Other teams impact.... - ..on are title challenge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby L-type » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:44 am

I personally do think arsenal will pull a big signing out of their sleeve.  I can't see SWP going to chelsea now that Arsenal have the funds, and maybe another 5-6 million dollar ourchase and people will begin to see them as strong contenders again.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:04 am

Top post Garymac

Manure's definitely going down.  We can finish ahead of them.  Rafa's always been a winner (winning promotion with tenerife, the La Liga twice with valencia, UEFA Cup with valencia, CL with us).  He wont allow our players to perform badly in the prem.  again.  Our form will definitely improve this season and we can close that gap with chelsea in a hurry.  I predict 2nd or 3rd place finish.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PinkPantha » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:34 am

Will all the factors people have stated, I definitely think we can improve our Premiership finish
PinkPantha

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:36 am

I think it's the usual suspects - Chelski, Arsenal and Manure and also us.

While Arsenal and manure may show decline, they are still quality and should be in the reckoning. Manure maybe declining faster after next season, but not quite yet, IMHO.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:45 am

Just for the record, isn't Wenger's 10 mil signing Hleb gonna be a direct replacement for Vieira?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:11 am

I believe this season is going to be a good season for us with the signings Rafa made.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:04 am

Im pretty optimistic like most of us are .I think we could give all the teams a run for there money this year especially as Arsenal are in this transsision period and Manure are on the fall so maybe this is a good time for us to mount a serious challenge for the title.

But my realistic half is telling me you can never write the Manure off .Arsenal are going to be there or there abouts and obviously Cheski are going to start as favourites
In this realistic  thought as a Liverpool supporter we are never gonna know when our team is ready to win the title.
Every year for the last fifteen years we have all hoped or expected at the begining of the season that LFC would win the league.
And again like the last fifteen i hope we can win it, 89-90 was the last time we won it.Come on reds we would like some more recent memories of league glory..
66-1112520797

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:49 am

I'm not too sure we will win the league this season. We should defo see a marked improvement on last season but we finished 37 points behind Chelsea last season, and a gap like that isn't going to be reduced overnight.

Rafa seems to be adding a lot of depth to the squad at the moment, which is where we were lacking last season, and hopefully with another quality right mid (Figo?), centre-half (Milito?) and perhaps a striker coming in we should have a pretty decent squad to make a good challenge on the league title this season.

We showed last season that on our day we can outplay Chelsea and Arsenal, who are the top 2 clubs in England at the minute. The major problem is our away from and consistency against the so-called smaller clubs. Or home form was good last season picking up 40 points, compared to Man Utd (42), Arsenal (44) and Chelsea (47), but we only picked up a shocking 18 points away from home, whereas ManU picked up 35, Arsenal 39, and Chelsea 48, which was 1 point more than they picked up at home! Even Everton picked up 5 points more than us on their travels, so it doesn't take a genius to work out where we went wrong.

The action in the summer has been quite interesting, particularly at Man Utd, where it seems their dominance in English football is over, and I would hope that we could finish ahead of our rivals up the M62. Man Utd no longer have the pulling power they once had in attracting players, and if their only summer signings are Park from PSV and Van Der Sar then they are not going to be making any inroads into Chelsea and Arsenal. They desperately require a revamp in the midfield, but is the money there with Glazer putting the club into so much debt, at this moment I would hazard a guess that it isn't.

Arsenal has made a good quality signing in Hleb from Stuttgart but has lost their captain in Vieira. However Arsenal have some cracking young players in Flamini and Fabregas, who are very capable players at such a young age. Fabregas especially is an exceptional talent, and had a great first season in England, showing he is well in his element. Arsenal however still need re-enforcements and I think Wenger is going to make more signings. Up front they could perhaps so with another striker, but if they can hang on to Reyes, and finally get him settled in England then they have a hell of a player to partner with Henry, with the experience of Bergkamp as back-up. 
We outplayed Arsenal at Anfield last season, and got a deserved victory, albeit being a late goal from an unlikely source in Neil Mellor to secure it. However the game at Highbury showed how good this Arsenal side still is, and IMO they play the most exciting football in the country, but is not as always effective as Chelsea who base their game on a solid back four with Makelele holding the midfield together allowing Lampard, Robben and co to push forward and score the goals.

Chelsea are still the team to beat, and don't need to add many players to what is already an exceptional squad of players which picked up an incredible 95 points last season with 25 clean sheets. They aren't really weak in any area in particular, except perhaps up front. However this didn't seem to effect them last season, even though they didn’t have a prolific goal scorer, the goals form midfield more than made up for it. The key to Chelsea for me is their midfield, particularly Claude Makelele who as I mentioned earlier allows the attacking minded players like Cole, Lampard, Duff and Robben to stream forward. A
Although Chelsea have all the money in the world, they have only bought Del Horno form Bilbao so far this season, and have had bids rejected on players like Eto'o. However if Chelsea could buy another top quality striker and perhaps Joaquin or SWP on the right side of midfield they would have a pretty formidable team, and with Mourinho at the helm (as much as you may hate they guy, he is a top class manager) they have to be firm favourites to win the title again.

This season I think a top 3 finish would be an excellent achievement, and it is a very realistic goal IMO. Man Utd are not the force they once were and I can't see Everton repeating their form from last season (even if they did we would have to have an equally poor season to finish behind them).  The two clubs to beat are to beat are the London clubs in Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't think Chelsea will quite storm the league as they did last season and will probably finish with a total of 85-90 points as Champions with Arsenal a close second with a tally in the low 80's. I think we should aim for around 70-75 points which would give us around 15 more points than last season, and within 15 or so points off the eventual champions.

We are still not quite their in terms of winning the league just yet, but with a few more years with Rafa at the helm I think we could see the league title back at Anfield before 2010, or even as early as the 2006-2007 season if I am being optimistic. It's not going to be easy as Chelsea already have a fantastic squad with the ability to spend as much money on players as they want, but that doesn't always mean that the players will come as has been shown this summer. It's also about signing the right players who fit into the manager's plans, not necessarily world-class stars. Rafa already has experience in this sort of situation with Valencia, where he didn’t really go out and buy big names, largely cos he couldn’t, and still managed to succeed over big spending rivals in Real Madrid and Barca.

Let's hope Rafa can do the same with us in the near future. VIVA LA RAFALUTION, Walk On. 

:)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:40 am

Yeah for me Chelsea have the only settled squad, this season is massive for Arsenal and manure, Arsenal have great youngsters but i feel they are going to rely on them a hell of a lot this season, although i do see them spending the Vieira money on SWP, which would be another blow for Chelsea. Like LFC said if we even have an average away points tally at the end of the season we will be about 15 points better off anyway, are away form was a disgrace last season and this has to be put right at boro for the 1st game of the season........And another thing is we have to cerment are place in the top 4 in the 1st quarter of the season,we cant be playing catch up like we were for the whole of last season, we have the chance to play the top 3 at home in the opening months and we can really stamp some authority in the league.

My god im looking forward to next season!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:11 am

gotta disagree with u on the SWP thing gary. as soon as i knew viera was going i found a bookies that had SWP going to the gooners at 10/1. so i lumped on and the price has since been suspended. Gooners know they have to do something to appease the fans and SWP is the way they will go.
The mancs are still so far up their own arsenal that they will have a tough season and yet again we have a brand new squad that will take tmie to gel. Hopefully it will be between us and the cheatski but u can never count out the mancs or gooners
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 am

I may have missed a post somewhere else, but I think that everyone is focussing on the outfield players that are coming in as being our chance to improve this season.

For me the real shining light in the team is our new keeper. My comments aren't based on too much experience with him, but I think that he is going to instill a new sense of confidence at the back. If we concede less goals, the gap between us and Chelsea will close without a problem.

Watching him on Wednesday, even though he didn't have much to do, he looked like he owned the box. I am sure I am not the only one who held his breath thinking "oh no, here we go again" when that corner came over, only for my jaw to hit the ground when it soared off to the touchline for a throw. I was amazed, cos I can't remember a time when a pool keeper was that decisive. He even took down one of his own players in the process and that is a sign of a really good keeper when he is that focussed and determined. I also noticed a few times that when the ball went back to him, he actually looked comfortable with it at his feet. I get sick and tired of all these keepers who look like they have never been introduced to the concept of kicking a moving ball week in week out. My point being is that again, instead of worrying he is going to screw up on a pass back, he looks confident and that spreads throughout the team.

Things are looking really good, although I think we really need a striker and cover centreback to ensure we can maintain a high standard throughout the season.
Homebooby

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:52 am

Garymac - Nice post.

Here is what I think of the top 4.

Manchester United - As a fan of the greatest game I honestly sympathize with their fans, I can understand what its like to get a new owner but only time will tell what his true intentions are. We haven't really seen much to suggest that they will be any stronger this coming season than they were last, and let's face it, they weren't the Manchester United of old last season. In fairness to them, they struggled without van Nistelrooy leading their line and we can expect them to improve with their star striker back from injury. But I believe their problems are deeper rooted than that. In the main, I think they are struggling in the middle of the pitch. Roy Keane is not the same player he was, Ryan Giggs is getting old and with Ronaldo on form is finding himself on the bench and Schols isnt banging the goals in like he used to. Van Der Sar is going to be an improvement in the keepers department, but he isn't going to make them instant champions. Park Ji Sung is a good signing, I like the fellow and I rate him, but if thats all the business they plan on doing in this window then its a long shot. They need a replacement for Roy kean, and they need their key players to find form. Also Gary Nevil says he believes they can go unbeaten :laugh: .. i guess that belief is a good way to start the season. But consistency is what they lack and I dont think they will be a MAJOR threat to the 1st spot.

Liverpool - I believe that Liverpool had a relatively lackluster season the last time around. Undoubtedly, Rafa Benitez has come in and pulled you in the right direction, he realized that if he was to challange for titles he had to strenghten his side over the summer and some might say thats what he has done with Sisoko,Zenden,Reina,Gonzales, cant remember the other names. It was also a very wise decission to keep Hamman for another season. I really rate him and everyone knows he is a key player in the big games. It all comes down to dependance on Gerrard and how well the pressure can be balanced equally on the team and not just on one player (even if that wasent the intent, it sure was the outcome last seasom).

Arsenal - I thought Arsenal would be the main contenders (along with us) for the 1st spot. But now that they have sold Viera and it looks like Pires could follow, they might have some problems. Fabregas and Flamini are good players, but surely they cannot last all the games in all competitions throught the season. Gilberto is key and they will really need him to stay injury free, Hleb is their only signing and I believe he is to be a midfielder. But if they want stability in midfield they need to sign another player to take Vieras spot. If they fail to do that then everyone could be surprised as to where they endup in the league. They have some good players in Van Persie,Clichey and that RB (cant get his name) but they have just lost their most experienced player and it might hit them hard.

Chelsea - Everyones going to place their bets on us, and why not? I think we have a squad thats second to none, I dont believe we will get worse, only better. We needed a few players to bolster the squad and I am very happy with those that have come in. Del Horno is the best left back in Spain and watching him play on wednesday has re-assured me. He is just an outstanding player and will give Bridge a tough time for that spot. Kezman and Mika left which ment we needed a new striker even more that before, the return of Crespo has solved that problem. He has had an outstanding season for Milan and im sure he will carry on that form and find his shooting boots at Chelsea. Also the WC is around and he wants to play for Argentina. As for a midfielder I believe Essien will be announced as a Chelsea player in the next few days. That will be the final signing and we will be ready to explode. I have high hopes for next season.

Everton,Newcastle,Spurs - All the clubs have brought in a few playrs, but I dont see them threatening the top 4. Unless of course our wishes for Arsenal come true  :buttrock  . But on a serious note I think Newcastle have made 2 good signings in Emre and Parker (was devastated to see him go but understand that he needs to play each week), they need to find cover for an agenng Sherar and replacement for Kluivert and Bellamy. Spurs are turning into a decent side and I can see them improving. Everton id rather not say, you never know what they can pull this season.

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:40 am

I would not write Arsenal off at all, i think it will be between them and Chelsea, and i'm tipping Arsenal even without Vieira, he missed  quite a lot of games last season and they only lost one of them.
Fabregas has settled in so well and will not be bullied or get lost in games (as said by someone in previous post) anyone who's watched the lad knows he gets stuck in.
I agree that they need to sign another midfielder now as Hleb is not a natural replacement he is basically a wide flair type player (although he will also get stuck in) he wont hold his position like vieira did.
With the immenent arrival of Baptiste from seville and the possibility of another centre mid...Jenas ? They will be right up there next season.
United also will still be top 4, but am with the general agreement that they will not be champions or that close.
Van der Sar and Park are both decent and solid signings but they needed a bit more than that..and the Ferdinand saga is really threatening to ruin team spirit and morale before a ball is even kicked.
Chelsea are obviously goin to be right up there and have strengthed at left back where they were a little short, not sure if they even need Essien but it looks like he will improve there squad and sign this week as well.
So for us i predict 3rd, Arsenal champs, Chelsea runners up.
Am still waiting to see the final 3 players Rafa brings in before i get overly optimistic YET as they are vital.
A centre half is badly needed, as our right midfielder and striker.
It looks like Milito, Figo and Crouch.
I would be more than happy with them, and think we could push the scum down to 4th.
Everton = top ten at best
I think Birmingham will be much stronger this year and will be pushing for Uefa spot, the addition of Forssell will bring them the goals they were missing last season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 am

I like to see Liverpool football club underestimate by other rivals.

Don't forget how we gain the UEFA CL Champions last few weeks in the face of underdogs.

People describe us 'minnows' and of course Juve,chelsea and AC edged by 'minnows'. Ha

This season we'll be at least runners-up but if we sign peter crouch and abandon baros then we'll only able to sit outside of top 5.

However,i'll like to beat Chelsea and Mancs both home and away.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:59 am

I think with Patrick Viera haveing now moved to Juventus, their title hopes are gonna take a serious tumble. Although Henry can still supply goals Viera has been influential ever since he moved there. Wenger should have sold him last season, he would have got a lot more. But they have limited fuinds also and i doubt anyone can come in and pick ASrsenal up from where they left of. This is good news for Liverpool. Manchester United have there own problems with Rio and is he leaves then ther really screwed. Whats happeing with Gabrielle Milito? and as for a striker. Why does Rafa instead just sign some young kid from La Liga, that way we can keep Baros and still have someone in the wings waiting. This is gonna a be an important season for Cisse and Morientes and we need them to both be banging in at least 20 each.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion