Other teams impact.... - ..on are title challenge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Garymac » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:16 pm

We have had many a thread on this forum about who we should sign and who should be sold and so on, but things currently happening in the transfer market and happening at other clubs might help us improve are league position, after all that is are main priority this season, it must be. Take a look at are pre season, apart from 24 hours (the Gerrard saga) it has been pretty spot on, Nearly a fully fit squad back, Kewell declaring his fitness, a left winger, a vieira type center mid, spains best keeper and a center forward and defender on the way as well as the most promising player from Chile, all in all id say a pretty good summer, and the bonus of no Diouf, cheyrou, Nunez going, and diao on his way....as well as being European champions!....Now weve done are part now look at the rest.

Chelsea havent had the best of summers, all the money but no big players want to go there, Moriniho already kickin off (its July for fu*k sake) and they still havent replaced Kezmen haha just kiddin.....The thing is with Chelsea they dont need to many world class players to come, but the more players that knock them back the better.

Now Arsenal and this is the reason i started this thread, they have sold Vieira for 13 million to Juve but only get 6 of it this year, so there captain is gone, as has edu, leaving flamini fabragas and Gilberto for center mid. 2 of them are 18 but fabragas is quality and Gilberto is injury prone so they need new players badly...dont know to much about helb but knowing wenger he could be a diamond of a player. There defense also needs a lot of work, Campbell is gettin on, they have had the whole Cole saga and Lehmann is, well, Lehmann causes more problems for Arsenal than anything else, So for me Arsenal are not in the best of shape at all going into the season.

And as for the buccaneers of Old Trafford, well is this the beginning of the end for the scum, theyve got the glazers in control, rio not happy on 100 grand a week (who would be?), giggs, keane (oh but they have got fletcher!), scholes gettin past there sell by date and the fans are determined to ruin there own club....sorry Malcolms club. For me, we cant improve on are own and as Arsenal and Manure reach probably there most important season for years they dont seem in good shape and i think this year is as good as any to make a break for the top 3, Chelsea on the other hand will be to much for anyone again this season in my opinion but now is as good a time to close the gap as any. In Rafa control we will improve no doubt and get better and better, you can see that with the squad we are building. We are not gonna close a 37 point gap on are own and in the last 2 years the champions have only lost 1 game between them and theres no way we can win the league doing that, but if we can go through the season just winning 5 or 6 games more and the top 3 lose 3 or 4 more, you are talking a 37 point gap being closed to a 10-15 point gap from the top of the league.....It might seem simple in theory but the way the pre season is going, we just need to keep are heads down and dont get boiled up in some needless banter with another team, and let the other 3 keep up there own little mind games, and things might just go are way.

In Rafa we trust.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:37 pm

good post.
i still think chelsea will walk away with the trophy this season. they'll bring in a couple of world class players and be done with it.
liverpool will close the gap, but realisticly we are aiming for 3rd/4th spot.
man utd season can go well or poor for me. depending on whether the oldies perform.
as for arsenal, i don't know what there playin at nowadays!
selling there captain viera, edu has gone aswell. pires lookin like he is on his way too. its not lookin too promising for the clarets is it!?!?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:09 pm

Good post, although maybe more suited to the general premiership discussion section

The way I see it, there is a lot for us to be optimistic about this season.  I am of the opinion that you worry about your own team and let the others worry about you.  We are in good shape going into the season, very good shape IMO. 

We have got a solid keeper now i think (Rafa wasn't lying when he said Reina was the best in Spain).  Finnan, Carra and Sami are all solid imo and I'd like to see more of Warnock at LB this year.  We'll have another centre back in place as cover for when the season starts as well, probably Milito.

We have outstanding centre-mids, Alonso and Gerrard are world class players.  How the hell did we get Alonso for 10mil??  Hamann and Sissoko (also an astute buy) are good backup.  Zenden and Gonzalez are also good buys i think.  Garcia and Riise were great last season and I just have a feeling we might see something from Kewell this season.  Figo to join also?  Wouldn't mind that.

Up front Morientes and Cisse are both fit and available again.  Baros' days may be numbered but I wouldn't write him off yet.  Pongolle will get games when he gets back and I liked what i saw from him last year.  Crouch to sign also??  Has his critics but he's another option.

I don't like focussing too much on our rivals, but what the hell, Man U are on the way down big time.  Their old guard are all but finished and their replacements not good enough.  The glazers will scr.ew them and rio and horsey want out.  Fantastic.  Arsenal have problems in Vieira and Edu leaving and the whole Cole saga, oh and van persie going to jail.  Pires leaving?  Bergkamp past it?  Might be a transitional season for them.  Chelski can't sign anyone because they're a cr@p club with no history, bringing Crespo back was desperation there.  Fat frank and Terry are relied upon too much there and an injury to either could see them crumble.  Robben and Duff are already injury prone.  And Everton? It'll prove to have been a flash in the pan season and they'll be fighting relegation with a squad of about 15 coz no one wants to sign for them.  Brilliant

Personally I fancy a top 3 finish or better for us, it will be a lot tighter at the top this year
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 pm

Honestly a think we can finish 2nd this season.Chelsea will prob win again but man utd hav the same time as last season aprt frm a couple of additions and arsenal r losin thier best players.

We need to improve our away form tho and with the extra signings we've got a think we can.THe only thing that could hinder our chances is fatigue because the number of games were playin at the end of the season but we have more depth in the squad this year and hopefully evry1 will be at thie best for most of the season and we stay injury free which didnt happen last season.
My prediction :

1.Chelsea
2.Liverpool
3.Man utd
4.Arsenal
5.Dnt know and dnt care :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm

Garymac wrote:We have had many a thread on this forum about who we should sign and who should be sold and so on, but things currently happening in the transfer market and happening at other clubs might help us improve are league position, after all that is are main priority this season, it must be. Take a look at are pre season, apart from 24 hours (the Gerrard saga) it has been pretty spot on, Nearly a fully fit squad back, Kewell declaring his fitness, a left winger, a vieira type center mid, spains best keeper and a center forward and defender on the way as well as the most promising player from Chile, all in all id say a pretty good summer, and the bonus of no Diouf, cheyrou, Nunez going, and diao on his way....as well as being European champions!....Now weve done are part now look at the rest.

Chelsea havent had the best of summers, all the money but no big players want to go there, Moriniho already kickin off (its July for fu*k sake) and they still havent replaced Kezmen haha just kiddin.....The thing is with Chelsea they dont need to many world class players to come, but the more players that knock them back the better.

Now Arsenal and this is the reason i started this thread, they have sold Vieira for 13 million to Juve but only get 6 of it this year, so there captain is gone, as has edu, leaving flamini fabragas and Gilberto for center mid. 2 of them are 18 but fabragas is quality and Gilberto is injury prone so they need new players badly...dont know to much about helb but knowing wenger he could be a diamond of a player. There defense also needs a lot of work, Campbell is gettin on, they have had the whole Cole saga and Lehmann is, well, Lehmann causes more problems for Arsenal than anything else, So for me Arsenal are not in the best of shape at all going into the season.

And as for the buccaneers of Old Trafford, well is this the beginning of the end for the scum, theyve got the glazers in control, rio not happy on 100 grand a week (who would be?), giggs, keane (oh but they have got fletcher!), scholes gettin past there sell by date and the fans are determined to ruin there own club....sorry Malcolms club. For me, we cant improve on are own and as Arsenal and Manure reach probably there most important season for years they dont seem in good shape and i think this year is as good as any to make a break for the top 3, Chelsea on the other hand will be to much for anyone again this season in my opinion but now is as good a time to close the gap as any. In Rafa control we will improve no doubt and get better and better, you can see that with the squad we are building. We are not gonna close a 37 point gap on are own and in the last 2 years the champions have only lost 1 game between them and theres no way we can win the league doing that, but if we can go through the season just winning 5 or 6 games more and the top 3 lose 3 or 4 more, you are talking a 37 point gap being closed to a 10-15 point gap from the top of the league.....It might seem simple in theory but the way the pre season is going, we just need to keep are heads down and dont get boiled up in some needless banter with another team, and let the other 3 keep up there own little mind games, and things might just go are way.

In Rafa we trust.

is this post because JBG said you have never posted anything half decent about football before  :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:48 pm

Very nice post. In my opinion Arsenal is going down this season unless they sign someone big with the money from Vierra, but I doubt Wenger would spend. Helb is a big question mark, as i suppose no one actually have seen him play. But Wenger must have bought him for a reason and that's probably why he is willing to sell his captain to Juve. Arsenal needs more cover for CM, plus more solid defenders (instead of Toure and Campbell). Their keeper is very unstable, i would say even worse than Dudek. Look at how they lost to Munich in CL... Toure and Lehmann rocks.... :laugh:
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:54 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
Garymac wrote:We have had many a thread on this forum about who we should sign and who should be sold and so on, but things currently happening in the transfer market and happening at other clubs might help us improve are league position, after all that is are main priority this season, it must be. Take a look at are pre season, apart from 24 hours (the Gerrard saga) it has been pretty spot on, Nearly a fully fit squad back, Kewell declaring his fitness, a left winger, a vieira type center mid, spains best keeper and a center forward and defender on the way as well as the most promising player from Chile, all in all id say a pretty good summer, and the bonus of no Diouf, cheyrou, Nunez going, and diao on his way....as well as being European champions!....Now weve done are part now look at the rest.

In Rafa we trust.

is this post because JBG said you have never posted anything half decent about football before  :D

Ya wha?  ???  ???  ???  ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:00 pm

i have to say that i am definitely more optimistic going into this season than i was last season. the danger now is that after last season's historic achievement, this season is in danger of being somewhat of an anticlimax unless our league form improves drastically.

with the squad we have now, there are absolutely no excuses for not finishing in the top 4 (barring injuries). everton will be nowhere near where they were last season. spurs and boro will both improve and be pushing hard for europe.

we have to set our sights on breaking into the top 3. the mancs may not be what they once were but they are still a formidable outfit on their day. chelsea and arsenal will contest the title to the death in my view. forget chelsea's chequebook, i just think the youngsters that arsenal are bringing through, i.e. van persie, reyes, clichy, senderos, fabregas are going to make arsenal a serious threat both home and abroad next season.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 76-1115222408 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:01 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:is this post because JBG said you have never posted anything half decent about football before  :D

JBG wasnt talking about G-Mac, go back and read the post properly mate!!
I wont say who it was aimed at, but it is there if you read it properly.

:p  :D
76-1115222408

Postby Garymac » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:02 pm

JBG wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:

In Rafa we trust.

Ya wha?  ???  ???  ???  ???

im pretty much gona say what JBG just said....Ya Wha? ????

if he did say something though, your a fu*kin bad grass Red army, remind me not to rob a bank with you!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Adebisi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 pm

I'm hoping its going to be a lot tighter this season but unfortunatly can't see past Chelski again for the title, only thing stopping them would be a major injury crisis (worse than ours last season!) We seen the difference it made when Robben was missing but due to their defence they still got the results, perhaps an injury to Cech or Terry would perhaps make a difference, is not a good way to talk but no way we would have finished 5th had Gerrard/Alonso/Cisse been fully fit for the full season so we are entitled to say it!

I get the feeling it could be a last day scenario where the final day result could be the difference between 4th and 2nd. But I like to be optimistic and say we can win it. The majority of the games we played against Chelsea we were better, therefore by that rationale we are better than them!! Consistency is the key factor and I think after one dodgy season in the league this one will be a lot better for us.
I'm starting to ramble and contradict myself so will give up now :laugh:
Adebisi

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:50 pm

stmichael wrote:i have to say that i am definitely more optimistic going into this season than i was last season. the danger now is that after last season's historic achievement, this season is in danger of being somewhat of an anticlimax unless our league form improves drastically.

with the squad we have now, there are absolutely no excuses for not finishing in the top 4 (barring injuries). everton will be nowhere near where they were last season. spurs and boro will both improve and be pushing hard for europe.

we have to set our sights on breaking into the top 3. the mancs may not be what they once were but they are still a formidable outfit on their day. chelsea and arsenal will contest the title to the death in my view. forget chelsea's chequebook, i just think the youngsters that arsenal are bringing through, i.e. van persie, reyes, clichy, senderos, fabregas are going to make arsenal a serious threat both home and abroad next season.

i think arsenal might struggle, when united brought a lot of young players into the side they were all british and could look after themselves like scholes and nicky butt, and they also had players around them already in the team like keane, cantona, bruce and pallister who wouldnt go missing when teams tried to mix it. these lads at arsenal are all nice players but i think teams will see they are a bit lightweight and try it on. there`s going to be matches where they are struggling and without a leader like viera i think their heads will go down and stay down.if they lose henry to injury i think they could really struggle.
more importantly i think the club and fans are a little pessamistic about next season, for the first time in almost a decade i think arsenal will start the season without that self belief that they will win the title.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby mighty mo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:57 pm

this coming season looks like it is going to be very good for us liverpool fans ,manure are in crisis,and the claims by gary nelville that they are going to go unbeaten are signs of desperation.arsenal are definately not going to be a factor now that the leader and lynchpin of the side has now gone and will take them till christmas before they get over the shock.chelski have the same team as last season but with a world class striker going to be playing everweek in crespo instead of that donkey drogba and title holders will find it more difficult defending because everyone wants a crack at them and will find it harder especially in  the london derbies they will drop points .rafa in the coming season will make liverpool title contenders this coming season,i,m not making predictions for the order of the top four but i think we,ll see a massive improvement and definatelty see us in the tital mix
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 am

Arsenal could go either way this season - looks like they've got a whole load of unhappy players starting to boil over there. Weird when this time last year they looked like winning everything in sight? Maybe their new kids will be good enough, but they don't look like title challengers. Manure haven't even been in the rumour transfer market much, let alone the real one. They've got a half way decent keeper now, so maybe they'll cope with a midfield full of pensioners - title winners? no way!  But then me wishnig that every year hasn't always worked??? Chelsea won it last year by so much that it won't matter if they're not as consistent - but they probably won't be quite so dominant.
Right - us then. There's no way we can be as bad in the league as we were last year. We've got a few excellent new players and last years signings should improve. Stevie G will probably be more like the 2003/4 player than he was last season. We've got plenty of grounds for optimism, and the top 3 have got things to worry about. I think the gap between us and Chelsea will be single figures, and we've got every chance of finishing 2nd. With a decent slice of luck we could even win it - BRING IT ON!
neilE

Postby Paul C » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:14 am

Totally agree Gary, Gigg, Keane, Scholes and Neville are on the way out and will be hard for them to replace, where we on the other hand have Xabi, Stevie, and Sissoko (if he is as good as Rafa says) so we are strong in midfield plus Rafa is strengthenin the defence and getting a quality squad, I deffo think that this season will be a good one :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion