Bouncebackability - Most important week of league campaign

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reina From Spaina » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:24 pm

We've definately got 3 wins out of the 4 in the bag, thats a certainty, as long as our form doesnt go missing!

Newcastle- Win, They dont have a midfield like ours, and Owen will be stranded.

Everton- Easy win, They havent got a prayer. Just like last season came to Anfield and were saying they were gonna turn us over and got outclassed. They dont have the ingenuity of garcia and alonso. they are muppets.

WBA- Another easy win.

Bolton- could be tricky. however, watched them in the Uefa cup a week or so ago, and they werent that impressive. they looked very ordinary. It largely depends on which players Rafa plays/ rests for this game.

We need at least 3 wins to stand any chance of winning the league, even if it is only a pipe dream.
Reina From Spaina

Postby andy_g » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:29 pm

i have absoluetly no worries about the mentality of the team or the quality of our play. the team have a self belief far greater than anything there's been for years and the right man to ensure it stays that way and that minds are focussed. if anything i think the lads will come back mentally stronger and more determined than ever, the team that played on saturday knows that it comprehensively outplayed the brazillians - and thats something you don't often get to believe.

my only worry is fatigue. there's a lot of games and that trip (and i'm talking about the actual travel) will have been physically and mentally gruelling. the games we have coming up all mean we need our strongest teams out and each will be a battle in its own way. they're actually some of the toughest physical fixtures we could have had around this time. bolton are a tough side, everton needs no mention and everone knows about shearer and his elbows, kicks, digs and whatever else. i hope that the refs will finally keep and eye on the dirty get for once after all the recent hoo-ha.

i'm not sure we'll grab second spot back just yet but we'll get enough points to keep pressure on the rest and consolidate a worthy third place.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:38 pm

john craig wrote:Have to agree St Mick that unlike during the Houllier era where as you said a bad result would inevitably be followed by a string of similar performances, I also can't see it happening this time.  I'd like to think we have a bit more mental toughness about ourselves this season as shown by our improved performances and results away from home.

Newcastle at home is probably the game that worries me least out of all the games over the xmas period for us, but I still think it's the most important one to win.  A bad result there and suddenly a blip against Sao Paolo turns into a bad spell and then a tough away game to Everton to come.

People will worry about Owen coming back to haunt us, personally it doesn't bother me.  Despite his recent hattrick where his finishing was outstanding, I can't see his newcastle team carving out too many chances against us at Anfield.  Benitez shouldn't have too many problems out-thinking Souness in the tactical department hopefully.

As for our own striking department, we certainly could do with another option up front.  If Benitez is so against picking Cisse then we really do need to bring in another forward with some pace.

West Brom at home worries you more than Newcastle?  :D This game worries me a little bit because Newcastle have only lost 1 game with Owen in the line up. Their back four is the weakest link and we need to exploit that.

I don't believe that we'll win comfortably, Newcastle have been on a good run and that has boosted their confidence. I just hope that there isn't much tinkering with the squad. Like you said, this is the most important week of the season thus far.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:02 pm

A.B. wrote:[West Brom at home worries you more than Newcastle?  :D This game worries me a little bit because Newcastle have only lost 1 game with Owen in the line up.

To be honest I had forgotten West Brom at home was one of our games, obviously it's the easiest game on paper, nevertheless I can always count on the resident nit-picker to keep me right on these things :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:06 pm

Interesting post. In my opinion Newcastle should be an easy game. BUT,  the trip to Japan could have messed up the sleeping patterns and that is a concern. Players need to eat, drink, sleep and train right to win games. As far as quality goes, Newcastle is far behind us in every departement. And Souness has never had a gameplan or a tactical brain so that is of no concern. What troubles me is their rough tactics. I suppose on of their bully boys may try to take alonso or gerrard out of the game. Owen is their main threath, but I think we will dominate and he will be left alone and isolated. The traitor will outpace Hyypia given the chance so Carra have to be alert. I predict 2-0 with Crouch and Garcia on the scoresheet.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:13 pm

To be honest I had forgotten West Brom at home was one of our games, obviously it's the easiest game on paper, nevertheless I can always count on the resident nit-picker to keep me right on these things

:D :laugh:

Interesting post. In my opinion Newcastle should be an easy game. BUT,  the trip to Japan could have messed up the sleeping patterns and that is a concern. Players need to eat, drink, sleep and train right to win games.

You do make a good point but the game is one week away from now. They ajusted in Japan after 2 days I believe, and they should be able to do the same now that they are back home. They have plenty of time to recover from the trip and get used to the timezone.

As far as quality goes, Newcastle is far behind us in every departement. And Souness has never had a gameplan or a tactical brain so that is of no concern. What troubles me is their rough tactics. I suppose on of their bully boys may try to take alonso or gerrard out of the game.

Good point, their key player in midfield is Scott Parker. He will try to unsettle us when we move forward. They will probably play physicaly but we need to cope with that. They did it to Arsenal who simply can not handle a physical game, however I think we can hold our own but we need to be fully focused.

Sissoko would be a good player to have in this game but he is suspended, hopefully Hamann will no be able to play after the knock[understatement really] he picked up due to Assien's tackle.

Owen is their main threat so it is important that we prevent the likes of Solano,Parker,etc.. from providing him good service. However we all know Owen, he can be hardly noticed for 80 minutes and score a goal.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lionheart » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 pm

I think the Newcastle game is vital. The added spice will the the Owen factor.

Our lads took a bit of a mental battering in Japan (because they were excpected to win) but no more so than Stevie Gerrard. It was he who made the claim that he had a sense of invincability about LFC at the time. So what effect will this have on his own approach to the next game?? The same could be said for the other 'home grown' lads (eg Carra)?? There must be a huge mental barrier to get over there because the bubble of invincibility has burst.

If we win the next game then I think it will be back to business...I just hope Owen doesn't stuff that up because I imagine he will be fired up for this one.

Will Rafa start Gerrard on the bench??

The anticipation is great!!    :)

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:17 pm

Gerrard said that they felt unbeatable not that they were. We're underestimating our own player's mentality

Btw here's what Carra has to say:

Jamie Carragher insists the Michael Owen factor should not distract Liverpool from the task of beating Newcastle United on Boxing Day.

The centre-back was speaking ahead of Owen’s first return to Anfield since his £8million move to Real Madrid in the summer of 2004.

Owen, who joined Newcastle from the Spanish giants in the summer, will line up against his friend Carragher when Liverpool host the Magpies next Monday.

Carragher said: “It’s not about just Michael. Hopefully he’ll get a good reception because he deserves that, he was a great player for the club.

“But we’ve moved on and Michael’s moved on. I know people will make a lot about his return but he doesn’t play for Liverpool.

“He’s just the same as any other player. We won’t be changing our game to play against Michael.

“He's my mate and it’s nice to see him doing well. But the main thing is Liverpool, we want to win and hopefully we will.”

Newcastle forked out a club record fee to end Owen's Spanish sojourn, even though the England marksman had expressed a desire to return to Anfield.

A deal could not be agreed between the Reds and Madrid after a reluctance on the Merseysiders' part to pay double what they had received 12 months previously.

Rumours at the time suggested Carragher was trying to persuade Liverpool to bring his friend home, something he now rejects.

“There was a bit of talk in the summer but it was nothing to do with me. I’m a player - players play and managers manage. It was up to the manager,” he said.

“We’ve got strikers here anyway. Just playing for Liverpool is all I’m bothered about.”

The two were very close during Owen’s Anfield career, having come through the Academy together and been part of the cup treble-winning side of 2001.

Carragher admits they still chat regularly and the pair even spoke on the eve of the Club World Championship final, which Liverpool lost 1-0 to Sao Paulo.

CARRAGHER: WE DESERVED TO WIN

He added: “I spoke to him on Saturday after he scored his hat-trick [against West Ham].

“I speak to him a couple of times a week about how it’s going up there, how they’re playing, what he’s up to and I’ll probably give him a bell before the game.”

With the arduous trip to Japan out of the way, it is back to domestic business for Liverpool and Carragher is adamant a title tilt is not wishful thinking given the Reds’ current form.

“We’re definitely not down [after the Sao Paulo defeat] because we’re doing well at the moment,” he added.

“We want to challenge Chelsea. Manchester United have won a couple of games while we’ve been away and moved into second place.

“The aim at the start of the season was to try to push as close for the title as possible. There’s still a long way to go and hopefully we can do that.”

Carra in good spirits despite defeat
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:18 pm

Will Rafa start Gerrard on the bench??

Why would he do that? ??? Makes no fecking sense.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lionheart » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:20 pm

for no other reason than to rotate the player...I don't KNOW...it was a retorical question.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:22 pm

Lionheart wrote:for no other reason than to rotate the player...I don't KNOW...it was a retorical question.

Benitez would never rotate such an important player in such an important game. Sorry, don't see how you worked that one out.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lionheart » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26 pm

Well, I'm not going to get into a "I think...you think" discussion, when neither of us KNOW. Call it a gut feeling...whatever. :)

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:29 pm

I understand where you're comming from but it's far too important of a game for resting now. If Lampard can play 2 years in the starting line up then so should Gerrard when he isn't injured.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lionheart » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:38 pm

I just feel this squad is far more business like than just about any of our squads previously. The team seems to have transcended the mental pitfalls, even of the same team earlier in the year. I hope so anyway.

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 pm

this whole notion of "tiredness" is completely a mental thing which is used as an excuse when you're losing. i heard gollum whinging about it the other day. i mean give me a feckin break. they got knocked out of europe (were they ever in it?) and haven't had to jet half way across the world for a stupid competition right in the middle of the busiest schedule of the season.

our players started playing competitively way before anyone else this season but you don't hear any of our players whinging (even kewell). we're playing well and every player should want to play in every game.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion