Martin skrtel at right back... - Inspiration or insanity?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:50 pm

john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:What kind of mentality must someone have to get rid of Bellamy, Crouch and Keane, all proven premier and international strikers, to have kuyt, babel and Ngog as back up strikers when Torres is injured?

Not a very sensible way to look at it imo.  Crouch, Bellamy and Keane are all good players, but they're not great players, none of them would be in our strongest XI even now, and crucially all of them rate themselves higher than they probably should, meaning none of them are happy to spend a lot of time on the bench.  None of them would (or did) stay here for any length of time when they weren't getting enough minutes.  Apart from the timing of getting rid of Keane, getting rid of them all was probably the right thing to do.

I disagree
I think it is very sensible to point out that we are knackered without Torres
Due to the getting rid of Keane specifically we now only have the chuckle brothers plus one as our strike force.
I would like you to explain how getting rid of one of the best forwards in the prem was the right thing to do?

I would like you to explain how comparing Bellamy and Crouch (two players who wanted to leave due to lack of game time) to Ngog, Kuyt or Babel is helpful?

Helpful to who?

They are our current useless strike force.
The others used to be our strike force and crouch in particular was leading goalscorer the season before Torres came
I admit I wasnt too fussy on Bellamy but he is still doing the business in the prem

Keane was badly treated in mine and many others eyes.
So Ill ask you again
Could you explain how getting rid of one of the best forwards in the prem was the right thing to do?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:What kind of mentality must someone have to get rid of Bellamy, Crouch and Keane, all proven premier and international strikers, to have kuyt, babel and Ngog as back up strikers when Torres is injured?

Not a very sensible way to look at it imo.  Crouch, Bellamy and Keane are all good players, but they're not great players, none of them would be in our strongest XI even now, and crucially all of them rate themselves higher than they probably should, meaning none of them are happy to spend a lot of time on the bench.  None of them would (or did) stay here for any length of time when they weren't getting enough minutes.  Apart from the timing of getting rid of Keane, getting rid of them all was probably the right thing to do.

I disagree
Due to the getting rid of Keane specifically we now only have the chuckle brothers plus one as our strike force.
I would like you to explain how getting rid of one of the best forwards in the prem was the right thing to do?

I would like you to explain how comparing Bellamy and Crouch (two players who wanted to leave due to lack of game time) to Ngog, Kuyt or Babel is helpful?

Helpful to who?

The others used to be our strike force and crouch in particular was leading goalscorer the season before Torres came
I admit I wasnt too fussy on Bellamy but he is still doing the business in the prem

So Ill ask you again
Could you explain how getting rid of one of the best forwards in the prem was the right thing to do?

Getting rid of him was the right thing to do, but not in January.  Read my initial post properly where I clearly stated that I didn't agree with the timing of it.  Ideally I'd have waited til the end of the season, because common sense says that you can't win the league with one decent striker on your books.

To be honest 'one of the best forwards in the Prem' is pushing it.  He had one very good goalscoring season last year but otherwise his record's just decent.  He is a good player nothing more, and certainly never 20 millions worth.

Just out of interest, how many goals has one of the best forwards in the Prem scored since going back to Spurs?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 am

john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
john craig wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
john craig wrote:

I disagree

Helpful to who?

So Ill ask you again

Getting rid of him was the right thing to do, but not in January.  Read my initial post properly where I clearly stated that I didn't agree with the timing of it.  Ideally I'd have waited til the end of the season, because common sense says that you can't win the league with one decent striker on your books.

To be honest 'one of the best forwards in the Prem' is pushing it.  He had one very good goalscoring season last year but otherwise his record's just decent.  He is a good player nothing more, and certainly never 20 millions worth.

Just out of interest, how many goals has one of the best forwards in the Prem scored since going back to Spurs?

No idea mate
I dont follow them
I am merely making the point that a seasoned pro like keane was exactly what we needed to challenge for the title. Since he was booted out we have slid down to third and are left with dross up front. I agree about his fee but thats par for the course for "non continental" players. By the way how much was Barry going to be?
Im not saying Keane was fantastic but "decent" is better than shi.t
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 am

So Rafa's totally ruined Keane's career as well now has he :D

Only joking John
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 am

s@int wrote:So Rafa's totally ruined Keane's career as well now has he :D

Only joking John

No :laugh:

But Spurs aren't getting back the same player they sold.  He doubts his ability now after what happened here.  I don't completely blame Benitez or Keane for what happened.  For various reasons it didn't work and now both their reputations are damaged because of it.
Last edited by JC_81 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 am

I blame it on the boogie
112-1077774096

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:06 am

The mentality of a manager who dose not have a clue, one who lost the plot ages ago, and one who thinks selling crouch,bellamy,keane.....and keeping kuyt,ngog,babel, (and El-Nahire) is a better option.A deluded manager clinging on to a sucessful run in the CL to keep him in a job.and fukk us up for another season. :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:08 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:

The mentality of a manager who dose not have a clue, one who lost the plot ages ago, and one who thinks selling crouch,bellamy,keane.....and keeping kuyt,ngog,babel, (and El-Nahire) is a better option.A deluded manager clinging on to a sucessful run in the CL to keep him in a job.and fukk us up for another season. :nod

I guess we'll put you down for a "go now" then mate shall we  :)
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 am

bigmick wrote:To me it's selections like this one which are the problems I have with "styling" perfectly illustrated. Obviously Arbeloa is injured, and no doubt Deggan is as well, so we play Carra there right, since he's played there many times for us before?

Er, no actually. We decide to move Skyrtel out there for his debut in the right back slot in a Liverpool shirt. I'm guessing the reason was because Skyrtel has more pace than carra, and would be better suited to playing against Downing? Now I haven't seen the game, but by all accounts it didn't really work. I must confess here as well that as I never said it before the match, I am speaking after the event here. I would though ask people to take it on trust, that had I been here before the match and someone told me that Skyrtel was going to be playing right back, I would have said it was ridiculous.

Too clever by half for me. Needless, silly tinkering. It's not FIFA foorball manager 07/08, it's real life. Benayoun and Riera don't need to rest because they played on Wednesday, and Stuart Downing isn't good enough to warrant completely changing your set up. When will we ever learn, or more to the point, will we ever learn?

I said it before the match as soon as i seen him put on right i was like o dear we gonna get beat here.

I also think it was mistake to to play formation I would have been happyer to see him go to 3 at back with El Zhar and Aurelio bombing down sides and put babel up front with kuyt but who am I to say any thing vrs the master of tactics Rafa.

End of day Rafa has prove if nothing he can't handle the pressure of managing a team going for title the way he handled him self once we sat at the top of table was nothing sort of crazy and I feel that effected the team , add that to his crazy team selection choices and I feel we have evidence that he can't cut it at this clob as he would put it.

I meen I find it alot easyer to feel sorry for the guy if he just come out now and agian and take some of the blame but he just lays it on the strikers all the time no wonder they ain't putting ball in net , or maybe they feel if they score they get droped next game.

Guy is just getting on me tits now I have had all I can take of him either change rafa or go ffs.  :angry:
Last edited by LegBarnes on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 am

bigmick wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:

I guess we'll put you down for a "go now" then mate shall we  :)

He "went ages ago" lad. :nod
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:19 am

Yes I must admit my impression is that once we hit the top of the table and stayed there for a bit, he allowed himself to get all carried away. He did seem to lose it a bit, and to be honest I don't think he's truly got it back yet. It's funny but Ferguson is normally by now engaging in mind games, but he's just gone schtum. He doesn't need to say anything at all, we've done it for him. I should think he might start getting into Chelsea a bit now Hiddink looks as if he's turned them around. As far as we are concerned though, he didn't even need to do anything, we did it for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am

bigmick wrote:Yes I must admit my impression is that once we hit the top of the table and stayed there for a bit, he allowed himself to get all carried away. He did seem to lose it a bit, and to be honest I don't think he's truly got it back yet. It's funny but Ferguson is normally by now engaging in mind games, but he's just gone schtum. He doesn't need to say anything at all, we've done it for him. I should think he might start getting into Chelsea a bit now Hiddink looks as if he's turned them around. As far as we are concerned though, he didn't even need to do anything, we did it for him.

Yep totaly true Rafa should have just kept his mount shut and like he always likes to say focus on football matters.

I hate it when he says that "I just fuc.kousing on football matters" Yeah rafa like hell you are thats why you keep airing ya contract talks in public cos you so worried about liverpool winning things ain't ya.

Any sort of bloke who knows our club and loves it would have done all that :censored: behind closed doors and not used media to get his own way.

This is what LFC is missing today "LOVE" I don't see many people in the club who love it nowa days and that is one of biggest problems I say bring back kenny at least we have a manager who will give our great club the "LOVE" it deserves !
Last edited by LegBarnes on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:27 am

bigmick wrote:Yes I must admit my impression is that once we hit the top of the table and stayed there for a bit, he allowed himself to get all carried away. He did seem to lose it a bit, and to be honest I don't think he's truly got it back yet. It's funny but Ferguson is normally by now engaging in mind games, but he's just gone schtum. He doesn't need to say anything at all, we've done it for him. I should think he might start getting into Chelsea a bit now Hiddink looks as if he's turned them around. As far as we are concerned though, he didn't even need to do anything, we did it for him.

Totally agree with you........Hail Rafa! the manager of LFC who hande their crown over to Manure utd enabling them to equqal our record of 18 league titles!......and he even gift wrapped it against Boro...."Hail THE Mighty Rafa". :bowdown
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 am

alrighty then.. i think we'r getting a little carried away here....

im no Rafa fan but surely yous lot are taking it a little too far...

and LB.... you sound like ur on something all the time lad.. :D

"I just fuc.kousing on football matters" .. that fckin cracked me up though gotta say...
Last edited by aCe' on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 am

aCe' wrote:alrighty then.. i think we'r getting a little carried away here....

im no Rafa fan but surely yous lot are taking it a little too far...

and LB.... you sound like ur on something all the time lad.. :D

"I just fuc.kousing on football matters" .. that fckin cracked me up though gotta say...

I am mate Since I found out I got ME doc stuck me on a drug like speed its funny enuff ACE haha.

I don't walk to shops any more I run and not just a canter I fecking gallop !
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion