LIVERPOOL VS DERBY COUNTY - Barclays premier league 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hello_red » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:16 am

Emerald Red wrote:
hello_red wrote:OOOOOOOOOH!

Lets see:

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Agger  Arbeloa/Riise (not sure)

Yossi  Mascha  Alonso  Babel

Torres   Kuyt

But maybe we could play Pennant on the right, I like that formation as is though. Obviously may have to change our game plan if they have 15 men behind the ball. Anyone noticed how when a game isnt going our way Rafa has been substituting an attacking player for a different type of attacking player as opposed to last season where the bench was seriously lacking. Loving it so far. We do have genuine quality on our flanks finally (I rate Pennant highly).

That sounded like you were a kid again going into a pick'n'mix spoiled for choice.

"Hmm, I'll have that one! Oh, no, maybe that one! Na, this one!."

:laugh:

But yeah, I think Rafa is getting that way these days, what with all the options he has.

Right, for this game, I hear people talk about 11 men behind the ball and that. Good. I hope they do this. They will be battered. We've got some quality width these days, and with Torres and Vornin, Kuyt being playing as clever as they have when paired respectivly, we should be able to carve them apart regardless. Could be a game for Crouch to shine if they want to pack the box out. We'll need his hight and flick on's. If this game becomes stretched in any way, we'll thump them.

2-0 to us.

I know! I am like a kid in a sweet shop. Its pretty good to be honest, finally I can watch the game without to much worry about Gonzales playing!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:16 am

I would go with the following:

Reina

Finnan        Hyypia        Agger        Arbeloa

Pennant  Mascherano    Sissoko      Benayoun

Crouch      Voronin

Torres
Babel
Alonso
Riise
Itandje

The defence picks its self for me, while Alonso’s form hasn’t been bad, Mascherano and Sissoko have been playing well and sticking with them will send out the right message to all our players, Pennant and Benayoun have looked like our most dangerous attacking midfielders this year, Voronin wasn’t involved on Tuesday and has done well on both occasions he has started so I would play him, Crouch scored on Tuesday and I think sticking with him will show him that he is loved as is the same with Benayoun. Kuyt is the only major absentee but I don’t think there is much momentum to be gained from his brace on Tuesday what with the players going away for 2 weeks after this game

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 am

Why would you rest Torres, when he didn't play against Toulouse and there is an international break after the Derby game? I would definitely play him from begin on along with Voronin, and then bring Crouch on for one of them at some point in the game, when the three points are hopefully already in the bag.
JamCar05

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 am

It wouldn’t be a case of resting him. It’s the fact that Voronin wasn’t in the squad on Tuesday and has scored in both games he has started so he deserves to play. Crouch has been left out of the squad twice already but has been effective every time he has played by either scoring or to help set a goal up, playing him two games in a row will be good for his confidence.

Torres has been good but there are no questions marks over him at the moment, he is still settling in so we can afford to look at him over the long term.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:56 am

Picking between Pennant and Benayoun after the other night is difficult so I'd play them both, one on either wing and if one fades replace them with Babel. Mascherano has to keep his place at the expense of Alonso.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:It wouldn’t be a case of resting him. It’s the fact that Voronin wasn’t in the squad on Tuesday and has scored in both games he has started so he deserves to play. Crouch has been left out of the squad twice already but has been effective every time he has played by either scoring or to help set a goal up, playing him two games in a row will be good for his confidence.

Torres has been good but there are no questions marks over him at the moment, he is still settling in so we can afford to look at him over the long term.

Shouldn't we be showing some "love" to Kuyt as well?
Also what goal was is that Crouch set up, I can recall many goals set up by Kuyt and one excellent one by Voronin but none from Crouch.
I fail to see what people see in Crouch, I think he is by far our worst striker, he is the Zenden of the 2007/2008 season!! The amount of chances he misses is disgrace for a supposed top class striker, Kuyt isn't too great either but at least he creates chances for others.

I would play Torres and Kuyt and then bring on Voronin in the second half, maybe together with Crouch if we are cruising at that point. The rest of the team looks good.
heimdall

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:45 pm

heimdall wrote:I fail to see what people see in Crouch, I think he is by far our worst striker, he is the Zenden of the 2007/2008 season!! The amount of chances he misses is disgrace for a supposed top class striker, Kuyt isn't too great either but at least he creates chances for others.

You're not seriosly suggesting that Crouch doesn't create chances for others?

The mind boggles.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:It wouldn’t be a case of resting him. It’s the fact that Voronin wasn’t in the squad on Tuesday and has scored in both games he has started so he deserves to play. Crouch has been left out of the squad twice already but has been effective every time he has played by either scoring or to help set a goal up, playing him two games in a row will be good for his confidence.

Fair play. I just don't wanna underestimate Derby, and therefore I believe we should start with our best team available. Especially as we don't have any games directly after this one. And the best team means Torres should play instead of Crouch in my opinion. It would also do him good if he was able to get a few goals, seing as he missed a couple of big chances against Sunderland. I don't believe we should play Crouch "to show him love", our first priority must be to win the game, and it is my firm belief that Torres will help us achieve this goal better than Crouch (not that we won't be able to win with Crouch - we most likely will).
JamCar05

Postby heimdall » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:33 pm

stmichael wrote:
heimdall wrote:I fail to see what people see in Crouch, I think he is by far our worst striker, he is the Zenden of the 2007/2008 season!! The amount of chances he misses is disgrace for a supposed top class striker, Kuyt isn't too great either but at least he creates chances for others.

The mind boggles.

Yes I am, well at least not as many chances as Kuyt does. Crouch just seems to hover around the 16 yeard box and wait for people to  deliver the ball to him, very rarely does he create anything for himself. I just don't rate him and clearly neither does Rafa.
heimdall

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 pm

stmichael wrote:

The mind boggles.

Agreed, the mind boggles.

Crouch creates plenty for others, and plenty for himself.

He is not our worst striker, he is a different option to the others. We have quality options everywhere this season, hopefully that can be the difference.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:03 pm

The question I feel many are missing here, is this:

"In a game where opposition pressure will be minimal, and our attacking play to the fore, would you really want to see Sissoko take to the field ahead of Alonso?"

And I personally feel that the yay sayers are on drugs.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FRfanatic » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Reina
Finnan       Hyypia        Agger     Riise 

Pennant      Mascherano      Babel   

Torres
          Vorronin      Crouch

Attackkkkkk  !!!!!!!!!
4-0 LFC
FRfanatic

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 pm

heres my Rafa prediciton for the weekend.

Reinna
Finnan, hyypia, agger, arbeloa
Pennant, xabi, momo, riise
kuyt, torres

babel
benayoun
that goalie
vorinon
mascherano

And dont be saying I cheated when saturday comes.  I havent seen the team sheet on the white board ( sh i t is that racist) at melwood.

I reckon this one will be at least 4-0  momo, riise , torres 2
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby mattylfc » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:33 am

My stab:

Reina

Finnan     Hyppia     Agger       Riise

Pennant    Alonso   Sissoko    Babel

Kuyt      Torres

Arbeloa has played very well lately but has also clocked up a lot of minutes lately, his defensive duties shouldnt be required too much this week so i would go with the attacking option in Riise. For me, Alonso must play and i would be surprised if him and Masch start together. Hoping Babel will start his first home game.  Who will partner Torres is anyones guess but personally i think it will be kuyt.

Should be a good chance to get the old goal tallies up!
mattylfc

Postby besiktas_peace » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 am

ı m a besiktas fan. my english is not very well,maybe ı can mistake in grammar,sorry for this. first of all,ı apologize of you,because some besiktas fans really stupid and you dont consider important this guys. ı think the other topic (champions leage) closed and ı wanna write in here we are kindly fans,and besiktas fans love liverpool and kop..so if you will come to istanbul you will see beautiful things,and see besiktas fans.besiktas fans are very enthusiastic but not holigans..so ı m very happy to play of liverpool and see you,and ı think you will be very happy to see me...ı again apologize of you,and good luck...
besiktas_peace

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion