was nearly a "sure thing" that he was going to sign for Chelsea
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion