New manager if needed....... - The potential candidates.......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

New manager if needed....... - The potential candidates.......

Leave rafa in charge for the forseeable, come what may.
17%
Gus Hiddink.
12%
Somebody else not mentioned here.
9%
Jurgen Klinsman.
No votes
Marcello Lippi.
2%
Fabio Capello.
5%
Martin O Neill.
12%
Laurent Blanc.
2%
Jose Mourinho.
26%
Kenny Dalglish.
15%
Mark Hughes.
No votes

Total votes : 86

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:47 am

The other one was rightly closed as none of the names were relevent, so here is the more modern up to date version. It's a tough one because almost certainly the likely incumbant would be someone none of us have heard of, but I've tried to include the likely lads. A vote and then an explanation of why wouldn't go amiss, and this is IN AN IDEAL WORLD, if we could avoid the old "but he wouldn't come to us with our owners" chestnut every two minutes it'd help.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:49 am

For my part I can't vote, but given I've said "in an ideal World" there is only one candidate and it's Mourinho. Still, like I say I can't vote so my opinion is even more irrelevent than usual.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:54 am

I still feel that Kenny Dalglish could do a great job for us. I would give him till the end of the season to show what he can do. If he doesn't look like he is the answer I would then bring in Mourinho for next season. I don't think we would need to in all honesty though. Kennys the man, if anyone can .....Kenny can.

I feel he is the one person that will unite everyone, the fans the players the backroom staff .... maybe not the owners, but everyone else.
account deleted by request

Postby made in UK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:55 am

Right now I'd take all but three, those being Hughes, Dalglish and Klinsman.

I said Hiddink a while back but I don't think he seems realistic going by what others have said sorry Mick.

I cringe to say it because the little Irishman irks me, but he is exactly the kind of manager we need right now. If we could of injected O'Neil's better qualities into Rafa we'd of been fine.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:58 am

Kenny's too old whatever the attraction.

Capello has had time to learn the job with England and would slot in well. He'd also bring the discipline we need in the changing room.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:01 am

I have to say Mourinho and I think the reasons are obvious.

The next best alternatives, IMO, are Hiddink and O'Neill. When we were searching for a new manager after Ged left, O'Neill was the one I wanted to see come in. He's done a very solid job wherever he's been and if there's any British manager that deserves a crack at one the top four clubs, it's him. I think Capello is a long shot (ideal world, I know, but he's a dead cert to be with England until at least the summer and seems to be very committed to the job), but he would be next one after those two. If we couldn't get one of the first three (Mourinho, Hiddink, O'Neill), then clearly Kenny would be ideal as caretaker, potentially with a view to taking over on a longer term basis.

Klinsmann shouldn't be in the list and Hughes is a Manc.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 am

s@int wrote:I still feel that Kenny Dalglish could do a great job for us. I would give him till the end of the season to show what he can do. If he doesn't look like he is the answer I would then bring in Mourinho for next season. I don't think we would need to in all honesty though. Kennys the man, if anyone can .....Kenny can.

I feel he is the one person that will unite everyone, the fans the players the backroom staff .... maybe not the owners, but everyone else.

I couldn't agree more.

:D
ConnO'var

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:23 am

voted to keep Rafa where he is, in an ideal world as you put it we would of carried on our form of last season and be up there challenging but alas where not, still i said i would stick by him till the end of the season and i will.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Penguins » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:36 am

Unlike all of you I try to be a bit more realistic.

Even if the question was in an ideal world saying Hiddink and Capello brings nothing to the discuassion as there is nochance even in ideal world.

Even if I still think we can't do much better than Rafa I believe Roy Hodgson could do well actually. why?

Well, he has done amazingly well with Fulham who has had limited resources and taken them from relegation fodder to a team fighting for the european places. He has a strong cv, which includes all kinds of jobs such as Inter, Finlands National team and has loands of experience and builds solid teams.

He also wouldn't cost a fortune to buy out as Fulham isn't recognized as a top team. And the weak still goes on about Mourinho who I can find 3 very strong reasons as to why he is
an overvalued primadonna.

But as a general rule no matter who the manager is:

There is a big difference winning the league spending 2-300 million in couple of seasons and winning the league with 15 million/season. A HUGE DIFFERNCE but that will never go through some people's thick skull no matter what, since he has title winning experince  :no
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:43 am

Would you rather take Hodgson over Mourinho?
LFC2007

Postby Fauxy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:08 am

Rijkaard  :;):
Fauxy

Postby boodiddy1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:30 am

i voted mon. Mourinho would be great, but the way we are boardroom level he just wouldn't work. MON as annoying as he is, is a great tactician, a good motivator and more importantly, he is british (to an extent) in footballing terms.

This club i feel needs to go british instead of foreign again. I truly believe this. So if MON ain't available, then Kenny, hodgson or me:p
boodiddy1

Postby chrisrafman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:45 am

My first choice is Kenny but if not him you have to look at Hiddink and Jose. Mourinho is proven in the Prem and is ballsy enough to take on the mind games from Fergie and Wenger. Hiddink on the other hand I would look at for short term improvement for the team. Just look at the change in fortunes for Chelsea last year after he replaced Scolari
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 am

I think Kenny has been out of the manager game too long. He is a legend and because of that I could not complain in anyone giving him a chance but he would not be my first choice.
Last edited by Dex on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dex

Postby red_guy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 am

Well most of us chose to stick with Rafa until May but judging by the reaction from the players, maybe ( i said maybe) they seem to have lost the  confidence in the gaffer, and if so, is it still relevant to keep rafa until the end of the season?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion