Our players in the world cup - Tracking how our players are faring

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:55 pm

LFC_fan wrote:strange decision, letting carra take one of the penalties. i would rather have terry taken it instead but at the end of the day, the england boys just werent composed enough. knew portugal were going to win it the moment it went to penalties.

good england performance but sadly wasnt enough.

now that england are out, liverpool isnt represented anymore in the worldcup. germany vs brazil in the final anybody?

Maybe Crouchy would have been better instead of Carra!!!

I agree, now that England are out of the WorldCup,  Brasil and Germany final, that would be a great contest.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:34 pm

LFC_fan wrote:strange decision, letting carra take one of the penalties. i would rather have terry taken it instead but at the end of the day

Actually he scored a great penalty in the CL final in Turkey, he hit it inside-out upper corner. Unsavable. Not his day today I guess.

I feel gutted but at least we have no injuries (other than Cisse)  :down:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Carra only came on as sven asked the subs who wanted to take a penalty, and carra, man that he is, said that he would. so fair play to the lad and lets look on to the start of the seasno. sheff utd. live on sky sports if you can't geta  ticket. 1245 kick off.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:39 pm

i know this has nothing to do with this topic but how do you put pictures under your name ive tried everythin. could some 1 help plz ??? thanks :)
Kopite-Jud

Postby Red Soul » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:58 pm

The real reson why England crashed out of the World Cup?

Look no further than the manager, Sven Goran Eriksson.

I know that many on here would rather watch Liverpool win 1-0 against Middlesborough than have England win the World Cup, but I wanted them to succeed, if for no other reason than that our boys, Gerrard, Carra and Crouch, wanted to win the World Cup. I have enough respect for those players to wish them to achieve one of their dreams.

I watched the match on the box, as did millions of other fans, and was left completely mystified by Sven's team selection. It appears to me that Sven only wishes to please the tabloid media rather than actually manage the team.

For f**k's sake, the man is blind to England's best formation and team selection. Lampard needed to be dropped, as the tubby Chelsea boy only ever looked like shooting from a ridiculous range to enhance his own undeserved reputation. He had little interest in the players around him, no anticipation of other's forward runs, and a tendency to blast the ball skywards from a distance that would trouble no keeper in the World Cup. He's good at Chelsea, don't get me wrong. But that's because he's got Makelele to mop up behind him, and Essien to do the donkey work higher up the pitch. His game is about focussing on one particular facet of the complete central midfielder's game, namely getting up the pitch and whacking the ball goalwards.

Hargreaves needed to be dropped too. The media are blaring about how accomplished he is in the holding midfielder's role, whereas I think he failed utterly. How often was our own Stevie G left to come back and accept the ball from the centre backs because Hargreaves either wasn't interested, or wasn't in the position he was supposed to be playing? How many times did we see Stevie sitting in front of the defence and making important tackles, because Hargreaves had made yet another of his fruitless forays into the penalty box? Hargreaves was supposed to sit in front of the defense and stay there, and he failed dismally, so f**k the media and their overexaggerated 'the boy dine good' claims. If an England midfielder had the ball on the edge of the box, I'd bet a night with my favourite whore that everyone would rather see Stevie G with the old pig's bladder at his feet than that curly-mopped f**kwit.

And why is Sven still playing Beckham? He's got no pace, he's lost the ability to go past a defender, and his passing is erratic - sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes it's absolutely dire. Oh, but I stand corrected - he takes a good free kick. Wow. So does Stevie. And to be honest, I've lost count of the amount of times that the bouffant retard has pinged a promising ball off the first defender.

Lastly, what's all the fuss about Rooney? Granted, he's a good player. Bags of skill, pace aplenty, and takes a cracking shot. But can he play as a lone striker? Can he f**k. Every time that Rio Ferdinand donkey-hoofed the ball to him from our penalty area, the ginger bloater turned and tried to run at goal. With about seven defenders around him. Not surprisingly, he failed every time. Also, the question mark is again raised about the kid's temperament. He gets angry too easily, flails his chubby body about the place, and is red carded for his troubles, leaving the team a man down.

I'd play Crouch instead of Lampard. Have two up front permanently, rather than have this ape to spoon every promising chance over the crossbar. This would enable Rooney to play the deeper role that he revels in, and Crouch would be perfectly capable of holding onto the ball until the cavalry arrived.

I'd play Carrick instead of Hargreaves. He not only sticks to his role better than the gimp Hargreaves, but is a better passer of the ball. Hargreaves is only effective as a roaming pinball bumper, whereas Carrick has the passing ability to spot and initiate an attack.

And I'd play Lennon instead of Beckham. Beckham's past it, over the hill, and offers nothing to the team but his dead-ball ability, which several other members of the squad could show that they're not too shabby at, if they were given the chance to take one or two. Lennon, however, has the pace and skill to beat his marker and put in a decent cross or pass into the box - and what more can you ask from a right winger?

Sven is a jellyfish and fully deserves to have the England job yanked from his clammy grasp. He doesn't have the bollox to drop a big-name player, or to make a decision that would p*ss off the media but be good for the team, and has as much grasp of tactics as my wife's period knickers.

The best England team, as I see it, is:

--------------Robinson-------------------
---Neville---Terry---Ferdinand----A. Cole-
-------------------Carrick--------------------
---Lennon-----------------------J. Cole--
------------------Gerrard--------------------
----------Rooney------------------------
-------------------Crouch--------------------

This is a team that Sven failed to play. Because he does not posess the testicles to drop the 'big-name' players to accomodate this side.

I'm gutted for Stevie, Carra and Crouch. They gave their all, they wanted it more than anyone, yet they were undone by their invertebrate of a manager. You can't help but feel sorry for the lads.
Red Soul

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Red Soul wrote:The real reson why England crashed out of the World Cup?

Look no further than the manager, Sven Goran Eriksson.

I know that many on here would rather watch Liverpool win 1-0 against Middlesborough than have England win the World Cup, but I wanted them to succeed, if for no other reason than that our boys, Gerrard, Carra and Crouch, wanted to win the World Cup. I have enough respect for those players to wish them to achieve one of their dreams.

I watched the match on the box, as did millions of other fans, and was left completely mystified by Sven's team selection. It appears to me that Sven only wishes to please the tabloid media rather than actually manage the team.

For f**k's sake, the man is blind to England's best formation and team selection. Lampard needed to be dropped, as the tubby Chelsea boy only ever looked like shooting from a ridiculous range to enhance his own undeserved reputation. He had little interest in the players around him, no anticipation of other's forward runs, and a tendency to blast the ball skywards from a distance that would trouble no keeper in the World Cup. He's good at Chelsea, don't get me wrong. But that's because he's got Makelele to mop up behind him, and Essien to do the donkey work higher up the pitch. His game is about focussing on one particular facet of the complete central midfielder's game, namely getting up the pitch and whacking the ball goalwards.

Hargreaves needed to be dropped too. The media are blaring about how accomplished he is in the holding midfielder's role, whereas I think he failed utterly. How often was our own Stevie G left to come back and accept the ball from the centre backs because Hargreaves either wasn't interested, or wasn't in the position he was supposed to be playing? How many times did we see Stevie sitting in front of the defence and making important tackles, because Hargreaves had made yet another of his fruitless forays into the penalty box? Hargreaves was supposed to sit in front of the defense and stay there, and he failed dismally, so f**k the media and their overexaggerated 'the boy dine good' claims. If an England midfielder had the ball on the edge of the box, I'd bet a night with my favourite whore that everyone would rather see Stevie G with the old pig's bladder at his feet than that curly-mopped f**kwit.

And why is Sven still playing Beckham? He's got no pace, he's lost the ability to go past a defender, and his passing is erratic - sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes it's absolutely dire. Oh, but I stand corrected - he takes a good free kick. Wow. So does Stevie. And to be honest, I've lost count of the amount of times that the bouffant retard has pinged a promising ball off the first defender.

Lastly, what's all the fuss about Rooney? Granted, he's a good player. Bags of skill, pace aplenty, and takes a cracking shot. But can he play as a lone striker? Can he f**k. Every time that Rio Ferdinand donkey-hoofed the ball to him from our penalty area, the ginger bloater turned and tried to run at goal. With about seven defenders around him. Not surprisingly, he failed every time. Also, the question mark is again raised about the kid's temperament. He gets angry too easily, flails his chubby body about the place, and is red carded for his troubles, leaving the team a man down.

I'd play Crouch instead of Lampard. Have two up front permanently, rather than have this ape to spoon every promising chance over the crossbar. This would enable Rooney to play the deeper role that he revels in, and Crouch would be perfectly capable of holding onto the ball until the cavalry arrived.

I'd play Carrick instead of Hargreaves. He not only sticks to his role better than the gimp Hargreaves, but is a better passer of the ball. Hargreaves is only effective as a roaming pinball bumper, whereas Carrick has the passing ability to spot and initiate an attack.

And I'd play Lennon instead of Beckham. Beckham's past it, over the hill, and offers nothing to the team but his dead-ball ability, which several other members of the squad could show that they're not too shabby at, if they were given the chance to take one or two. Lennon, however, has the pace and skill to beat his marker and put in a decent cross or pass into the box - and what more can you ask from a right winger?

Sven is a jellyfish and fully deserves to have the England job yanked from his clammy grasp. He doesn't have the bollox to drop a big-name player, or to make a decision that would p*ss off the media but be good for the team, and has as much grasp of tactics as my wife's period knickers.

The best England team, as I see it, is:

--------------Robinson-------------------
---Neville---Terry---Ferdinand----A. Cole-
-------------------Carrick--------------------
---Lennon-----------------------J. Cole--
------------------Gerrard--------------------
----------Rooney------------------------
-------------------Crouch--------------------

This is a team that Sven failed to play. Because he does not posess the testicles to drop the 'big-name' players to accomodate this side.

I'm gutted for Stevie, Carra and Crouch. They gave their all, they wanted it more than anyone, yet they were undone by their invertebrate of a manager. You can't help but feel sorry for the lads.

i agree woth al you siad except for one thing:

hargreeves was the best thing in an england shirt today., and boy did he show it. look at the bbc ratings, loomk at the sky sports ratings... actually just watch the match.... owen hargreeves was everywhere. he gave his all. he was awesome today. defender. midfelder and he even took portugal on down the wing more times than beckham and succeded. he was immeanse tonight. there is no way you can  justify anyone in his [place doing the job he did tonight. hats off to the lad
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Soul » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Exactly my point.

He was everywhere, when he should have been in front of the defence and allowing Gerrard and Lampard to be everywhere else, instead of leaving gaping holes in the middle of the park.

He didn't do his job, and that's why we saw Stevie dropping deep so many times when he should have been at the other end of the pitch.
Red Soul

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:14 pm

Hargreaves' performance today reminded me of Beckham's one-man show against Greece to take us to the 2002 World Cup. He was absolutely everywhere.

When we had 11 men, he was often too deep, but with Rooney gone he played like two men. And two men playing 50 yards apart on the pitch, for that matter.

I've badmouthed him on many occasions, but his last two games for England, particularly today, have really caught my eye. It was an absolutely bravura display over 120 minutes.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Red Soul wrote:Exactly my point.

He was everywhere, when he should have been in front of the defence and allowing Gerrard and Lampard to be everywhere else, instead of leaving gaping holes in the middle of the park.

He didn't do his job, and that's why we saw Stevie dropping deep so many times when he should have been at the other end of the pitch.

no. he was there. watch the replay tonight. no other player could have done that job tonight as well as he did. i'm not the only one ---- go look at bbc ratings ... go look at sky sports ratings... hell go look at every single sunday paper ratings... they ALL have hargreeves as the stand out player. he did his job and more. he was there. all the time. you watch. when stevie is back - so is hargreeves, they were just marking different men
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:30 pm

The England team was a big big disappointment in the world cup. They played ugly football with a lone striker. I can't say that they deserved to win a single game. To win the world cup with one - 1 - striker and 10 men behind the ball defending like crazy. Let's just say that I'm happy that it didn't pay off. Frank Lampard is a joke. I have no idea why he got to play 5 games in Gemnany. Jamie Carragher had no business playing right back. He can't play there period. And then Sven decided to go there with two unfit strikers and Mr. Crouch. Not the best selection of players right? Well, if he wanted to play with 10 men behind the ball and a lone striker, then maybe. I am really surprised by England's poor tournament. They almost made it to the semis. But based on the football theyt played, I doub't they made a lot of people happy or made more friends. Football should be fun. It should be exciting. I don't wan't to see 10 guys trying to defend deep down into the box hoofing the ball up to a single man. Beckham is a joke, 10 times worse than Lennon still playing every single game. Let's be honest. P. Robinson, a semi fit A. Cole, a semi fit Roonay, Fat Frank, semi fit Neville, Joe Cole, semi fit Owen, Beckham... they are not world cup material. Only Ferdinand, Terry and Gerrard were up to it. Hargreavers and Lennon could have made a mark givern the chance. Hopefully Steve McLaren will at least try to score goals and go forward. Sven's ugly football should die tonight. It did not pay off, and I hope it never will.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm

Ye, feel sorry for hargreaves. He ran his balls off and scored a pen but still ended up on the losing team, i'd have been crying too :D Proper gutted for stevie and carra. :(
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm

To be fair, the gaping holes in the middle of the park were chiefly caused by a clearly knackered Gerrard. Hargreaves practically carried the midfield (apart from Lennon) for the last 40 minutes of the game.

For me, Lampard was absolutely terrible today, and didn't seem to have a clue what his role was. Neville was caught out of position a few times, but instead of letting Rio come over and cover, Frank was inexplicably filling in as makeshift right back at times. Robinson kept getting play moving quickly with a throw out, and instantly Lampard was miles away from the action. You can't blame Hargreaves for that.

On the back of the last few games, I'd have no qualms with Gerrard and either Hargreaves or Carrick as the first choice central midfield pairing. Lampard has looked woefully out of his depth over the 5 games, and I just hope that's not lost on Steve McLaren. There have been better players than Frank Lampard left out of England sides over the years, and if the new coach is to make any kind of progress with the players available, the myth of Lampard as undroppable has to be dispelled.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:36 pm

banana wrote:The England team was a big big disappointment in the world cup. They played ugly football with a lone striker. I can't say that they deserved to win a single game. To win the world cup with one - 1 - striker and 10 men behind the ball defending like crazy. Let's just say that I'm happy that it didn't pay off. Frank Lampard is a joke. I have no idea why he got to play 5 games in Gemnany. Jamie Carragher had no business playing right back. He can't play there period. And then Sven decided to go there with two unfit strikers and Mr. Crouch. Not the best selection of players right? Well, if he wanted to play with 10 men behind the ball and a lone striker, then maybe. I am really surprised by England's poor tournament. They almost made it to the semis. But based on the football theyt played, I doub't they made a lot of people happy or made more friends. Football should be fun. It should be exciting. I don't wan't to see 10 guys trying to defend deep down into the box hoofing the ball up to a single man. Beckham is a joke, 10 times worse than Lennon still playing every single game. Let's be honest. P. Robinson, a semi fit A. Cole, a semi fit Roonay, Fat Frank, semi fit Neville, Joe Cole, semi fit Owen, Beckham... they are not world cup material. Only Ferdinand, Terry and Gerrard were up to it. Hargreavers and Lennon could have made a mark givern the chance. Hopefully Steve McLaren will at least try to score goals and go forward. Sven's ugly football should die tonight. It did not pay off, and I hope it never will.

Jamie Carragher is an absolutely fine right back, but what he isn't is an attacking wing back, and it's pretty pointless having the two Coles overlapping on one side if you don't have something similar on the right.

And Joe Cole? Not World Cup material? After the group stages, he'd have walked into almost every country's first 11. He wasn't great against Ecuador or Portugal, but then not many of England's players were.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:43 pm

i think to get the best out of gerrard you need to play him with carrick who has many similar attributes as alonso.playing carrick i belive would have brought out the best in the rest of the players. I meen Lampard "suppost to be the second best in the world" he looked more like 2000000000 th at the world cup . The saying form is temporary and class is perminant comes to mind when i think of Gerrard and Lampard.Gerrard has consistant class every game and Lampard just failed.By the way every one is saying that Hargreaves had a amazing game but i belive Ashly Cole was a unsung hero today.

------Robinson-------
  -Neville-Ferdinand-Terry-A.Cole
------Carrick-Hargreaves------
-Lennon                         J.Cole-
             Gerrard
                       Crouch     
i would have personaly played that formation which is kind of like liverpools last season with sissoko and alonso where carrick and hargreaves is with gerrard in attaking mid.
             I hope the reports are true about ronaldo going to madrid coz the premiership shouldnt have women like him init it just spoils the english game , i cant stand cheats in the common game. Remember once when Fowler fell over in the box and was given a penalty and Fowler said to the ref it was'nt a pen.Why cant more people be like this.
Kopite-Jud

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 pm

I've had people saying to me that "Lampard's had the most shots of anyone in the World Cup" as if that's justification for instant selection. The fact that he's had so many and hasn't either scored or assisted in a goal tells me that he has incredibly poor decision-making skills, is ridiculously greedy, and has an uncanny knack of shooting straight into the chest of the keeper.

If we'd won the shoot-out, I'd have dropped both him and Beckham for the semi, absolutely no question. Beckham's England career may well now be over, but I think the last few weeks have really woken a lot of people up about Lampard. He's a very one-dimensional player, who has popped up with important goals to mask that fact. All credit to him for turning fairly limited skills into headline-making material, but if England are to be a world force, you have to face facts that he's just not a first 11 international player.
ivor_the_injun

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion