How many players short of a title challenge ar we?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

cause a long time ago i bet someone £300 that gerrard at one point in his career will fire us to premiership glory and time is running out  :(

i say we probaly need 7 players, probaly around 100 million spent

left back, 2 centre back, 2 wide men,  a destroyer in centre mid and striker
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 pm

LittleHobo wrote:cause i predicted a long time ago i bet someone £300 that gerrard at one point in his career will fire us to premiership glory and time is running out  :(

Even if we got 7 players it would probably take time to gel etc.  I honestly dont think Stevie will ever get to lift that trophy.  pray im wrong every day though!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

bad times  :(

i gonna have to get some over time in then to pay the bet
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby OneHotRed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

I agree, I think we need a new back line, a proper holding destroyer, a few wide players and a striker.  I would also like someone in the alonso mould too :(
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I reckon we are about 5 quality players away but it all depends on how good the youngsters coming through are. I've been very impressed with Kelly and Shelvey so far and if Pachecho can join them then we are starting to look good.
worcester_red

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm

jacdaniel wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:cause i predicted a long time ago i bet someone £300 that gerrard at one point in his career will fire us to premiership glory and time is running out  :(

Even if we got 7 players it would probably take time to gel etc.  I honestly dont think Stevie will ever get to lift that trophy.  pray im wrong every day though!

That's the spirit!

If this season is anything to go by the competition levels of the league are increasing. Gone are the days of winning the league by a canter.

The margin between top 4 and top 10 in a few years will be negligible. Also with the financial fair play rules being introduced the focus will be on the teams that are coached well and play well as a team, as opposed to who can afford the best team.

I am optimistic about the future under NESv, we're headed in the right direction. If Gerrard stayed till retirement (5 more years?), I personally think he would lift a league trophy for Liverpool.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:51 pm

LittleHobo wrote:cause a long time ago i bet someone £300 that gerrard at one point in his career will fire us to premiership glory and time is running out  :(

I agree. Problem is we are talking about 7 quality players in the starting lineup. That imo translates to hundreds of millions in todays market, not just a hundred.

Only 3 current  players in the squad are players I can see in a title winning team.

Imo we haven't been this far away from winning the title in 20 years and there is no way ownership will spend that much to bring in those 7 players.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 pm

then i best get me cash ready then  :(
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby worcester_red » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Penguins wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:cause a long time ago i bet someone £300 that gerrard at one point in his career will fire us to premiership glory and time is running out  :(

I agree. Problem is we are talking about 7 quality players in the starting lineup. That imo translates to hundreds of millions in todays market, not just a hundred.

Only 3 current  players in the squad are players I can see in a title winning team.

Imo we haven't been this far away from winning the title in 20 years and there is no way ownership will spend that much to bring in those 7 players.

we have more than 3 players if our players play to their potentials.

I'd say Reina, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson/Aurelio, Mereiles, Gerrard and Torres would find a place in most top teams, that's 8 players so we are really only missing 3 players and if we can get Suarez and Adam then we are only one quality player short, although I concede that I would like better CB's than Carra and Agger plus also a few more quality players for the squad.
worcester_red

Postby ethanr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Well I would say keep Reina, Meiriles, Gerrard, Torres, Kelley and possibly Carra.  I worry that, by the time the rest of the team gels, he could be too old.  That means we need 6 good players.  If we play the 4-3-3, We could have:

Reina
Kelley  Carra   New CB   New LB
New RM(Adam)    Meiriles    New LM (Young?)
Torres     Gerrard    Suarez

Now I don't know if Adam can play on the right or not obviously.  If not, then he may end up just being back up.  At least we would have some depth.  Our days of the 4-5-1 are over if we sign Suarez.  Young would be a great addition.  Glen Johnson could play in that right mid position if he were up to the challenge.  But if we sign Young Adam and Suarez this window, that means that our top 6 could be set.  We have Carra and Kelly already there and Reina good to go.  That means in the summer, we would need a really strong left back and a really strong CB.  Then we could hopefully get some younger guys ready to take over for those in the starting 11.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Lots. Other than the GK and RB positions you can make a good case for strengthening every other position in the team. That's not to say that we need new players in all of those positions in order to challenge for the title, but in a majority we would need to significantly improve upon what we already have - and especially in those areas where we are particularly lacking in depth, such as the striker department. Unlike Mr Penguin, I don't think we need the wealth of Man City to achieve those objectives. Spurs and Arsenal have proven that it's possible to sign players of sufficient quality to challenge for the title (Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric, Defoe, Dawson, Arshavin, Nasri, Van Persie, Fabregas) without going all Man City. But they are still some way behind, you may say - which is fair enough - in which case we may need to venture that bit further; but while we may need two or three in the £25m+ bracket, it still isn't necessary to splash out Man City money on every single one. When we do go for a player in that bracket, though, we will have a lot less margin for error. That's one of the reasons I don't feel comfortable with the Suarez rumours. The kind of money being talked about in his case should be reserved for, IMO, genuinely "world class" players like Aguero and potentially David Luiz....but they are probably out of range at this present moment. Without sufficient improvement to the squad we won't, I feel, be able to seriously challenge for the title but it is not the only part of that equation.
LFC2007

Postby burjennio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:09 pm

David Luis was outstanding against us for Benfica last season, dunno if hes worth the crazy money Chelsea have apparently bid for him is another matter
burjennio

Postby mart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm

To challenge we need 3-4 players. To be consistently at the top we need more as we need a bigger squad to cope with injuries on key players.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm

worcester_red wrote:
Penguins wrote:

we have more than 3 players if our players play to their potentials.

I'd say Reina, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson/Aurelio, Mereiles, Gerrard and Torres would find a place in most top teams, that's 8 players so we are really only missing 3 players and if we can get Suarez and Adam then we are only one quality player short, although I concede that I would like better CB's than Carra and Agger plus also a few more quality players for the squad.

Oh lord. If you think Carra, Agger, Kelly is good enough for a title team then I'd dare say you are seriously deluded and need to take of you lfc tinted glasses. None of them would get close to the backline of the other top teams.
Johnson... a big maybe but Aurelio is more unavailable than available.

And we know nothing about Adam and Suarez joining. That is hearsay, nothing else.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby paisleyred » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Think some are over estimating the ability of other clubs and the standard of the league.
Probably 3 top players and a good supply of youth would suffice.We could also pick up good players from smaller teams for a good fee given the right scouting system.
I don't think anyone should need to spend £18m on a right back.
Too much emphasis on how much players cost imo.
paisleyred

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion