MARTIN SKRTEL - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I thought he was pretty good vs Saints. He makes mistakes yes, but I'm not sure I'd want to be up against him when he's in the mood. Taking into account how easily oppositions break through our midfield, a clean sheet was well earned.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:50 pm

He was due a decent game and always has the odd one here and there... To be honest though there was a typical Skrtel moment in the match from which they hit the post where he should have gone with his head instead of his foot. One decent game every five doesn't make up for the gash he always serves up in between and the basic errors he makes.

No coincidence that Agger comes back into the side, plays well and we actually keep a clean sheet though. Had a decent game.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:50 pm wrote:He was due a decent game and always has the odd one here and there... To be honest though there was a typical Skrtel moment in the match from which they hit the post where he should have gone with his head instead of his foot. One decent game every five doesn't make up for the gash he always serves up in between and the basic errors he makes.

No coincidence that Agger comes back into the side, plays well and we actually keep a clean sheet though. Had a decent game.

Hopefully Agger can stay fit for longer than twenty minutes and take some of the pressure off Skrtel.
Last edited by devaney on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 pm

RedAnt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:16 pm wrote:Taking into account how easily oppositions break through our midfield, a clean sheet was well earned.

I'm amazed we kept 1 clean sheet. Agger starting instead of a suicidal Toure helped out a great deal.
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Thought Skrtel and Sakho were great today against Carroll, the one time Andy managed to get a decent header in (where he hit the bar) he was jumping against Johnson. They really stood up to be counted, for once it was our front four who misfired today and not our back 4.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 am

He has done well overall this season. Did really well against Carroll yesterday and we'll need him to have another big game against City. If he maintains his form for the last 5 games we'll have a good chance.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Another excellent game against City and a brilliant goal as well. He has his moments but recently he has been right on it.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Remember when most of our fans wanted to get rid? Good times those.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm

St Michael what planet are you on? We've conceded more goals than palace and hull for f*ck sake. We could be the first team ever to win a title with a shocking defence. One thing is for sure. If dont win it, it won't be due to the forwards
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm wrote:St Michael what planet are you on? We've conceded more goals than palace and hull for f*ck sake. We could be the first team ever to win a title with a shocking defence. One thing is for sure. If dont win it, it won't be due to the forwards

Looks like we are going to score 100 goals for the season, it is just the way we play. To single out Skrtel as the reason is laughable. Mistakes have been made defensively throughout the team all season, if you want to split hairs all are guilty including Gerrard. Despite or " shocking defence" we still have a goal diff of 51 ( second to City that spent half a billion pounds). 

Skrtel is much better as a defender than you give credit, including he scored more goals than Torres (a 50 million squid striker) this season. It is not rose tinted glasses Stu, it's clarity and a desire to enjoy the ride rather than duelling on the negative.

All neutrals want us to win as we are the most entertaining team in Europe, why can you not give those players that were a huge part of the journey a break. It is about the ride stu not the destination. Let's say we do not win, I would rather have enjoyed the ride than assumed it was all going to collapse. Now let's say we do win it  :buttrock  I would rather have enjoyed the ride rather than assumed it was all going to collapse ( we need a yoga smiley).

Stu repeat after me " WOOSA"
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 am

Stu - you're an idiot  :laugh: yes Skrtel and Sturridge both make mistakes but their overall contributions this season have helped us to be top of the league. Lucas before his injury also played his part. I suggested in another thread that you were deluded now I'm really beginning to wonder if you really have been anywhere near a football pitch. To suggest that our defence is shocking really is more than a little silly. They are not as good as our amazing attack but then that is nothing to be ashamed of. Goal difference is the most important statistic and just take a look at ours !! Don't know what you look at sometimes mate. These are times to enjoy and you behave like a right WUM. YOU DEFEND LUIS TO THE HILT AND YET YOU CRITICISE SKRTEL WHO SCORES A BRILLIANT GOAL  :eyebrow To suggest in the Team Ratings thread that he had a shocking second half was unbelievable even by your standards. He was not as good as he was in the first half but shocking he certainly wasn't.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm wrote:St Michael what planet are you on? We've conceded more goals than palace and hull for f*ck sake. We could be the first team ever to win a title with a shocking defence. One thing is for sure. If dont win it, it won't be due to the forwards

Those teams are run by 2 managers who's entire philosophy is based around being hard to beat, to be fair to our defenders they are playing for the most attack minded side in the division, Skrtel, Agger and Sakho don't have the luxury of banks of defence minded players in front of them.
Look at yesterday's game, for large parts of the second half City's players were allowed to carry the ball right to the edge of our box before one of our CM's would go out to engage them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:33 pm

I know where Stu's coming from.

On goals scored we've got the best attack in the league but on goals conceded we're 7th (?). Man City have the 2nd best attack and the 3rd best defence.

Whilst describing our defence as "shocking" may be a tad over the top (although at times it has been) I find it hard to argue with anyone that says defensively we're just not good enough.

We all know that it's our attacking players performance this season that has brought us this far, without them we'd be scrambling to even make the Europa league.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:33 pm wrote:I know where Stu's coming from.

On goals scored we've got the best attack in the league but on goals conceded we're 7th (?). Man City have the 2nd best attack and the 3rd best defence.

Whilst describing our defence as "shocking" may be a tad over the top (although at times it has been) I find it hard to argue with anyone that says defensively we're just not good enough.

We all know that it's our attacking players performance this season that has brought us this far, without them we'd be scrambling to even make the Europa league.

I think it's too easy just to blame our CB's though, City's defence has the best midfield in the country in front of it, it's not often the likes of Toure and Fernandinho fall right back into their own area and play almost as auxiliary CB's which our midfielders have done a lot this season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:33 pm wrote:I know where Stu's coming from.

I think it's too easy just to blame our CB's though, City's defence has the best midfield in the country in front of it, it's not often the likes of Toure and Fernandinho fall right back into their own area and play almost as auxiliary CB's which our midfielders have done a lot this season.

Fair comment, Toure and Fernandinho are outstanding midfielders and obviously offer massive protection in front of their defence BUT maybe they don't have to fall back and play as auxiliary CB's because even when the midfield's breached the fellas behind them (including the GK btw) are superior to most other defensive units.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion