This "blip" we're having - Keep the faith

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Having seen the recent games against Manure, Brum and Chavski, our lack of cutting edge is alarming. Watching the game yesterday, at one point, I'm sure we had 65% of the possession, but for what?

The difference was the quality of strikers. Crespo and Robben gradually took control and caused problems. We simply have no striker capable of causing the same disruption as they do... Crouch, good against the also-rans, always seems out of his depth against the top sides. I'm a big fan of Crouch but the guy can't head a ball for toffee.

Must question Rafa's decisions here (not in hindsight... wondered why before the game kicked off), but Warnock v Robben??? hmmmm. Our best defensive displays have had Riise back there, with Kewell offering protection by keeping their right hand side busy. Warnock's positioning is suspect to say the least, as shown by the second goal so the decision to start him was baffling.

Also, 4-5-1 = we never win!!! Crouch, even when he did win the odd header, had NO support.

Teams have also sussed out our supposed 'zonal marking' problems, and are now purposely trying to win free kicks 35 yards out. It allows even the naff teams to get players forward and have a great chance of scoring. 2 more goals conceded from set pieces yesterday, one of which was thankfully off-side.... but it doesn't disguise the fact that you've got a good chance of scoring against us from set pieces.

Still, we're the 2nd best team in England now.... and Rafa will know what it will take to get us to 1st.

Keep the faith.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mikeg » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:42 pm

its hardly a blip, we conceded a stupid own goal in the last few minutes against birmingham, thats hardly a major blip considering the form we have been in

in regards to the defeats against chelsea and manchester united, we narrowly lost away from home to 2 teams that are better than us, no shame in that
mikeg

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

It was always obvious to me that as soon as we started playing these big games again we would have difficulties. You can't just rely on your midfield to score all the time. That's why I thought even Ashton would have been a good signing for us (although I wouldn't have paid as much for him as West Ham paid.) Still, hopefully we can get Robbie back to a good level of fitness soon and we'll have more of a cutting edge for the last few months. 

I like Crouch and believe that he gives us an extra edge BUT he is on hiding to nothing being played up front on his own. He needs another striker alongside him to be at his most effective. I thought our midfield was up to the task on what was an appalling surface. We faded after the second goal but it was a sucker punch.

On Warnock, most people who have watched him probably have misgivings about the lad but he can do a job for us until we find a better alternative. As some others have raised, I thought Finnan had a great game and Carra, Alonso and Kewell did themselves credit. Gerrard didn't have a great game but I think he wants to win against Chelsea and maybe after the antic of the last two years he as psychological block.

Bottom line is Rafa knows we need another striker and will do everything he can to rectify it in the summer. We aren't far away from Chelsea and, for me, this game proved it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Boys the 19th time isint far away.  So theres no need to get down over the last couple off results.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:55 pm

I stand by my statement that Gerrard goes missing far too much in the 'big' league games. Not for lack of ability but mis-direction. It always seems to me that he is unwilling to take a gamble and play ahead of the midfield 2 (Alonso & Sissoko) for fear of leaving gaps and losing possesion.

Now its true you have to play a tighter game against the likes of Chelsea but the rewards only come when a gamble is taken. It seems like he wants to be everywhere to clean up any mistakes.

Against lesser opposition he is happy to let Alonso and Sissoko deal with the midfield themselves and this gives him license to make those penetrative runs and score goals - his influence is devastating. But in those higher profile games he seems to be reluctant to play the same way, which inevitably leads to less attacking influence and creativity by our best player.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I stand by my statement that Gerrard goes missing far too much in the 'big' league games. Not for lack of ability but mis-direction. It always seems to me that he is unwilling to take a gamble and play ahead of the midfield 2 (Alonso & Sissoko) for fear of leaving gaps and losing possesion.

Now its true you have to play a tighter game against the likes of Chelsea but the rewards only come when a gamble is taken. It seems like he wants to be everywhere to clean up any mistakes.

Against lesser opposition he is happy to let Alonso and Sissoko deal with the midfield themselves and this gives him license to make those penetrative runs and score goals - his influence is devastating. But in those higher profile games he seems to be reluctant to play the same way, which inevitably leads to less attacking influence and creativity by our best player.

yep
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:09 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I stand by my statement that Gerrard goes missing far too much in the 'big' league games. Not for lack of ability but mis-direction. It always seems to me that he is unwilling to take a gamble and play ahead of the midfield 2 (Alonso & Sissoko) for fear of leaving gaps and losing possesion.

Yeah but that's essentially been the case for the last two seasons. At times he's virtually carried the team by himself but against the top sides, others need to step up to the plate and they just aren't doing that.

Yesterday told us what we already knew. We're a good team but Chelsea are better, despite not being attractive to watch. The difference is they are ruthless and take their chances. We played well in spells but our shortcomings were very evident i.e. no cutting edge, no natural finisher, no natural right midfielder/winger and a left back with no positional sense whatsoever.

We've got to get Gerrard back in the middle as he's wasted on the right in games of this magnitude when the opposition have three in the centre of the park. Plus he's the one who links up best with Crouch. I think we need to try new options on the right as nothing is really working. I'd even be tempted to give Kromkamp a run out there just to see what he's like as surely he can't be any less effective than Cisse or Garcia. The same for Paul Anderson.

However on a final note, it's not Gerrard I'm most concerned about anyway. Alonso has been pi$$ poor by his standards in the last few games.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 pm

I am genuinely fascinated by the progress Liverpool are making under Rafael Benitez at Anfield and I have no doubts that it will ultimately lead to them winning the biggest prize in English football.

Of course no guarantees can be made in football but all the signs are that the good times are well and truly returning to the red half of the city.

Rafa has stated on a number of occasions that he is here for the long haul and wants to spend many years in Liverpool. That is great news for the club.

I have really enjoyed watching the impact he has made since his arrival eighteen months ago and there's no doubt everyone at the club, including the supporters, understands his vision and what he's trying to do. His approach, tactical intelligence and detail to work have impressed me greatly.

I don't usually conduct the manager interviews after games, but when we have Football First games on a Saturday on SKY all the commentators speak to the managers afterwards. On a couple of occasions this season I've asked him the same question: 'How near is this Liverpool team to the machine-like side you had at Valencia?' Both times he has knocked away the question and said there is still much work to do. I do, however, think he is making big progress towards that.

Tyler on Benitez
Rafa Benitez will win the title with Liverpool eventually. Whether it's next season, the season after or the season after that I don't know, but he knows what he is doing, he understands how to build a successful and winning team and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Liverpool fans are celebrating lifting their nineteenth championship trophy.

Rafa Benitez will win the title with Liverpool eventually. Whether it's next season, the season after or the season after that I don't know, but he knows what he is doing, he understands how to build a successful and winning team and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Liverpool fans are celebrating lifting their nineteenth championship trophy.

I have a great deal of admiration for Benitez. He doesn't always make life easy for those interviewing him but that's fair enough. The important thing is what he achieves on the field and so far there won't be anyone at Anfield complaining. His results speak for themself and last season's Champions League run was simply stunning.

The only advice I'd give him follows the same principle of some great advice I was given many years ago by David Coleman - a great commentator in his day. He once said to me that you can never deliver the perfect commentary, but you must try to achieve it. I think the same advice could be offered to Rafa. He is a perfectionist in everything he tries to do - a real 24/7 football man - and he must continue working to try and put together the perfect team to play perfect football. It may not be possible, but I'm sure that's what he is striving for.

It's easy to say that Rafa has taken Liverpool to another level since Gerard Houllier left but I think history will judge Gerard in a much kinder light than he was judged by many when he left. I am good friends with Gerard, we still speak often and I think it's important to remember that he was the man who brought the trophy winning times back to Liverpool. All managers inevitably have a shelf life and the club felt the time was right to go in another direction. They certainly appear to have appointed the right man to take them in the direction they need to be heading.

The thing that has struck me most this season has been the level of improvement in their league games. Europe is going to plan so far and I do think that finishing above Chelsea in their qualifying group was a big prize. With the greatest of respect to Benfica, who of course were partly responsible for knocking Manchester United out, I think Liverpool have got the easier tie because Barcelona are not a team any side would want to face.

The last time I saw Liverpool play before yesterday was when they lost to a late goal at Old Trafford. Their level of performance in that tough away game was another indication of how much they have improved since last season when they lost eleven games on the road. That was a very poor record.

Whether Liverpool are making small steps at a time or whether they're taking big steps is something I think we'll only discover at the end of the season.

A resurgent Liverpool and a title challenging Liverpool side is good for the English game. I can tell you from a television point of view that very few clubs have as much pulling power as Liverpool. We're very aware that when Liverpool are on we get a bigger than average audience, and that didn't change even when the club were going through a bad spell.

I'm old enough to remember Liverpool's glorious era when they dominated football in this country. People are often resentful of successful teams and a lot of jealousy creeps in, but I take the opposite view and say that we should salute teams who win. The challenge for the others then is to reach those standards. The mentality of fans in this country is to want to see the teams at the top knocked off straightaway.

Tyler on the return of Fowler
I have a lot of time and a lot of affection for Robbie because he is someone I've known for many years since he was playing at England youth level. I've commentated on some of his best moments, such as the five minute hat-trick against Arsenal. It's great to see him being given this new lease of life at Liverpool and I think it's a move which brings no risk. Fowler scores goals and Liverpool need goals so hopefully it will work out as well as Rafa is hoping.
To stay at the top is a massive achievement, better than even getting there in the first place. Chelsea are in pole position at the moment and so we're looking for challengers from anywhere to try and topple them. Liverpool, with the staff they have at their disposal, have that ability.

I can't see Liverpool pushing on and winning the title this season - I'd have held the same view even if they'd won at Chelsea yesterday - but they have suggested with some of their results this year that next season they will be looking to improve even further. I can only imagine how exciting it must be to be a Liverpool supporter this season with the league campaign going well, still being in Europe and a wonderful FA Cup clash against Manchester United to look forward to.

For Liverpool to be the team which emerges as Chelsea's main challengers for the title, I do think they need to score more goals. I think Rafael Benitez feels that as well and that is why he has signed Robbie Fowler. I have a lot of time and a lot of affection for Robbie because he is someone I've known for many years since he was playing at England youth level. I've commentated on some of his best moments, such as the five minute hat-trick against Arsenal. It's great to see him being given this new lease of life at Liverpool and I think it's a move which brings no risk. Fowler scores goals and Liverpool need goals so hopefully it will work out as well as Rafa is hoping.

With Manchester United looking to replace Roy Keane in midfield and Arsenal going through something of a transition the challenge is there for one team to come out of the pack and really challenge Chelsea's dominance next year. Could that team be Liverpool? If they can become more prolific in front of goal then the answer is yes.

taken off the offical site but i thought it is relevant to this thread. martyn tyler has gone right up in my estimates
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby ynwa » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 pm

what blips r we in. we have been playing great in the last few months. we played top two teams in england. we lost to the mancs by lack of concertain and a mistake by alonso. februy is going to be a hard months for us but after that we will be fine and we will finish ahead of the :censored: at the end of the season
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:17 pm

we have to be patient,we have improving every year under rafa and it won't be long before we rule england as champions
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:34 pm

when we win the league next year what all the none liverpool fans wanna go to the games but i dont think we r in a blip
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rastalovich » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Apart from using the term "goes missing", which supposes u never know where he is, when in fact he`s almost everywhere.

That`s a fair statement.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby zarababe » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:41 pm

How fickle can those who start the doom and gloom analysis be when a thread like this is required.. we haven't had it so good and in fact yer a bunch of ungrateful ar.ses for spouting doom and gloom... this season is work in progress. Loosing is disappointing, ruins yer day and all that cr.ap but lets not forget how far we have come, and the Boss is clear that this team is improved, but is only 70% there, in terms of where he wants 'his' team to be.. so lets all remember that OK ..
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Also, 4-5-1 = we never win!!! Crouch, even when he did win the odd header, had NO support.

I have not many reasons to criticise Rafa, but if we won so many games with a 4-4-2 I can't see how that isn't solid aswell against Chelsea.

But, a blip or a mini strike of bad luck, or a momentary not so good form is normal, cheer up lads, there is not many things to moan about.

Look Barcelona, seemed unbeatable, lost Etoo for the African team, and lost against At Madrid 1-3, and were out in the King's cup. Look Madrid, you were all asking for them in the CL draw, and now they start playing well. Forms change, so this is normal, but we're in good hands, don't worry.

This club is progressively improving, both in his football and it's economics, little ups and downs are expectable, so don't worry too much
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:38 pm

I was disappointed with the 4-5-1 again yesterday.
It clearly hasnt worked and we offer no attacking threat at all against the better sides, as Gerrard ends up too deep.
But we are totally on the right track and have had a difficult couple of weeks with tough fixtures but we will finish higher in the league than last year, we still have a massive F.A Cup game and are in the knockout stages of the Champions league again.
The players need to forget about the last couple of games and focus on Wednesday's very winnable home game with Charlton.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion