A look into our potential last 16 opponents...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Okay, now that we're through and that the final lineup of the last 16 is known, here is a complete lodown of our potential opponents:

Bayern Munich

Currently lying top of the Bundesliga and hot favourities to go far, they have many experienced players in Ballack and Makaay, and could significantly lower our chances of reaching the quarter finals. That said, they are seemingly one of the hardest opposition we could potentially meet. Although we fear no one as shown last year in Juventus, Chelsea, and ultimately Milan, it is still a seed to avoid.

Ajax Amsterdam

After stumbling through a relatively weak group, they are one of the weaker teams in this draw, however no games at stage should be considered a walkover. Despite having a comprehensive history in this tournament, they currently lie disappointingly at 8th place in the Dutch League and that in itself tells an awful lot. Although things might change come February, it is one of the more favourable draws.

Werder Bremen

The Germans sneaked through to the last 16 in very unexpected circumstances, thrashing Panathinaikos 5-1 while needing Barcelona to do them a favour. Currently lying 3rd in the German League, they might not be one of the hardest draws but certainly not the easiest either. Their main worry is their lack of Champions League experience at such dizzying heights and might work to our advantage if we do draw them. Wouldn't mind having a crack at them.

Benfica

The club of a player that we are very much after, they famously defeated Manchester United 2-1 to send themselves through to the last 16 in what was a tight group. However, they lie disappointingly at 6th place in their domestic league and that again tells an awful lot. Would be one of the easier draws but certainly not a walkover. Just ask Manchester United. If we manage to steal Simao Sabrosa away from them, it will be much easier due to him being their most influential player.

PSV Eindhoven

Lying pretty at the top of the Dutch League, they are a hard working and skillful bunch despite losing many of their influential players during summer. After seeing them seal a their place in the last 16 in what was a pretty decent group, they could pose many problems to our progression further in the tournament as they are after all last year's tournament semi-finalists. One of the relatively harder seeds in the pot but as proven last year, we fear no one.

Real Madrid

Admidst chaotic management within the club, we all know how inconsistently they fare, both in the domestic and European front with all the egotistic galacticos in the side. However, they are a force to be reckoned with on their day due to the abundance of individual raw and skillful talent in the team. With Rafa's knowledge of Spanish sides, it would not be too much of a surprise if we easily sweep past them. Still, I should think it's a seed to avoid.

Rangers

Last but not least, it's a debut appearance for Rangers and the Scots in the last 16 of the tournament. Sitting poorly at 5th place in the Scottish league, they would provide us with the perfect opportunity to progress further in the tournament. They have a manager who is on the brink of getting the sack despite the, what I say, fluky advancement into the last 16. Although prospects might change come February, this is one of the more favourable draws. 

Favourable Seeds: Ajax Amsterdam, Benfica, Rangers.

Seeds to avoid: Bayern Munich, PSV Eindhoven, Real Madrid.

By topping the group, our potential opponents are much easier than when we're 2nd and the teams could possibly even be a class lower. Although on our day, we could beat anyone, you must agree that almost every Pot 1 team are teams to avoid. So take your pick.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:12 pm

Don't underestimate Rangers mate, they'll be well up for it if we meet them. In saying that, we are more than capable of beating anyone of those team's, but Rangers are definitely the weakest team of the lot.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:23 pm

Good compilation Militia. I'd say Werder Bremen would be my choice to be the easiest. I also don't want a walk over team first up as it can lull the team into a false sense of security.

The other thing in the compilation is about league form. Scousers know better than anyone that domestic league form doesn't necessarily translate to European form.

I would like Liverpool to face Benfica first up, to give us a challenge.

Also adding to PSV, they have a gun coach in Guus Hiddink. Just got Australia qualification into the World Cup finals and took South Korea to new heights all while doing this part-time.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC_fan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:25 pm

i for one, will be happy to draw Bayern Munich. True, they are the hardest opponents we can draw for the first knock out stage but what a tie that would be. I dont mind Real Madrid either. cant wait to see Sissoko tackle Beckham from behind.

Dun underestimate Rangers, though they are the weakest team on paper, but it'll have the feel of a 'derby' match and those are never easy.

However, by topping our group, we have advoided Barca and Lyon. Though we dun fear anyone and can beat any team on our day, its best not to cross swords with these 2 teams too early. Maybe let Chelsea draw Lyon or Barca (Im sure Barca fans are itching to draw Chelsea).

Barcalona is a team with flair throughout and even with Xavi out for the next 5-6 mths, they still pocess gifted playes like Deco and Messi, not forgetting the best player in the world atm, Ronaldinho. As for Lyon, i think any English side playing them will face loads of problems. Their style is based on speed and direct passing, which to a certain extent coinsides with the english game but they bring another dimension into the game that all english teams will be hard pressed to cope with and that is their movement off the ball. Lyon is a soild team and Houllier was lucky to inherit a strong team from the beginning.

In conclusion, my dream draw for us will be either Real or Bayern (even though they may be tough, i believe we have the ability to overcome them) Those will be smashing ties. If not, i wont mind a 'Battle of Britian' with Rangers or a draw with Werder Brehem. Dont really wanna meet PSV, Benfica or Ajax.
LFC_fan

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm

LFC_fan wrote:i for one, will be happy to draw Bayern Munich. True, they are the hardest opponents we can draw for the first knock out stage but what a tie that would be. I dont mind Real Madrid either. cant wait to see Sissoko tackle Beckham from behind.

Dun underestimate Rangers, though they are the weakest team on paper, but it'll have the feel of a 'derby' match and those are never easy.

However, by topping our group, we have advoided Barca and Lyon. Though we dun fear anyone and can beat any team on our day, its best not to cross swords with these 2 teams too early. Maybe let Chelsea draw Lyon or Barca (Im sure Barca fans are itching to draw Chelsea).

Barcalona is a team with flair throughout and even with Xavi out for the next 5-6 mths, they still pocess gifted playes like Deco and Messi, not forgetting the best player in the world atm, Ronaldinho. As for Lyon, i think any English side playing them will face loads of problems. Their style is based on speed and direct passing, which to a certain extent coinsides with the english game but they bring another dimension into the game that all english teams will be hard pressed to cope with and that is their movement off the ball. Lyon is a soild team and Houllier was lucky to inherit a strong team from the beginning.

In conclusion, my dream draw for us will be either Real or Bayern (even though they may be tough, i believe we have the ability to overcome them) Those will be smashing ties. If not, i wont mind a 'Battle of Britian' with Rangers or a draw with Werder Brehem. Dont really wanna meet PSV, Benfica or Ajax.

Like I said, nothing at this stage of the tournament would be a walkover, even if we get the easiest of ties (i.e Rangers).

Very true though, I wouldn't want to meet such strong European opponents so early into the tournament, we might as well ease our way into the Quarter Finals before we actually meet quality opposition. That said, I wouldn't really fancy a crack at Real Madrid/Bayern Munich as they are after all the stronger teams in the Pot.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Would love to play Rangers next round.

Due to the England Scotland factor it would be tougher than most people thing probably, but we would definately have far too much to lose over 2 legs to them.

The atmosphere in the games would be brilliant as well.

But if not....i seriously wouldnt mind Real Madrid, we would be away first leg and have the players and manager that are tactically clever enough to keep it tight and slip away without defeat.
Bring them back to the cauldron of Anfield with the crowd behind us and i am convinced we would get a similar result to the Juventus one.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:32 pm

LFC_fan wrote:i for one, will be happy to draw Bayern Munich. True, they are the hardest opponents we can draw for the first knock out stage but what a tie that would be. I dont mind Real Madrid either. cant wait to see Sissoko tackle Beckham from behind.

I think its a good idea to start with a strong team. Makes sure the players don't lapse. Higher ticketing revenue for the club as well.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 pm

AussieKopite wrote:The other thing in the compilation is about league form. Scousers know better than anyone that domestic league form doesn't necessarily translate to European form.

True, but how a team fares in their domestic league would surely indicate the general quality of the team, won't it?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:37 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:The other thing in the compilation is about league form. Scousers know better than anyone that domestic league form doesn't necessarily translate to European form.

True, but how a team fares in their domestic league would surely indicate the general quality of the team, won't it?

Yes and no. Liverpool were fifth in the league last season when they beat AC Milan behind Chelsea (we knocked out in semis), Arsenal 9don't know where they went) (Manchester United (ditto), and European giants Everton (knocked out of two European comps in one month this season).

League form plays a role, but a team like Aax with a strong European history could rise to the occasion if the coach says the right things as well.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:55 pm

AussieKopite wrote:
MilitiaRusher wrote:

Yes and no. Liverpool were fifth in the league last season when they beat AC Milan behind Chelsea (we knocked out in semis), Arsenal 9don't know where they went) (Manchester United (ditto), and European giants Everton (knocked out of two European comps in one month this season).

League form plays a role, but a team like Aax with a strong European history could rise to the occasion if the coach says the right things as well.

Being honest Ajax are p@ss poor and benefitted from a shocking group, Benfica would be as easy imo as Leverkusen was last season.

Werder Bremen might be quite tricky and obvioulsy PSV have a decent pedigree, but there is no way i could see us losing to any of these sides.

I wouldnt fancy playing Bayern Munich tbh they would be pretty well organised and have matchwinners in Ballack Maakay and Diesler.

Obviously Real would look difficult on paper but i would be confident.

Not that i am underestimating these teams, i just thing Rafa is clever enough tactically over 2 legs against even the best....and most of these do not fall into that bracket.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:00 pm

I really think that Real Madrid are there for the taking. Defensively, they are poor and play a converted midfielder at CB, their supposed star signing, Robinho is struggling and overall, are going through a difficult spell with their manager sacked and have the fans on their backs.

Real Madrid are a v.attacking team who imo have a 'globetrotter' mentality with their so-called galacticos. Liverpool on the other hand, almost like Valencia was, are a team built on a solid defence with the ability to break with the enterprising runs of Steven Gerrard and the swift passing of Xabi Alonso. With former Barca player, Luis Garcia in the fold, this match would prove to be a mouth-watering prospect.

In the end, If this match was drawn, I believe that Liverpool will punish real madrid if they go forward too much.
Last edited by wrighty (not mark!) on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Not sure why anyone would want us to draw Bayern, for me they are by far the toughest opposition in that list.

When is the draw?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:08 pm

the draw is next friday, dont care who we get me, to be the best u have to beat the best,
kopite_1232002

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:10 pm

I would like to avoid Bayern and PSV at the moment (hope someone else takes them out). But i agree that we should beat Real. That is the tie i am looking for, beating them would give us the right momentum for the rest of the competition.

God i'd love to see Chelsea draw Barcelona. Fingers crossed.   :devil:
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:25 pm

Im pretty sure none of them teams will want to draw us
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion