Atmosphere - Champions league vs league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am

Me and me mate have been talking today about the atmospher on champions league games always (or more often than not) being fantastic.

We all know on here that for league games it is often flat and really quiet, we have talked about this in the past on here but what i want to ask people is.......

If we all say we want the league more than the champions league, why dont we as fans perform like the team do ?
We have seen the way it inspires the players om these nights.
I once thought that it was possibly as champions league games are midweek and in the night, night games generally create a better atmosphere.
But we have had loads of midweek league games where its been dead.

Thoughts people ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Without openning up an age old debate its becuase there is different fans on a euro night - a lot of the seats are made up with people that cant go on weekends and are fans that can only go to european games .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 pm

I know people complain that the atmosphere is :censored: against the likes of Middlesboro, WBA and Stoke, but it has ALWAYS been like that. I started going to games in the early 90s and tickets for games against the lower league sides were traditionally easier to get and suffered poor atmospheres.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:55 pm

Obviously Real Madrid at home is something that will stir the fans and compared with Stoke and West Brom you can understand how some would be up for the glamour game.

My point is though, we all talk about being desperate for the league but as fans dont seem to be showing it.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm

I've been thinking something along those lines aswell mate. However I haven't got an answer for you, but I'll be very interested to read what others think of this (hopefully it won't just turn into another discussion about locals vs. OOT'ers).
JamCar05

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm

We tell in forums to the players that we want the league.

The Anfield Crowd in games against Stoke must tell the players the same thing, by singing as strong as yesterday.

We ask the players to be as motivated against Stoke than against Real Madrid. Supporters in those games have to show they're aswell as motivated.

The problem has been discussed in a Ciggy's recent thread (wools, etc), but it needs to be addressed. We need teams as Stoke as intimidated as Real Madrid was yesterday.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm

For me its pressure we have good thing with rafa in europe and we have confidence as fans we can win any game any day.

As for league I sense a real lack of confidence alot of times we feel as fans , players and manager are gonna make mistakes.

Its down to how we as fans fancy it on day and the confidence we get from past performances and that rubs of on players.

Only way it change is if even if we send out bad vibes the players can take game and over the come that or we as fans get some more faith in our team i league games.

Its why our home form droped this season our negitive energy can rub off on players and effect performances I feel.

Look at newcastle when there fans are not happy when do they ever get results at home ?
Last edited by LegBarnes on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm

European games are more family orientated ,everyone takes their kids ,and there is a lot more patience shown .
Fans attend these matches mainly for the atmosphere they go the game with the express purpose of singing their hearts out,with the hope their anthems will inspire something truly magical to happen on the pitch .
League games are sadly home to a new breed of fan ,you would be suprised how many genuine fans are weary about starting up a chant as fear of reprisals ,or some  mini gangster turning around and snarling ,some impatient little snot who has no place in this great stadium ..
We used to sing our team through defeat which was deemed alien to most clubs ,and thats what made us special, sadly its becoming more patently obvious if the current trend persists ,Anfield will never be the fortress it once was  in the domestic game . 
Last night was breathtaking my lad has completely lost is voice and mines on its way out ,and the team played like European kings Mascherano was immense like Souness in his pomp  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:47 am

redbeergoggles wrote:European games are more family orientated ,everyone takes their kids ,and there is a lot more patience shown .
Fans attend these matches mainly for the atmosphere they go the game with the express purpose of singing their hearts out,with the hope their anthems will inspire something truly magical to happen on the pitch .
League games are sadly home to a new breed of fan ,you would be suprised how many genuine fans are weary about starting up a chant as fear of reprisals ,or some  mini gangster turning around and snarling ,some impatient little snot who has no place in this great stadium ..
We used to sing our team through defeat which was deemed alien to most clubs ,and thats what made us special, sadly its becoming more patently obvious if the current trend persists ,Anfield will never be the fortress it once was  in the domestic game . 
Last night was breathtaking my lad has completely lost is voice and mines on its way out ,and the team played like European kings Mascherano was immense like Souness in his pomp  :D

That's a good post mate but I think there is more to it than that. I only get to 7-10 games a season including a few in Europe and more often than not i'm in the main stand courtesy of me mate who has two season tickets. The lads who sit around him have had their season tickets for several years, it's the same crowd pretty much every game and there is a massive change in them come a European night. They sit relatively quiet on a Saturday (same goes for weekday league games) but come Champions league Wednesday they turn into shouting, singing, curse spitting nutters like everyone else in the ground! The difference is incredible.

This bit got me from the Carra interview;

“It’s like a different venue. The fans are up for it much more, the noise level is astounding and the intensity generates a vibe that rarely fails to inspire us to play to our fullest potential. If most English sides had to endure the Anfield European atmosphere, we’d probably blow them away. All of us must take responsibility for that.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 am

Listened to that Carra interview last night meself, and he says the same thing about the atmosphere.

I can understand what everyone is saying as i have previously said, if we have Real Madrid players and fans are bound to be right up for it, its the type of game that excites everyone.

But if us fans keep talking about how much we want the league maybe we should prove it a bit, and make extra effort on these so called boring easy looking home games ?

We play Hull or Stoke at home and the atmosophere is flat, the tempo of the game can suffer as a result of that, i genuinely believe this.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Scottbot wrote:“It’s like a different venue. The fans are up for it much more, the noise level is astounding and the intensity generates a vibe that rarely fails to inspire us to play to our fullest potential. If most English sides had to endure the Anfield European atmosphere, we’d probably blow them away. All of us must take responsibility for that.

Maybe they should play that portion of Carra's interview over the tannoy before every league match at Anfield.  It's hard to deny the logic of it.  With crowd in full voice on European nights the lads play with a swagger and intensity that would blow most teams away.  If that atmosphere were common in the league, we'd see opponents under a lot more psychological pressure, I think.  Some might still try to park the bus but I think a lot more sides would crack under the pressure.  Beats the hell out of booing Lucas, at any rate.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm

I think that Carraguer spoke clearly about this in an interview, and the supporters got the message, for what I could listen in the tv, there was an important improvement in the atmosphere. It would be interesting if a match goer confirmed this improvement.

I have to credit the annoying Villa fans too, I really never stopped listening to them even when they were being thrashed.

They were quite annoying, there was a situation with 5-0 in which Cuellar handballed the ball and the Red fans shouted, handball!!

I think the cheeky básts kept saying handball!!!! as in mocking the next 5 minutes everytime the ball was touched by a player. IMHO, it was a handball, BTW :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:37 pm

its because of the nighttime kick off imo mate, ive been to a few midweek league kickoffs and the odd CL game and it always seemed to me to be a better atomsphere at night.
burjennio

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:41 pm

burjennio wrote:its because of the nighttime kick off mate, ive been to a few midweek league kickoffs and the odd CL game and it always seemed to me to be a better atomsphere at night

Kick off time may well be a factor, but probably the last two results and the slipping of Manchester and Chelsea helped too.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion