How many players short of a title challenge ar we?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby pokster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:02 am

N'Zogbia - Left Winger
Suarez   - Striker
Adam     - Midfielder
pokster

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

Penguins wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Penguins wrote:Where have I stated that we need City money?

I said a couple of hundred of millions. City have spent billions...
You are talking as if we will spend every single penny efficiently and not make a single mistake on any big signing... Dream on!

Mistakes with transfers will always be made so you have to take that into consideration.

We haven't seen investment in the team for years and that is a big problem as we now have to catch up investmentwise for those lost years.

I love the clun and want us to succeed but righnt now we have players like, Maxi ,Kuyt, Lucas, Skrtel etc etc that just screams mid table nothing more.
And that is just not something you fix over a season or 2.

And then we have the ugly stadium situation which will set us back even further as we will generate less money than our rivals.

City haven't spent billions on players, they've spent hundreds of millions, and you said for us to challenge we would need 7 players and hundreds of millions, too. So, that's something in the order of £30m per player, minimum. As Arsenal and Spurs have proven, you can pick up real quality for a lot less than that. Instead of Babel, sign a Van der Vaart, intead of Keane an Arshavin, instead of Aquilani a Sneijder, instead of Kuyt a Van Persie etc.. There may be one or two instances where we need to fork out more, but in a lot of cases £15m has proven ample.

City have spent 450 million just in transfer fees these last 4 seasons!
Then when you add wages averaging 50 million/year the outlay I am comparing to is nothing.

I am saying we won't need half of that to be title winners but if you think our squad is in any way close or near the top you are kidding yourself.

The table don't lie. We are a midtable team and if you finish midtable aftar a season that is where you belong with the quality in the squad.

After these fair play rules comes into play it is going to be even harder as teams like Sunderland, Newcastle might finish ahead of us with bigger stadiums and european football to offer.

We need to fork out big as there are so many average players in the squad and what's even worse is that most are old and will have little or no resale value at all.

We will make mistakes in the transfer market, live with it!
This means we will have to fork our more than in you dream world where every single buy is a success.

For example, while we have even gone plus on transfers over these last few seasons selling, Alonso, masch etc and done nothing about our stadium, Spurs have invested heavily, have a better squad than us, overtaken our top 4 status and is far ahead with their stadium planning.

It is always harder to get back when you loose that top 4 status than to keep it.
Spurs now get Cl money, more exposure, more income, better players want to join them as they can offer the best tournaments.
To offset that there is only one way. Be just as aggressive as they have been to get into the top 4 with transfers, stadium etc.

And that cost a lot more as our income is less and squad quality worse.

But keep on believing a few players willl take us back into a title challenge next season... :no

No one is saying the squad is good enough you div.

The fact is the main transfers can wait till the summer. The fair play rules are as simplistic as you make out, go do some research.

Clubs must not return losses of more then €45m (£38m) for the 2012-15 period. After 2015 clubs are given a leeway of €30m (£26m) for three-year losses after which the figure will be reduced still further. Investment in facilities is not counted towards the losses.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
PabloMedina28 wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Lots. Other than the GK and RB positions you can make a good case for strengthening every other position in the team. That's not to say that we need new players in all of those positions in order to challenge for the title, but in a majority we would need to significantly improve upon what we already have - and especially in those areas where we are particularly lacking in depth, such as the striker department. Unlike Mr Penguin, I don't think we need the wealth of Man City to achieve those objectives. Spurs and Arsenal have proven that it's possible to sign players of sufficient quality to challenge for the title (Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric, Defoe, Dawson, Arshavin, Nasri, Van Persie, Fabregas) without going all Man City. But they are still some way behind, you may say - which is fair enough - in which case we may need to venture that bit further; but while we may need two or three in the £25m+ bracket, it still isn't necessary to splash out Man City money on every single one. When we do go for a player in that bracket, though, we will have a lot less margin for error. That's one of the reasons I don't feel comfortable with the Suarez rumours. The kind of money being talked about in his case should be reserved for, IMO, genuinely "world class" players like Aguero and potentially David Luiz....but they are probably out of range at this present moment. Without sufficient improvement to the squad we won't, I feel, be able to seriously challenge for the title but it is not the only part of that equation.

Yeh but mate dont make the mistake of thinking Arsenal and Spurs dont spend money. Spurs managers have constantly been backed with money despite the little theyve achieved, it was just a matter of time be4 it paid off and Arsenal constantly buy players in the 15-20 million bracket. Its a myth that arsenal dont shell out on players. They paid 5 million 4 Fabregas when he was 15. How many 15 year olds do u know that have gone 4 that much?

got to disagree there. 4million is for a prodigy like Fabregas is considered peanuts today considering the amount shelled out for lesser lights such as Poulson and Konchesky. and if you were to go through their team, you will see the players bought are really cheap but more importantly, they can be sold for a much much higher amount. just look at the list below of players past and present:

Van Persie - bought for £2.75 million
Vela - bought for £125k
Vermaelen - bought for €10 million
Sagna - bought for €9 million
Song - bought for £1 million
Ramsey - bought for £4.8 million

Emmanuel Petit - bought for £2.5m, sold for £7m
Viera - bought for £3.5 million, sold for €20 million
Toure - bought for £150,000, sold for £16 million
Overmars - bought for £5.5 million, sold for £25 million
Adebayor - bought for £3m, sold for £25 million

the players who are still with Arsenal today are worth so much more now and the others who left were sold for a profit. not forgetting they have an impressive youth team with players such as Gibbs, Wilshere and Szczesny. even if they do make huge buys, it doesn't effect them that much financially because chances are, they will be either sold for more, or they will go on to be vital players in the first team. unfortunately for us, we're not blessed with such amazing scouts and we also seem to be pushed around by the buying clubs when they want our players.

Not agruing that theyve spent better but theyve still spent alot. No matter how good Fab was 4-5 mill is still alot for a 15 year old and your list is very selective just to prove a point. Even though 2 of the players on that list were fair amount for defenders. You leaveout players like Nasri, Arshavin, Wlalcot and Reyes. Arsenal also never had to sell to buy something weve had to do for aslong as i can remember.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am

So is anyone expecting us to push for 4th now? I think we are still short a winger and a LB and CB but I think if we stay lucky with injuries and our 2 new strikers gel quick we may sneak it.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:18 am

it's possible although not entirely likely, still hope though.
Zidane

Postby OneHotRed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 am

bavlondon wrote:So is anyone expecting us to push for 4th now? I think we are still short a winger and a LB and CB but I think if we stay lucky with injuries and our 2 new strikers gel quick we may sneak it.

Going forward, we look like a force, however because of the defense we have, no, I think that will let us down.
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:42 am

we've actually got a better team now that Torres has left but we're crying for some changes to the defense.

GK - Reina, Jones,
DF - Johnson, Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Soto, Wilson, Aurelio,
MC - Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Poulson, Shelvey, Spearing,
AM - Cole, Kuyt, Jovanovic, Maxi, Pacheco,
ST - Carroll, Suarez, Ngog,

what we really need would be a left back, and a new central defender as Aurelio is often unfit, Skrtel is an accident waiting to happen and is often very lucky the ref doesn't spot his fouls while Carragher isn't young anymore. a winger with pace would be needed depending on the tactics employed by the manager. i'm very surprised there were no defensive players coming in during the window. can Wilson play at left-back? is Johnson the answer? how long more before Johnson throws his toys out of his pram about not playing in his natural position?

while we're at it, Skrtel, Jovanovic, Aquilani, Spearing, Konchesky and Poulson should be sold. Skrtel is calamity at the back while Aquilani, Konchesky, Jovanovic and Spearing really do not seem to have a future here. Poulson seems to be limited to a bit part player and while there is no harm keeping him as a back-up to Lucas, he may well possibly want regular football.

possible options for central defense includes - Gary Cahill, Micah Richards, Simon Kjaer, Jan Vertonghen and Mats Hummels

possible options for left back are - Davide Santon, Mamadou Sakho, Joe Mattock and Fabio Coentrao

of course i have not forgotten the fact that there's Mavinga and Wisdom in the youth set-up but its highly unlikely we will see them this season or next. with 2 top additions to the defense, there's huge potential that we could actually challenge for the title next season. of course seeing someone like Moutinho or Hamsik join us as well wouldn't hurt  :)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Octsky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 am

next up ... Charlie Adams.. and we have an advantage over mancs and spurs.
coz tat boy is a Pool fan.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:51 am

still need a defender and someone on the wing.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 am

I thought Wilson was a CB? is he not ready to drop in and make himself a hero
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

Lee J wrote:I thought Wilson was a CB? is he not ready to drop in and make himself a hero

wouldn't want to blood in two defenders at the same time to be honest, kelly doing really well but put another younster next to him and it might be just a step to far, i see him coming in to it more next season but what do i know
Last edited by GRAHAM01 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 am

Octsky wrote:next up ... Charlie Adams.. and we have an advantage over mancs and spurs.
coz tat boy is a Pool fan.

And no doubt a Kenny fan
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 am

i wonder how he feels today having to go back there and train again knowing they have cost him his dream move??
Last edited by GRAHAM01 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 am

If Suarez and Andy Carroll turn out to be excellent, then we just need to invest in a center back a left back and a winger

then we are in buisness
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 am

To be honest I fel Adam was a luxury signing, he would have come in handy but at the same time I think we have the players here already in his position to do what Kenny has in mind.

My first thought was always that we needed to add at least one forward. We have in net terms now done that, although we have lost the Judas which is not a bad thing either... and a net spend of very little really for the window. Looking at it objectively a canny piece of business.

Now onwards and upwards.. The squad is now in a position to move up the table. Europe next season is possible.

In the summer now all we need are two or three signings and we will be looking at a title challenge next year.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion