Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Suso does have a bit of a problem though in the sense that it's not really clear what his best position is, when Rodgers tried him as a wide player he wasn't really quick or athletic enough to get up and down the line all day, the days where wingers stood on the halfway line with their hands on their hips waiting for the ball are well gone, with the advent of attacking fullbacks wingers have had to learn how to defend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Suso hasnt had the best of form over the last few months and has been on the bench quite a lot. He also caused problems by turning up late for training.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Players like Suso are two a penny in Spain really and not shown he's anything special here.

Tidy on the ball and that but you need a lot more to be a real player in the Premiership and La Liga and the longer
you take to produce top teams bring more in and you end up way back then out.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:29 am

I hear Alex song wants to return to England, any takers for a reduced price? maybe around 10-12 mil.
killerp

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 am

killerp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 am wrote:I hear Alex song wants to return to England, any takers for a reduced price? maybe around 10-12 mil.

I always rated him at Arsenal. It's a good price considering he's 26.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Assuming CL is secured, then I think we need to massively improve our squad. Our first eleven is as good as anyone else, but beyond that we struggle to match the depths of Chelsea, City and to some extent Arsenal.

I'd say we need five or six players capable of playing in the first team and not letting us down. Buying that many isn't going to happen, as -

a) we can't afford it
b) it would be too many players to integrate

Instead, perhaps we will benefit from the loan spells this season, and in theory those players coming back better.

Suso, Illori, Wisdom, Robinson and Borini, in my view are all capable of playing the first eleven when required. Assaidi and Coates (who is injured not on loan) seem to be outside the manager's plans and may not have a place.

So with those five added to the squad, alongside the emerging younger talents such as Ibe and Texeira, we should have enough depth to use in cup games and to cover injuries and suspensions.

However, I think we MUST also add to that squad with two or three high quality, proven first team improvements/challengers.

Assuming Moses goes, Konoplyanka seems an upgrade on him, and I think a couple more signings of that calibre will be required as a bare minimum.
mkingdom

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:49 pm

mkingdom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm wrote:Assuming CL is secured, then I think we need to massively improve our squad. Our first eleven is as good as anyone else, but beyond that we struggle to match the depths of Chelsea, City and to some extent Arsenal.

I'd say we need five or six players capable of playing in the first team and not letting us down. Buying that many isn't going to happen, as -

a) we can't afford it
b) it would be too many players to integrate

Instead, perhaps we will benefit from the loan spells this season, and in theory those players coming back better.

Suso, Illori, Wisdom, Robinson and Borini, in my view are all capable of playing the first eleven when required. Assaidi and Coates (who is injured not on loan) seem to be outside the manager's plans and may not have a place. 

So with those five added to the squad, alongside the emerging younger talents such as Ibe and Texeira, we should have enough depth to use in cup games and to cover injuries and suspensions.

However, I think we MUST also add to that squad with two or three high quality, proven first team improvements/challengers.

Assuming Moses goes, Konoplyanka seems an upgrade on him, and I think a couple more signings of that calibre will be required as a bare minimum.

Good point there, but those guys will only be squad fillers.

In my opinion, we need a quality winger, central midfielder and two defenders (CB + LB).  I'd also like to see either Skittles or Agger moved on, as neither are good enough.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 pm

we can well afford to offload plenty without altering the first 11. we should focus on getting rid of fringe players who are either on loan or simply not good enough. replace the likes of aspas, coates, borini, assaidi, cissokho and maybe 1 or 2 in the first team like johnson (contract wise) and we can def improve on either lucas or allen.
if we sign better quality players that can actually take to the field whilst improving the side then we will be free to start offloading once we are settled. given how well they have performed this season provides a base to improve on providing we stay away from wholesale changes with our scatter-gun approach.
apparently we have 2 separate transfer plans for the summer based on whether we qualify or not  :laugh:  so hopefully the one we see is full of ambition coupled with intent and backed up with proper funds.
if we finish in one of the automatic spots then we have no excuses not to spend and avoid more possible shenanagans on the final day of the window but somehow i fear with them that unless its in, it ain't going out.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:19 am

I think Skrtel, Toure must go, I know most say that Skrtel is still a great player but he is too hot and cold for me.far too many mistakes this year at around 5 a game.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

i think toure was always a stop gap and although he got off to a flyer he wasnt long cooling down. dont think we can expect a lot from him next season especially if we are to blood in someone else.
skrtel has been found wanting and at times he has looked clueless but hands down our best defender all season. id have no problem with him going but it has got to be for someone better, an instant improvement not some kid or bargain bin leftover.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I will always fear making to much change to the team, Rafa did it just as we was getting close and got it wrong.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:43 pm wrote:i think toure was always a stop gap and although he got off to a flyer he wasnt long cooling down. dont think we can expect a lot from him next season especially if we are to blood in someone else.
skrtel has been found wanting and at times he has looked clueless but hands down our best defender all season. id have no problem with him going but it has got to be for someone better, an instant improvement not some kid or bargain bin leftover.

We supposedly (Echo reported) have £60M to spend on transfers, CL dependent.

I would keep all the players we currently have a add to the squad. Next season we will be under even greater pressure to replicate the form we have seen this season. A far deeper squad is needed to keep up this level of performance more than a season.

With the exception of a world class offer coming in for Skrtel, I don't see the value of selling him.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:13 pm

if they where to give that figure depending on qualification then he has got to get the money from sales on top of that. we could offload the fringe players i mentioned above in an earlier post. if they brought in £30mil then we have a good chance of getting 4 top quality players and for me that's what needs to happen. that way we improve the 1st 11 and we could actually look at the bench and see game changers on it which is what we will need in the CL and the fight for a return.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm

dread to think of what we are getting if we dont qualify  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:27 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:14 pm wrote:dread to think of what we are getting if we dont qualify  :down:

Apparently Anelka has cancelled his WBA contract via Twitter, so he's available....maybe. A model professional. :D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion