Premier league home game campaign - Please lets improve the atmosphere....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sarge » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:59 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:The atmosphere on saturday was pretty awful again, only started singin after an hour, but with success you have to except these things.
Newcomers are welcome but they should learn the songs and not just that feckin stupid Easah, Easah soccer am bollox. Its embarressing.
I heard there was 150 Borussia Munchen Gladbach fans there on saturday all got tickets but didnt bother going to the game they just stayed in the Albert all day singin German songs.
A few scousers I know where not to happy about it.

Not from where I was standing. Int'l fans here are maniacs.
Whenever I go to a pub or cafe watching liverpool live matches, I swear that YNWA will be sung THROUGHOUT the game. What a showmanship of energy. It must be the booze.

Theory: Ensure enough liquid in your system to sustain the buzz throughout the game.
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:15 am

i really don't understand the mentality of people who'll make the effort to go to the game but then don't bother singing  ???  there's bags of glory hunters who just know f*ck all about football who are probably the main culprits but you've only got to endure the boredom that is the centenary stand to realise there's blokes who've been on there with their season ticket for donkey's years and still sit on their hands and just watch the kop singing instead of joining in

to me it's just human nature, when things are going well you just can't help but getting swept up in the atmosphere and being part of it, and when things aren't going so well it's your DUTY as a supporter to get behind your team and SUPPORT them

i don't subscribe wholeheartedly to the OOters argument though, yes it's partially true that the local support goes to the game more often and are more likely to sing all the songs but to suggest that the atmosphere was electric until a bunch of silent OOters appeared is ridiculous, there's plenty of born & bred scousers in the centenary & main stand who'd be put to shame on the singing by a bunch of OOters in the kop/annie road
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Glofut » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Some REAL bollox here, lads.

Ive sat on the Lower Centenary (Kemlyn) since I was 5 years of age with my Dad, who has had his season tickets there, in various places, for over 40 years. Before that he was a pay at the gate man, as were most and he started off in the boys' pen.

The Kemlyn Road stand was NEVER for singing, much less the Main Stand, and Im talking throughout the 70's and 80's too. The paddock (as was the lower rows of the Main Stand) used to do a bit but not a lot as was the standing Anfield Road End in those days.

The Kop was previously the place for the young men, and they sang. The rest of the ground was for the no less ardent, but more 'watching' types. The older fellas and the kids. Later the women.

But they were part of this club every bit as much as the Kop, because they provided the discussion and a lot of the criticism that kept this club's feet on the ground. That SOBER part of LFC's support has ALWAYS been there and will outlive any over-enthusiastic post-standing, previously-not-in-attendance nowadays-Kop-season-ticket-holder's support, in my opinion. Of ALL the stands at Anfield, I find it is THE KOP that has most tourists, and the LEAST authentic supporters Ive ever seen at Anfield, in among the hard core of lads who I'll see at away games every time.

There is more than one side to this club, and to its support. DON'T insult the passionate, even be it less songful, support of those who don't sit in the Kop. Ive seen the types who come into the Lower Centenary (day trippers, I swear) and moan throughout --- they want to sing all the way through --- go for it, enjoy --- but it's NOT my thing to sing blind faith to my team when I can see there are things I don't like about the way theyre playing. For one thing, it just aint very savvy, lads.

Ive lost my voice more times than I can say singing and shouting for my team, and as you may know the Centenary, Annie Rd and Main Stand all do their bit these days when its really needed. But dont slag off whole swathes of people who go through thick and thin to watch the Reds and have done for collectively 1000's of fking years!!!! Youre not in any position to do so. End of.
Faith is a passionate intuition.
Glofut

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:08 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
laza wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Its all about the wonga now though, the club arnt gona give you a ticket if your postcode begins with L, they prefer to give them to outside Liverpool as they know local scousers wont be in the club shop spending a small fortune.

Thats is BS, no wonder you end up with anti-OOTER sentiments
Half the fun of watching Liverpool from afar on the TV  is trying to work out what is being sung

Keep your hair on Laza, it is true that since we won the CL half of Anfield is full of glory hunters that DO NOT  know the words to songs, they all have loads of bags out of the Liverpool shop with them.
They read the s*n in the ground, Im not saying it cause they are OOters and Im all for support away from Liverpool, but I dont like the club giving 150 tickets to BMG fans, for such a big game like against Spurs. When people I know could'nt even get a ticket.

Well I'll be at the Brum game on the 1st Feb and I won't be reading the fukn S*n thats for sure, and I know dozens of songs.  I got a ticket in the Kop end for the reason being that I wanted to sing and not sit in the Centenerary or Main Stand where most overseas/out of town fans tend to sit and the atmosphere seems to be more muted.

hardly any overseas/out of towners in the main stand where I sit. Mainly season ticket holders (like myself). But these season ticket holders are the older generation and are well into their 70's now its fair saying people must sing but you cant expect people over 70 to be jumping up and down clapping their hands and singing songs every match.

You say the atmosphere is more muted but more drowned out by the away fans where I am. At one point our section of the ground drowned out the kop (and that's saying something). I for one raise my scarf, sing at the top of my voice and clap my hands and shout and will probably never stop doing so when at anfield. In fact when I'm not at anfield (which is really only when we play and i'm on holiday) I still shout at the tele and join in with the songs I hear our fans singing.

The fact is the atmosphere is only lifted at the start of the game and after we score between that there is nothing. Like we saw vs spurs a bit of atmosphere virtually won us that game as the atmosphere we created seemed to lift the players. It seems to me some people at anfield seem to think the players need to perform and only then will they sing but whether we are 5-0 down or winning 5-0 we should support our players.

YNWA  :buttrock
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:10 pm

:D
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:19 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote: :D

I don't get it

really what?  ???
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 pm

cant explain
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:21 am

Glofut wrote:Some REAL bollox here, lads.

Ive sat on the Lower Centenary (Kemlyn) since I was 5 years of age with my Dad, who has had his season tickets there, in various places, for over 40 years.....

bla bla bla....

....but dont slag off whole swathes of people who go through thick and thin to watch the Reds and have done for collectively 1000's of fking years!!!! Youre not in any position to do so. End of.

Glofut it's all a matter of opinion and personal taste, you like to sit and watch quietly, others (myself included) prefer things a bit more vocal and that's all there is to it. Your suggestion that the quieter parts of the ground is where the more knowledgeable and long-lasting supporters are is at best laughable, at worst a load of condescending sh*te

And as for me not being in any position to comment, I've regularly sat and stood in every single corner, side, nook and cranny of Anfield over the last 25 years so I am in fact quite qualified to comment on the lack of atmosphere in parts of the ground, with in my opinion the upper Centenary in particular being like a f*cking morgue at times. END OF, as you would say.
Last edited by Woollyback on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:02 pm

I think the atmosphere has changed since seating has been introduced.
This has coincided with prices going up as well and has resulted in a kind of different fan.
The Kop in the eighties (as I remember it) was very cheap to get into (£2.75!) and when it was chokka with people shoulder to shoulder it was an atmosphere which was better for everyone to sing. But with it being all seated now, everyone is more spaced apart and the atmosphere has changed.

I've moved to the Main Stand now and must admit never sing at league games, but that's my perogative. Things are different at Euro games though.

But Anfield isn't the onlyt ground where the atmosphere has lessened, I think all grounds are like that. OK at small clubs there is a good atmosphere when LFC are playing, but that's cos LFC are there. Normally, they have poor atmosphere too.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:31 pm

It's not just Anfield. There isn't a ground in the country that can regularly match the atmosphere of 20 years ago. Trafford is a morgue, Highbury isn't called the library for nothing, The City of Manchester doesn't get near Maine Road and at St.James Park the fans are top busy whinging and booing the manager.
I figure Fratton Park is just about the only place in the top division where the fans sing for most of the game and even they (i'm informed) have been pretty quiet this season.

I'd be interested to know what Leon, Murph, Dalglish or any of the boys who go the away games think about crowds around the country. Who's the best?

As for Anfield, some can throw up the OOter argument but i've driven up to plenty of mid-week (league) games in my time where you would expect the local support to be bigger and, therefore the crowd to be more vocal but i really haven't noticed any difference.

Football fans have changed so much the last 15 years and the days of stadiums filled with predominently working-class lads has long gone.

I've never quite understood why the atmosphere on European nights (not just at Anfield) is so different to the league. I guess English crowds (especially at Anfield) are reverred sround Europe therefore the fans (all of them!) feel a duty to scare/intimidate the shi.t out of foreign teams when they play here.

It should be the same every Saturday shouldn't it?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm

i love the away atmosphere, but thats a lot more die hard. ive been to most clubs with liverpool in the away end and theres something special about it bringing u together. hard to explain.

only been to anfield twice. first time was too young to really understand, second i was too drunk . will be up there a couple times at least this year
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 pm

They say a lot of it is down to working class fans being priced out of the game. Do you no how much a top price season ticket for Arsenal is going to be when they build there new ground?

£4,750

No joke.

Arsenal are disgraceful. They have said that they are doing it because they think people will pay. Bleeding their fans dry just because they no they can. I just hope no one follows suit. Currently chelsea are the only team to charge thousands for season tickets. The price is higher for london clubs but if they sell out other clubs may do the same just to be able to challenge.
columbia

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion