Other teams impact.... - ..on are title challenge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:10 pm

A few words on our rivals.

Chelsea - Will definately be challenging for the title. Their success rests on a tremendous goalie and a rock solid back 4.

Arsenal - Vieira and Edu gone and maybe Pires as well. Still a pretty solid team. But unless they find a more reliable shot stopper and sign 2-3 more players I don't think they have enough quality to win the title. Having said that I do admit Hleb is a superb aquisition.

Mancs - They will try to win it this year. Ronaldo and Rooney will be better players and they have finally managed to get a sound goalie. It could be the last chance for some of their oldies to have a go at the title, and I wouldn't want to write them off.

LIVERPOOL

We are now putting together a pretty solid squad I must say. Two years back we had so much garbage hanging around that it was almost unbelievable. Murphy, Cheyrou, Diao ,, and so on. Now there is not much garbage to be seen is it? My only concern now is our right hand side and our central defence. But I trust Rafa to sort it out in the next few weeks. With quality work being done in training I think we can challenge for the title this year.

Goalies (8 out of 10)
Reina
Carson
Dudek

Three good goalkeepers. Reina is destined to become 1st choice, Dudek will probably leave and Carson will be second choice. Reina is according to Rafa the best goalkeeper in the premiership. If he is actually better than Cech he will earn us many bonus points this year.

Defence (6 out of 10)

RB (5 out of 10)
Finnan
Josemi
(Carra)

A weak spot in our squad. Finnan is our best player, and I think he had an ok season last year. Josemi is a wild card, you never know how he will perform, and Carra may also take the spot if there is some sort of a crisis going on. Not surprised if Rafa signs a new RB.

CD (4 out of 10)
Hyypia
Carra
Whitbread
(Traore)

This area is our weakest and I think Rafa will sign 2 new players for this position. Hyypia is not qualified to play for a title challenging side and Whitbread is unproven. Carra is a solid defender with a big heart for LFC, and should become even better next season with a quicker and more skilled partner.

LB (8 out of 10)
Traore
Warnock
Riise

3 good young players. This spot seems strong enough for me.

Midfield (9 out of 10)

LM (8 out of 10)
Riise
Zenden
Kewell
Gonzalez

4 good international players. Can Kewell find some form, how good is Gonzalez when he returns from injury. If both fail, we still have Riise and Zenden so this spot should be pretty good.

CM (10 out of 10)
Gerrard
Alonso
Sissoko
Hamann
Le Tallec

Benitez has put together a superb midfield. Alonso is my favourite. I believe he is the best passer and the most creative midfielder in the world. Sissoko and Hamann are the fighters, Alonso the creative mastermind and Gerrard is the goalscorer.

RM (6 out of 10)
Garcia
Nunez
Gonzalez
(Kewell)
(Figo?)

I believe Figo will become an LFC player and that should sort things out for the short term (give us 8 out of 10). Garcia had some good games in that position last year, and Nunez should improve if he sticks around. Gonzalez and Kewell can play there, and Benitez has also used Baros and Cisse as wingers.

Strikers (8 out of 10)
Baros
Cisse
Pongolle
Mellor
Morientes
(Garcia)
(Kewell)

A strong group of players, but still I have a few concerns. Cisse and Morientes haven't proven sh!t in the premiership and Baros is not the most effective striker in Benitez's system. I expect Benitez to sign a striker before the season begins, probably Peter Crouch.

All in all a pretty solid squad and a formidable first team. With 3 or 4 new players I think Rafa will have a squad just as good as Chelsea's and I would be surprised and disappointed if we didn't challenge for the title.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:16 pm

you badly under-rate Finnan IMO. You say he had an ok season when in fact he was one of our most important and consistent players. ???
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Man U stands a chance if Park shines!
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Seeing as Viera has gone, I think LFc could get second at a push.

we should be better than the manc scum this time around, and need to beat them when we play them. lkke all the top teams, we need to take points off them.

I predict second or third and within 10 points of the top, esp if we get figo too. and another centre back soon.
65-1114725958

Postby L-type » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:52 pm

LFC #1 wrote:you badly under-rate Finnan IMO. You say he had an ok season when in fact he was one of our most important and consistent players. ???

you have to learn that anyhing banana says is total rubbish, so you might as well skip his posts, as they always start off logical enough, until he uses that fuzzy logic of his.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:15 pm

:D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion