Potential new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Mikz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 pm wrote:
leeroy74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:48 pm wrote:can't believe most LFC fans are creaming their pants over Klopp? is he really any better than what we've just sacked?

I totally agree, i dont think Klopp is what we need right now, its a huge risk - play safe with Ancellotti !

Ancelotti would probably on come on board short term (1-2 years) which can be just as damaging.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Theres no comparison between Ancelotti and Klopp as far as I'm concerned (Ironic cause I've done as detailed a comparison as I could below). Just look at the CV, record, and transfers of both. The safe option is definitely Ancelotti; he'd also be the statement of intent FSG need to put out after a string of bad calls.

CV:

Carlo: Parma, Juve, Milan, Chelsea PSG, R.Madrid (experience in England; continental experience)
Klopp: Mainz, Dortmund

Record:

Ancelotti: 3 champions leagues, 3 eufa cups, 2 fifa club world cup, and league titles in England, France, Italy, and Spain + many domestic cups.
Klopp: 2 league titles.

Note: Ancelotti doesnt have bad seasons does he; You could make a case for him having a better record than any manager in world football today! Got a standing ovation from Madrid fans and the media when he was sacked. Says something about how highly they thought of him at the best club in the world a few months ago. Klopp is almost universally loved by fans and media for the character he is.

Transfers:

Ancelotti: Bought more world class players than any manager in world football. And he's done it consistently over 20 years. Hardly signs a flop:

1996        (Manager of Parma. His second season as a manager anywhere ; 1st in the top flight)

Signs: Thuram, Crespo, Chiesa [total spent: 4.45mill]
All 3 of them combined cost less than 3.5mill pounds. 2 of the best forwards in the recent history of Serie A and one of the best defenders in football history. Went on to finish 2nd in the league only losing the title to Juve by 2 points after Juve snatched a draw from a controversial penalty.

1997        (Second Season at Parma)

Signs: Blomqvist, Fiore [total spent: 4.48mill]

1998        (joins struggling Juve in Feb, gets them to CL semis)

1999        (first full season at Juve)

Signs: Van Der Sar, Kovacevic, Zambrotta, Tudor, Maresca [total spent: 27mill]
Loses title on final day by a point after defeat.

Signs: Trezeguet (16mill)

Jan 2001-2009 Milan

Signs: Nesta (21mill) , Seedorf (15mill), Rivaldo (free) , Kaka (5.7mill), Cafe (free), Stam (7mill) , Ronaldo (5mill) , Pato (15mill) , Ronaldinho (17mill) , Thiago Silva (7mill) , Gilardino (17.5mill*)

2009-2011 Chelsea

Signs: Sturridge (5mill), Matic (1.2mill) , Torres (50mill*), David Luiz (17.5mill), Ramirez (15mill)

Jan 2011-2013 PSG

Signs: Thiaggo Motta (8mill) , Maxwell (2mill) , Thiago Silva (29mill) , Lucas Moura (28mill) , Lavezzi (20mill) , Zlatan (14mill) , Veratti (8mill) , Beckham (free)

2013 -2015

Signs: Bale (80mill) , Illaramendi (22mill) , Isco (21mill) , Carvajal (4mill) , James Rod (56mill) , Toni Kroos (21mill) , Keylor Navas (7mill)

I have included all players signed for over 15mill (Zhirkov at 14.5 is also an Abramovic flop), Gilardino and Torres are the only 2 big money flops I found. Gilardino scored 17 and 12 LEAGUE goals in his first 2 seasons at Milan, spent his 3rd season mostly at the bench scoring 7 before leaving at the end of the season; he contributed to them reaching the CL final in 2007 which they won against us.

Klopp:

2008: Subotic
2009: Hummels, Bender
2010: Lewandowski, Kagawa
2011: Gundogan
2012: Reus
2013: Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang
2014: Immobile (flopped)

Note: Klopp knows the German market and has had success buying lower reputation players domestically at low cost. Ancelotti's experience across different leagues and his reputation would be a big draw in the transfer market.

Tactics:

Ancelotti: Changes formation based on the side he manages. Played a 4-4-2 diamond in most games with title winning Chelsea when they had Anelka-Drogba leading the line. 4-3-3 with Madrid.
Klopp: Has almost exclusively played 4-2-3-1 with Dortmund over the past 5 years.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Mikz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:10 pm wrote:
leeroy74 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:48 pm wrote:can't believe most LFC fans are creaming their pants over Klopp? is he really any better than what we've just sacked?

I totally agree, i dont think Klopp is what we need right now, its a huge risk - play safe with Ancellotti !

Ancelotti is actually more of a risk than Klopp!
Carlo has spent the past decade managing the richest club in England, the richest club in France and the richest club in Spain, in fact he hasn't managed an underdog type club since he left Parma in 1998 (nearly 20 years ago).
Btw he has only won 3 league titles as well, Klopp has won 2 with a fraction of the resources.
People go on about Klopp's poor last season at Dortmund but let's not forget they did rally to finish 7th, they also got through a tough group to the last 16 of the CL and reached the German cup final as well, yes not great but hardly disasterous especially when you consider that in every one of the previous 5 seasons he had to sell his best player and make a transfer surplus!
Imo it's a case of horses for courses, if we were a petro-dollar club then Ancelotti would be our man but in the position we are in Klopp looks tailor made for us.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:02 pm

aCe' » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:51 pm wrote:Theres no comparison between Ancelotti and Klopp as far as I'm concerned (Ironic cause I've done as detailed a comparison as I could below). Just look at the CV, record, and transfers of both. The safe option is definitely Ancelotti; he'd also be the statement of intent FSG need to put out after a string of bad calls.

CV:

Carlo: Parma, Juve, Milan, Chelsea PSG, R.Madrid (experience in England; continental experience)
Klopp: Mainz, Dortmund

Record:

Ancelotti: 3 champions leagues, 3 eufa cups, 2 fifa club world cup, and league titles in England, France, Italy, and Spain + many domestic cups.
Klopp: 2 league titles.

Note: Ancelotti doesnt have bad seasons does he; You could make a case for him having a better record than any manager in world football today! Got a standing ovation from Madrid fans and the media when he was sacked. Says something about how highly they thought of him at the best club in the world a few months ago. Klopp is almost universally loved by fans and media for the character he is.

Transfers:

Ancelotti: Bought more world class players than any manager in world football. And he's done it consistently over 20 years. Hardly signs a flop:

1996        (Manager of Parma. His second season as a manager anywhere ; 1st in the top flight)

Signs: Thuram, Crespo, Chiesa [total spent: 4.45mill]
All 3 of them combined cost less than 3.5mill pounds. 2 of the best forwards in the recent history of Serie A and one of the best defenders in football history. Went on to finish 2nd in the league only losing the title to Juve by 2 points after Juve snatched a draw from a controversial penalty.

1997        (Second Season at Parma)

Signs: Blomqvist, Fiore [total spent: 4.48mill]

1998        (joins struggling Juve in Feb, gets them to CL semis)

1999        (first full season at Juve)

Signs: Van Der Sar, Kovacevic, Zambrotta, Tudor, Maresca [total spent: 27mill]
Loses title on final day by a point after defeat.

Signs: Trezeguet (16mill)

Jan 2001-2009 Milan

Signs: Nesta (21mill) , Seedorf (15mill), Rivaldo (free) , Kaka (5.7mill), Cafe (free), Stam (7mill) , Ronaldo (5mill) , Pato (15mill) , Ronaldinho (17mill) , Thiago Silva (7mill) , Gilardino (17.5mill*)

2009-2011 Chelsea

Signs: Sturridge (5mill), Matic (1.2mill) , Torres (50mill*), David Luiz (17.5mill), Ramirez (15mill)

Jan 2011-2013 PSG

Signs: Thiaggo Motta (8mill) , Maxwell (2mill) , Thiago Silva (29mill) , Lucas Moura (28mill) , Lavezzi (20mill) , Zlatan (14mill) , Veratti (8mill) , Beckham (free)

2013 -2015

Signs: Bale (80mill) , Illaramendi (22mill) , Isco (21mill) , Carvajal (4mill) , James Rod (56mill) , Toni Kroos (21mill) , Keylor Navas (7mill)

I have included all players signed for over 15mill (Zhirkov at 14.5 is also an Abramovic flop), Gilardino and Torres are the only 2 big money flops I found. Gilardino scored 17 and 12 LEAGUE goals in his first 2 seasons at Milan, spent his 3rd season mostly at the bench scoring 7 before leaving at the end of the season; he contributed to them reaching the CL final in 2007 which they won against us.

Klopp:

2008: Subotic
2009: Hummels, Bender
2010: Lewandowski, Kagawa
2011: Gundogan
2012: Reus
2013: Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang
2014: Immobile (flopped)

Note: Klopp knows the German market and has had success buying lower reputation players domestically at low cost. Ancelotti's experience across different leagues and his reputation would be a big draw in the transfer market.

Tactics:

Ancelotti: Changes formation based on the side he manages. Played a 4-4-2 diamond in most games with title winning Chelsea when they had Anelka-Drogba leading the line. 4-3-3 with Madrid.
Klopp: Has almost exclusively played 4-2-3-1 with Dortmund over the past 5 years.

I don't think anyones making any comparisons. As fans we don't have a say, but we can make a noise.
It's simply a case of who is best to carry LFC forward and beyond.
Who that ends up being; we'll just have to wait and see...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm wrote:
Mikz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:10 pm wrote:

Ancelotti is actually more of a risk than Klopp!
Carlo has spent the past decade managing the richest club in England, the richest club in France and the richest club in Spain, in fact he hasn't managed an underdog type club since he left Parma in 1998 (nearly 20 years ago).
Btw he has only won 3 league titles as well, Klopp has won 2 with a fraction of the resources.
People go on about Klopp's poor last season at Dortmund but let's not forget they did rally to finish 7th, they also got through a tough group to the last 16 of the CL and reached the German cup final as well, yes not great but hardly disasterous especially when you consider that in every one of the previous 5 seasons he had to sell his best player and make a transfer surplus!
Imo it's a case of horses for courses, if we were a petro-dollar club then Ancelotti would be our man but in the position we are in Klopp looks tailor made for us.

:nod
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 pm

I've been talking to Liverpool fans today who are crying out for Jurgen Klopp to take over at Anfield.  Aside from the 2013 champions league final i'm pretty sure they've hardly seen a Klopp managed team play.  Also,  I reckon Gary McAllister can make a great contribution to our future.  I hope he doesn't get caught in the cross-fire with the change of management and I sincerely hope a role is found for him at the club regardless of who takes over.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:03 pm

I will put my hand up and admit I never seen any more than 3 games or so of dortmund and they would have been all in the CL. They were a decent side under him and most importantly won stuff which is what we need now. It is a big step up for him with it being a new league and more competitive than what he has known but he has earned a move to a top club imo and we could do much worse.

I think Ancellotti would be a brilliant move myself but the weight on his shoulders would be heavier than Klopps as he would be expected to deliver sooner. He has won this league before which is a bonus and also as ace pointed out brought through some quality players. With him we would attract a higher calibre than what we are currently attracting. He would seriously consider coming here if approached imo.

FSG need to get this right. I would like to see them return to what they wanted to do before giving it to rodgers. An up and coming manager alongside an experienced DOF. They were aiming along the right lines with van gaal then with rodgers so a wise move on their part would be to get Ancellotti as DOF and klopp managing the team. This role might be more attractive to carlo and at least we would have a good football man on board. There is no point in bringing another manager into whatever system is currently operating.

I will be totally sick if we end up with Di Matteo or that walter mitty fella  :nod
Aim for the Sky and you will hit the ceiling  :nod Aim for the ceiling and you will stay on the floor  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 pm

For me Klopps as exciting a prospect in managerial terms since Dalglish was first given the job as player manager.

Think Koppites will break the internet if it goes through.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm

One things for sure and that's Klopp is highly charged, motivated and competitive - which I feel is great for us.

Not so long ago Gordon Strachan was on the box speaking highly about Klopp and his training methods and stated that Agents representing players in the Premiership (hopefully in this case Liverpool players) will SH!T it once they learn Klopp is coming. He demands and commands his players to run through the brick wall upon their return from climbing the barbed wire  :nod Doesn't take any SH!T from agents who want to protect their precious'

That being said, his teams aren't dirty and play hard but fair which is also what we require.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:22 pm

parchpea » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 pm wrote:For me Klopps as exciting a prospect in managerial terms since Dalglish was first given the job as player manager.

Think Koppites will break the internet if it goes through.

I think I will go flipping, barking mad  :buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:51 pm

johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:21 pm wrote:One things for sure and that's Klopp is highly charged, motivated and competitive - which I feel is great for us.

Not so long ago Gordon Strachan was on the box speaking highly about Klopp and his training methods and stated that Agents representing players in the Premiership (hopefully in this case Liverpool players) will SH!T it once they learn Klopp is coming. He demands and commands his players to run through the brick wall upon their return from climbing the barbed wire  :nod Doesn't take any SH!T from agents who want to protect their precious'

That being said, his teams aren't dirty and play hard but fair which is also what we require.

Was speaking to a German acquaintance of mine today whose a big footy fan in general.  He says Klopp is very similar in terms of footballing philosophy to Pochettino at Tottenham but has the charisma and charm.

Wants his teams to be at full throttle for the whole 90 mins and to take the game to the opponent.  Fitness is a big thing for him and training sessions are very tough but results show in games.
Doeboy

Postby laza » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Websites are starting to make noises about LFC holding talks with Klopp this week
So hold onto that Internet

Have to agree with Yakka, in our current situation Klopp seems to be the better fit
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm

It will be Klopp. Will be announced by Thursday-Friday i suspect. Weekend at the very latest
Doeboy

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Doeboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm wrote:It will be Klopp. Will be announced by Thursday-Friday i suspect. Weekend at the very latest

I say finalised by Friday, announced a week today (Mon) - I can live with it being Fri / Sat tho...  :D
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm

I just love Klopps character, mentality and style. Reason why his more suited to us is because we are no City, Mannure or Chelsea. He will be able to work with FSG budget. You have to remember FSG inject money via selling players aswel. Net spend says it all.
Ancellotti is more suited with the top teams.
For us to get anywhere near competing consistently will take time. Klopp is more suited..

Btw redcafe are desperate we don't get Klopp lol.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion