Martin skrtel at right back... - Inspiration or insanity?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

To me it's selections like this one which are the problems I have with "styling" perfectly illustrated. Obviously Arbeloa is injured, and no doubt Deggan is as well, so we play Carra there right, since he's played there many times for us before?

Er, no actually. We decide to move Skyrtel out there for his debut in the right back slot in a Liverpool shirt. I'm guessing the reason was because Skyrtel has more pace than carra, and would be better suited to playing against Downing? Now I haven't seen the game, but by all accounts it didn't really work. I must confess here as well that as I never said it before the match, I am speaking after the event here. I would though ask people to take it on trust, that had I been here before the match and someone told me that Skyrtel was going to be playing right back, I would have said it was ridiculous.

Too clever by half for me. Needless, silly tinkering. It's not FIFA foorball manager 07/08, it's real life. Benayoun and Riera don't need to rest because they played on Wednesday, and Stuart Downing isn't good enough to warrant completely changing your set up. When will we ever learn, or more to the point, will we ever learn?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

:D

Im off for a few wines.
Will enjoy reading this in work tomorrow.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:44 pm

No inspiration, no insanity, but a big mistake.

We have seen about a dozen of times situations in which it was more than obvious he didn't know to play the position.

We've seen Carra despairing when he had the ball and Skrtel approached instead of running and give him space.

It's been a mess, and it's been a mistake because it failed blatantly.

Unlike the Aurelio at CM experiment that did work, and thus, was not a big mistake, this has been a mistake. A mistake of Rafa.

No discussion on that front from me.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:46 pm

I saw Skrtel better on the right than Carragher.

The problem of today was not the Rafa´s eleven, the problem is that there are many players not good enough.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm

bigmick wrote:To me it's selections like this one which are the problems I have with "styling" perfectly illustrated. Obviously Arbeloa is injured, and no doubt Deggan is as well, so we play Carra there right, since he's played there many times for us before?

Er, no actually. We decide to move Skyrtel out there for his debut in the right back slot in a Liverpool shirt. I'm guessing the reason was because Skyrtel has more pace than carra, and would be better suited to playing against Downing? Now I haven't seen the game, but by all accounts it didn't really work. I must confess here as well that as I never said it before the match, I am speaking after the event here. I would though ask people to take it on trust, that had I been here before the match and someone told me that Skyrtel was going to be playing right back, I would have said it was ridiculous.

Too clever by half for me. Needless, silly tinkering. It's not FIFA foorball manager 07/08, it's real life. Benayoun and Riera don't need to rest because they played on Wednesday, and Stuart Downing isn't good enough to warrant completely changing your set up. When will we ever learn, or more to the point, will we ever learn?

One other question that might be asked mate. It was obvious from early on that it wasn't working. Why wait till we are 2-0 down and the famous 60 minute mark has passed before doing something about it? Surely it would have been much simpler to pass a message to Carra and Skrtel to swop places.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Better than Carra? :O How mate?

Skrtl effort there in my view was abissmal and I'd swear Boro made us harm from that wing.

What did you like of Skrtel today?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Effes wrote: :D

Im off for a few wines.

Get yeh self down to yeatsys an have a few aussie whites numbs the pain :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

I think it was just a mistake by Rafa, he tried it and it did not work, in trurh its not what cost us the win. What cost us the win was not having a striker as we did not buy one when we had the chance.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Well, I saw the game and I'm here to tell you it was a very poor decision.  Skrtel looked very much like a deer in the headlights at times at both ends of the pitch and, on top of it all, Carragher didn't have a spectacular game at CB either...perhaps because he had to worry how Skrtel was doing beside him.

If we broaden this out the other selection question marks, El Zhar was very poor at RM--running into traffic all the time, choosing the wrong option, bolloxing up a short corner with an offside and, the pick of the bunch, missing an absolute sitter when we were down 1-0 and needed a way back into the match.  Terrible performance, made all the worse by the fact that we had an in form Benayoun sitting on the bench as a result of his selection.  Over on the other side of the pitch we added another chapter to "Flattering to Deceive: The Ryan Babel Story."  Like El Zhar, he spent more time turning into trouble and selecting the wrong option than he did keeping possession and giving Boro something to think about.  Three very poor selections that contributed to a very, very poor performance--the worst I've seen from us in the league in a couple of seasons.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Effes wrote::D

Im off for a few wines.

Get yeh self down to yeatsys an have a few aussie whites numbs the pain :nod

:laugh:
Ive been barred and boo'd out of Yates's (Moorfields) for pucking up over the bar.
Dont touch the stuff now  :D
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm

I say the game as well and what he was thinking putting Skrtel there up against Downing who was there best player I will never know. Downing had a field day against him and ended up man of the match
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:57 pm

It isnt the first time Rafa has played someone out of position and im sure it wont be the last. (or will it? ??? :D )
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Dundalk wrote:I say the game as well and what he was thinking putting Skrtel there up against Downing who was there best player I will never know. Downing had a field day against him and ended up man of the match

The Setanta announcers were talking about Skrtel playing RB before the match, when they posted up the lineups and, in truth, I thought they'd lost the plot.  Surely Carra was going to be over on the flank?  The match starts and, sure enough, they're right--it's Skrtel.  They speculated that it had to do with Carra not being able to keep pace with Downing.  Now, I know Downing's probably a bit quicker than many give him credit for but he's no pace merchant and (surely someone can back me up on this) Carra must have gone up against pacier wingers when Arbeloa was hurt last month?  Besides, I've only ever seen Carra skinned for pace once--by Henry.  The lad's just too good at reading the game and positioning himself accordingly.  Utterly daft decision.  :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Dundalk wrote:I say the game as well and what he was thinking putting Skrtel there up against Downing who was there best player I will never know. Downing had a field day against him and ended up man of the match

The Setanta announcers were talking about Skrtel playing RB before the match, when they posted up the lineups and, in truth, I thought they'd lost the plot.  Surely Carra was going to be over on the flank?  The match starts and, sure enough, they're right--it's Skrtel.  They speculated that it had to do with Carra not being able to keep pace with Downing.  Now, I know Downing's probably a bit quicker than many give him credit for but he's no pace merchant and (surely someone can back me up on this) Carra must have gone up against pacier wingers when Arbeloa was hurt last month?  Besides, I've only ever seen Carra skinned for pace once--by Henry.  The lad's just too good at reading the game and positioning himself accordingly.  Utterly daft decision.  :no

To be fair, Skrtel did well at full back in practice......... Kuyt didn't get past him once    :D

Everyone feels much more comfortable calling Kuyt  :D
account deleted by request

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Alex G. wrote:I saw Skrtel better on the right than Carragher.

The problem of today was not the Rafa´s eleven, the problem is that there are many players not good enough.

And who recruited these not to good players?

Lets not kid ourselves;
Rafa would fk up if we had the best squad in the prem  :angry:

I for one dont want another 4 years of this :censored:!
teamleader1

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion