LOSING THE FAITH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 am

Why does Brendan talk about signings if he has nothing to do with them? Shouldn't he let the committee speak for itself? Players like Joe Allen are clearly BR signings and had he become a world beater you can bet your ***** Rodgers would take credit. Now he's talking about Depay and others, but surely if he had no say then he would distance himself from the transfer side of things since he would stand to take the blame (ie Balotelli). I imagine BR has much more to do with transfers than some naive posters believe.
An unanswered question I keep asking: If BR wants full control and doesn't want to work with a DoF, then why would he agree to allow the committee to make the signings that could make or break him? Why not go to City, or Barcelona, or somewhere befitting a man of his quality? Maybe because none of them would have him?
I think BR's new ploy, the marquee signing thing is yet another smokescreen. Does anyone here think that if BR has £100m to spend and full control, he'd be brining in top players? My guess is that there aren't many "top" players would join him and we'd end up with more expensive potential. The next "Ronaldo" from Bulgaria or something.

*apologies. Posted in the wrong thread
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby andy c legs » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Yak Yak, youre not wrong in what you say. Last summer was a point in case. From the time I knew Luis was leaving, to the time the window shut I was expecting a quality, proven goalscorer to be signed. I mean, afterall, we had £75 mill burning an hole in our pocket. We could even have signed two quality strikers and who did we end up with - the gamble that was Balo. That set the trend for the season ahead and then when Sturro got crocked basically our season fell apart before it had hardly got underway..

I really can't see us signing that quality proven striker this summer either. This time around we will NOT be in the CL. We can throw as much money  as we want at players but at the end of the day anyone with decent pedigree wants to sign for a club playing in the CL..

I blame BR for us not being in it this year as when it comes to winning season defining games, we've bottled it big style this year - mainly because we have criminally failed to TURN-UP.

I too could hardly be bothered to find out the score v Hull, like woof. I just happened to have the radio on  for 5 mins and during that time Hull scored. I was not even angry such is the way I've felt so dispassionately about the boys since our loss to Man U and then Villa. That is NOT me, not me at all.. I just knew though that from the moment that goal went in we would not get back in the game, let alone win it. Again, I blame Rodgers for this, just like I praised him for making us Dream last season. Is it really only 12 months on from that time? Again, when I  think about this, it adds to my feeling of deflation at how our season has gone this year.

Maybe it will be a blessing if we don't make the Europa League. At least whoever is in charge next season won't be able to moan about tiredness...
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Tiredness is a REALLY bugbear to me. It's a total copout. Do you hear Rugby players complaing about it. Tennis players who can play at a very high tempo don't. Then you get the players/managers saying football is more faster these days, maybe but it's relative because years ago the game was slower, which I do not think it's that much faster today. But the players of yesteryear didn't have all the fitness coaches, diets etc that the modern players do
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 am

We all laughed, even the manager, at stupid spurs buying ten players. We all knew it would take ages for all those players to settle in and get used to the culture of the PL.
Theres no way we would ever, in a million years make the same mistake...
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby eds » Fri May 01, 2015 1:50 am

RedAnt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am wrote:I think BR's new ploy, the marquee signing thing is yet another smokescreen. Does anyone here think that if BR has £100m to spend and full control, he'd be bringing in top players? My guess is that there aren't many "top" players would join him and we'd end up with more expensive potential. The next "Ronaldo" from Bulgaria or something.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here Red.

Rodgers simply doesn't have the profile or clout to bring in players that want to play for him. That's one of the reasons why Suarez wanted to jump ship so quickly even though we almost won the league last year, Sanchez so easily choose Arsenal over us, before that we saw that with Willan, Salah, Eriksen, Mkhitaryan and even with Sigurðsson (who had actually played under Rodgers  :laugh: ). You can' tell me that a manager's profile doesn't count with players coming to the club, it makes a massive difference. That's why there is such a bad balance (of youth and stop gaps) and mediocre standard of players that have drifted to the club over the last few years. Rodgers is a nobody and has achieved f**k all in a football sense, so why would any talented player want to play for him. Same thing happened with Moyes at United last year. No one wanted to go there.

At the end of the day I don't actually blame Rodgers for any of our major issues. He is just a sub-standard manager that is deluded beyond his own reasoning, simply because he landed this "dream job" with us. He is the very epitome of David Brent. I saw through his heavily flawed perfect white smile persona a very long time ago. The ultimate blame once again falls with our owners, they are the ones that HIRED him. They are the ones that had a MANDATE on how to re-build this club. Rodgers is simply a pawn just following their VISION and STRATEGY. Same as everyone else under them. The PROBLEM is that they have a certain way of wanting things done and it's wrong, utterly and completely wrong. That's why Benitez was never interviewed last time and for fans thinking he will return as the messiah, you are in for a very, very rude shock when you start seeing the list of managers FSG want to interview (if they let Rodgers go). A bullheaded manager like Benitez would never work under the current regime. Whether Klopp is the same, we shall soon see. I doubt he would come here though knowing what these yanks are all about.

A lot of you didn't agree with this a few months ago but I'm sure with the way this season has descended into a farce I may slowly be starting to make a lot more sense this time round. But I can promise you that another season under Rodgers, or someone as equally inept and inexperienced as him bringing in another legion of overpriced kids and bargain buys will soon have everyone on the same hymn sheet.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby RedAnt » Fri May 01, 2015 7:46 am

eds » Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 am wrote:
RedAnt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am wrote:I think BR's new ploy, the marquee signing thing is yet another smokescreen. Does anyone here think that if BR has £100m to spend and full control, he'd be bringing in top players? My guess is that there aren't many "top" players would join him and we'd end up with more expensive potential. The next "Ronaldo" from Bulgaria or something.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here Red.

Rodgers simply doesn't have the profile or clout to bring in players that want to play for him. That's one of the reasons why Suarez wanted to jump ship so quickly even though we almost won the league last year, Sanchez so easily choose Arsenal over us, before that we saw that with Willan, Salah, Eriksen, Mkhitaryan and even with Sigurðsson (who had actually played under Rodgers  :laugh: ). You can' tell me that a manager's profile doesn't count with players coming to the club, it makes a massive difference. That's why there is such a bad balance (of youth and stop gaps) and mediocre standard of players that have drifted to the club over the last few years. Rodgers is a nobody and has achieved f**k all in a football sense, so why would any talented player want to play for him. Same thing happened with Moyes at United last year. No one wanted to go there.

At the end of the day I don't actually blame Rodgers for any of our major issues. He is just a sub-standard manager that is deluded beyond his own reasoning, simply because he landed this "dream job" with us. He is the very epitome of David Brent. I saw through his heavily flawed perfect white smile persona a very long time ago. The ultimate blame once again falls with our owners, they are the ones that HIRED him. They are the ones that had a MANDATE on how to re-build this club. Rodgers is simply a pawn just following their VISION and STRATEGY. Same as everyone else under them. The PROBLEM is that they have a certain way of wanting things done and it's wrong, utterly and completely wrong. That's why Benitez was never interviewed last time and for fans thinking he will return as the messiah, you are in for a very, very rude shock when you start seeing the list of managers FSG want to interview (if they let Rodgers go). A bullheaded manager like Benitez would never work under the current regime. Whether Klopp is the same, we shall soon see. I doubt he would come here though knowing what these yanks are all about.

A lot of you didn't agree with this a few months ago but I'm sure with the way this season has descended into a farce I may slowly be starting to make a lot more sense this time round. But I can promise you that another season under Rodgers, or someone as equally inept and inexperienced as him bringing in another legion of overpriced kids and bargain buys will soon have everyone on the same hymn sheet.

You often make good points, Eds. I can be harsh on the manager because I'm not knowledgable on the ins and outs of the club so I generally blame the "figurehead". As you point out, BR is a pawn in a greater structure. What irritates me about him is that he separated and elevates himself above the rest of the team. It's like he thinks he's Whiskey Nose but managing a small team. Like he thinks he's a step above and that he's working with players that are beneath him. He doesn't seem to realise he's a no-name manager managing a huge club. He doesn't realise that he came from the same bargain bin that Borini, Lambert, Allen and co came from. The reasons he doesn't have Messi, or Fabregas is because they don't believe in him. There's nothing wrong with the 'brand'. It's stood the test of time, is very successful and is known worldwide. Yep, it's much bigger than BR, formerly of Swansea, Brentford and Watford.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 01, 2015 7:47 am

Er, dont rewrite history please. Suarez always intended to jump ship even before last season...
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 am

Thommo's perm » Fri May 01, 2015 6:47 am wrote:Er, dont rewrite history please. Suarez always intended to jump ship even before last season...
:eyebrow

True, Thommo, but Suarez is way out of BRs league isn't he? Had BR done more whilst Suarez was here, or maybe attracted better players, better than Borini, then maybe Suarez might have stayed on. Probably not. But Liverpool FC is huge. I was embarrassed to see Suarez and Borini upfront together. Borini doesn't fit us. Our team is filled with low grade players that aren't compatible with our status. The fact that Suarez leaves and Borini stays in sadly says a lot about the direction we're heading under BR.
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:22 am wrote:
aCe' » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:28 am wrote:I think many fans are being a bit too dramatic. We've had a poor season and fair enough, many will call for the manager's head as a result of that. To be perfectly honest, I'd much rather we drop from the Europa league spots than have to compete in that rubbish competition especially given the fact we'll most probably not put in an effort to win it.

I think Rodgers will get another season (if I was the owner, I'd only sack him if a fantastic manager was available and willing to join), and I think how next season will pan out will be decided before a ball is kicked with our transfer dealings in the summer.

The fan's that want him kept Ace are being a bit deluded and hanging on to some notion that everything will be corrected in the summer. None of his signings are working out, they don't even suit what it is he say's he wants to do. He will also have plenty of excuses when what he does buy goes the same way as his previous ones.

Seriously a 7th place finish ?    Thats not acceptable even though the europa league is a distraction. If he moves us up one place given the resources he has had then its complete failure and he should get the DCM.

It's not 1975 anymore mate it's 2015 so I don't know why you keep going on about Rodgers's signings as if he has complete control over our transfer policy. He doesn't, Kenny didn't and the next man in won't either.
As Rodgers said himself the other day FSG have a way of working that has brought them a lot of success in a lot of ventures (both sporting and business) and they aren't going to change their approach for anyone.
Who knows, they could be right, mathematical models work in a lot of other instances so maybe in a few years time we will have a great side on our hands but I have to say I am sceptical myself.
I tend to agree with the last line of Ace's post, I think you basically know how a season is going to pan out by the business you do in the summer.

You absolve him from any blame whatsoever concerning transfers because he says we have a committee and therefore he has a fifth of a say or something like that.
Kenny had commoli and brendan didnt want van gaal so opted for the structure we have now which he probably helped shape, not only by refusing van gaal but with his 180 pages of fairytales.
Even this time last year he gave an interview to pearce saying he had the 1st and last say on transfers but you won't believe that  :no You prefer to believe he is a yes man with players being forced on him by a computer.
Every transfer window under the man has been a massive letdown, Last season was absolutely pathetic seeing we qualified for the CL and he raided southampton. Our season was well mapped out when he did that  and more fool you thinking he won't do it again.

Blame who you want for the transfers but even the style of football we are playing has gone backwards. That is all down to him not Fsg. 3 years and the man has brought us nowhere  :nod but lets pretend he will only be appointed on the 1st of june. Do you not even remember the spiels when he got the job about how we needed to be more frugal in the transfer market, he spoke about previous managers wasting money and vowed it wouldn't happen under him. Yeah well fast forward 3 years and look at us now  :down: 

I'm far from stuck in 75 mate and football at the top nowadays is dog eat dog. Fsg thought they were signing a pit-bull but when he came out from behind the screen all he ended up just being a poodle talking himself up through a megaphone.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am

Well said, RTID. So we have two potential situations. BR with his fifth of a say, working with a stats computer instead of a DoF, or BR is more involved in transfers than he'd have us believe. Neither situation looks good on him does it? He's either a weak kitten answering to a computer (but a decent coach), or he's simply a cr*p manager.
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 am

RedAnt » Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am wrote:Well said, RTID. So we have two potential situations. BR with his fifth of a say, working with a stats computer instead of a DoF, or BR is more involved in transfers than he'd have us believe. Neither situation looks good on him does it? He's either a weak kitten answering to a computer (but a decent coach), or he's simply a cr*p manager.

He has more of a say than what he would have you believe ant. I think most need to visit the some interesting reading thread that was set up when he got the job and remind themselves of how great a manager he claims he is and the direction he was going to guide us.

Is he a good manager  :no He's not even a good coach seeing as he has practically coached none of his players to a decent level. The other day he said that "you have to work on the basis that players want to play and improve "  :glare: Thats his whole coaching skills rolled into one sentence and is the very reason why he has got nothing from most of those players and they look like they just met each other on the way to the ground. He also brought in steve peters to mentally condition the players into winners  :laugh: He only did that because he is lacking that himself and still it turned up nothing. Not only are we struggling to win a game when the pressure is on but they don't even show up.

No way would any manager take players off a piece of software and put his head on the line for them  :no Definitely not one so consumed with himself like brendan.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

The signings we've made since Brendan took the job have mostly been abysmal. Who has the final say in who we sign? Fsg, Brendan, the transfer committe? It's hard to be certain, we can only guess but whoever it is must be a retard. How could you replace a 31 goal hero in Suarez  with an old man and a nutcase whom no managers including Mou and Mancini could handle? And to date, what are their goal returns? Answer, 3 PL goals between them, we have become the laughing stock of the PL esp when we had loads of cash from the Suarez sale and the lure of CL footie, we signed a bunch of mostly average players. Whoever was responsible for last summer's signings deserved to be shot. 

Now, Brendan is saying we need marquee signings especially strikers in the summer. I have this to say to him, "You've missed the boat mate, why didn't you insist on that last summer when we had CL football and had loads to spend? This summer, with no CL football and probably not even in the Europa League and with limited funds from fsg, which marquee player is going to come? You are deluded!!!. This season is doomed right from day 1 after last summer's farcical transfer dealings. You knew damn well Sturridge is made of glass and yet you didn't go all out to get a proven striker. You and the transfer committee have set the clock back by 5 seasons. Liverpool are a club that exist to be among Europe's elites(in case you don't know) and we cannot be signing young potentials or cheap old men all the time. Oh, James Milner is available for free this summer, go and get him, he fits in your transfer criteria perfectly I'm sure."
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Red Focus » May 1st, '15, 11:35 wrote:The signings we've made since Brendan took the job have mostly been abysmal. Who has the final say in who we sign? Fsg, Brendan, the transfer committe? It's hard to be certain, we can only guess but whoever it is must be a retard. How could you replace a 31 goal hero in Suarez  with an old man and a nutcase whom no managers including Mou and Mancini could handle? And to date, what are their goal returns? Answer, 3 PL goals between them, we have become the laughing stock of the PL esp when we had loads of cash from the Suarez sale and the lure of CL footie, we signed a bunch of mostly average players. Whoever was responsible for last summer's signings deserved to be shot. 

Now, Brendan is saying we need marquee signings especially strikers in the summer. I have this to say to him, "You've missed the boat mate, why didn't you insist on that last summer when we had CL football and had loads to spend? This summer, with no CL football and probably not even in the Europa League and with limited funds from fsg, which marquee player is going to come? You are deluded!!!. This season is doomed right from day 1 after last summer's farcical transfer dealings. You knew damn well Sturridge is made of glass and yet you didn't go all out to get a proven striker. You and the transfer committee have set the clock back by 5 seasons. Liverpool are a club that exist to be among Europe's elites(in case you don't know) and we cannot be signing young potentials or cheap old men all the time. Oh, James Milner is available for free this summer, go and get him, he fits in your transfer criteria perfectly I'm sure."

BR has final say. He's brought in the players he wanted. If he didn't want Balo, then he could have said no. No one would have forced or coerced him to sign Balo. Heck, Remy was through his medical, and for whatever reason, BR said no, and that was the end of that.

FSG do not get involved with transfers, they leave it all to the people that should know. However, they do provide extensive funding for transfers, which has been totally wasted by BR

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby mramo » Sat May 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Usually i am punching the air everytime utd lose. However tonights result is different. I was expecting Manure to win tonight

To watch them lose fcuks me off even more. How not winning against west brom and hull has hampered our position in the table tonight. We could have been on 66 points (1  ahead of man ure; and 1 behind man city and arsenal).

The final 3 games run in to determine who gets the 4th spot

MAN UTD
palace (a)
Arsenal (h)
hull (a)

LIVERPOOL
Chelsea (a)
palace (h)
Stoke (a)

I expect united to get 4 points from 9.
Liverpool to get 6 points of 9. I dont see us beating chelsea
mramo

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Hopefully Chelsea win the league before we play them. They might actually try playing instead of parking the bus... which would give us a chance.

I expect utd to lose to Arsenal but unfortunately winning the other two.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion