Lfc v man city - 4-3-3 possibly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:17 pm

From .tv:

ALONSO AND GONZALEZ OUT OF CITY CLASH

Midfielders Xabi Alonso and Mark Gonzalez have both been ruled out of tomorrow's clash with Manchester City at Anfield. 
Alonso faces up to twelve days on the sidelines with a knee injury while Gonzalez could be out for three weeks after tearing his hamstring against PSV Eindhoven in midweek.

Jermaine Pennant, who also left the clash with PSV on a stretcher, is a doubt and will face a late fitness test.

Benitez will also be without Stephen Warnock for the next couple of weeks after the defender underwent a groin operation while Fabio Aurelio, Momo Sissoko and Harry Kewell are all still missing
--------------

right so to recap thats no:

Warnock, Aurelio, Kewell, Gonzalez for the lefthand side

Sissoko, Alonso for the centre

and possible no pennant for the right.....

:Oo:

may have to be gerrard/zenden in the middle with garcia/bellamy on the wings OR this would be (depending on how adventurous RB is) to blood the young-uns.

Step up Hammil, anderson and guthrie
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:00 pm

I'm not a big fan of changing formations, 4-4-2 is The Liverpool Way, the reserves play it, the Youth team plays it and even the under 12's in the Academy play it.... We have enough belief (and strength) in our first team squad to get past Man City, especially at home....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby WhIpLaSh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:41 pm

I have a strong suspicion that now that SG has slotted one against PSV the floodgates will open. He's too good to go goalless too long.

Hopefully then, if one of our strikers is firing at any given time, we should sort out the goal issue. More goals at home and (any) goals away. Tomorrow might just be the game in the EPL we need to get our confidence back on track.

I can't see it being anything but an easy win.

GO ON YOU REDMEN!
Everytime you win, you're reborn. Everytime you lose, you die a little.
WhIpLaSh

Postby welsh wizzard » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:58 pm

I have a feeling Rafa will play Craig on the right wing with Garcia on the left, he will prob tell Kuite and Bellamy to interchange at times as well. With Kuite having played on the right at times. Zendon and Gerrard in the middle. Hopefully Anderson will be on the bench and will get last 20min etc. Mancity will sit back i feel so going with an attacking formation at home will do more good than bad.
                                     Reina
Finnan              Carra        Aggar          Riise

Bellamy            Gerrard           Zendon               Garcia

Kuite          Crouch

Subs
Dudek
Hyypia
Anderson
Fowler
palleta
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:10 pm

In light of the midfield injury problems we have at the moment I would not be surprised if Man City flood the midfield with 5 players in there. That would be us have to play the usual 4-4-2 and I would not be against young Anderson getting a start on the right hand side of midfield!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:49 pm

ive just thought..i wonder if we'll get the chance to salute one of our old boys tomorrow.   :nod.   i understand he is fit again.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby kop11 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:59 pm

ye most agree with giving adersen i go!! i went to watch the england u 19 theother week at he was outstanding along with hammel

we have got to give didi haman a great reception!!! :D :)
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:06 pm

red37 wrote:ive just thought..i wonder if we'll get the chance to salute one of our old boys tomorrow.   :nod.   i understand he is fit again.

"Der Kaiser"?
It'd be nice to see him get a good reception from the Kop[B]
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:15 pm

4-3-3 isn't such a bad shout with the recent injuries although i prefer to see it as a 2nd option should we still need a goal going into the last 30 minutes. I see a lot of people calling for Anderson but if he was near to the 1st team squad I would have expected him to have seen some League Cup action with the likes of Peltier earlier this season. However, I would not be surprised to see young Hammil promoted to the squad as we are screwed for cover if Stevie or Bolo get injured (wouldn't you love it if we bought back Didi in Jan!?) Upfront i would like to see Kuyt and Crouch continue their partnership. A win is crucial so the in-form players should be on the park.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:02 pm

red37 wrote:ive just thought..i wonder if we'll get the chance to salute one of our old boys tomorrow.   :nod.   i understand he is fit again.

some of the Kaiser's thoughts ahead of the game: lets hope he does get a great reception, he deserves it. (not the points though)  :;):

DIDI: IT'S GOING TO BE EMOTIONAL
Paul Eaton 24 November 2006

Dietmar Hamann looked ahead to his return to Anfield with Manchester City tomorrow and admitted: "It will be emotional." 
The German midfielder has recovered from a leg injury and looks set to start in the City midfield as Stuart Pearce's men go in search of their first away success of the season.

After making 283 appearances during a glorious career with the Reds, Hamann is eagerly anticipating tomorrow's game and the chance to meet up with many old friends.

"It will be emotional," he admitted. "I went to the Galatasaray match earlier this season when I said hello to a few people, but that's the only time I've been back.

"A part of me feels like I still belong there. I was there a long time and had some wonderful memories. Part of me is still Liverpool and I hope I get a nice reception.

"I'm surprised at how they've started, because I really thought they would be genuine title contenders this season.

"I didn't think they'd be so many points behind the top two, which is really down to their away record - although they have had their five or six toughest away trips already.

"But I still think they will finish top three. We put together a run of nine or 10 wins last season and they are capable of doing it again."

Hamann accepts it'll be tough for City to get the result they desire, especially with the Liverpool captain back in top form.

"If Stevie's on his game he's hard to stop," he added. "His pace, his passing, his shooting - he can take any defence apart. We have to defend as a team and help each other out, because if you let yourself get one against one with him you're in trouble.

"I can't really give our lads any tips on how to stop him. Our people have watched him a few times and there's nothing I can really tell them they don't already know. Except that it will be tough!"

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:26 pm

pennant's facing a late fitness test before the game. i really hope he's fit so we don't have to shift garcia out wide right. alonso will be a big miss although i thought zenden had a really good game against PSV.

nevertheless, we'll win the game. man city are even worse than us away from home and that's saying something.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:48 am

Midfielders Xabi Alonso and Mark Gonzalez have both been ruled out of tomorrow's clash with Manchester City at Anfield.
Alonso faces up to twelve days on the sidelines with a knee injury while Gonzalez could be out for three weeks after tearing his hamstring against PSV Eindhoven in midweek.

Jermaine Pennant, who also left the clash with PSV on a stretcher, is a doubt and will face a late fitness test.

Benitez will also be without Stephen Warnock for the next couple of weeks after the defender underwent a groin operation while Fabio Aurelio, Momo Sissoko and Harry Kewell are all still missing.

My team if Pennant isnt fit :-

Reina
Finnan    Carra        Agger       Riise

Bellamy(free role)   Gerrard    Zenden     Garcia

Kuyt      Crouch

Thinking about it that would be my team even if Pennant was fit.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:01 am

I'd go with:

Reina

Finnan       JC                Sami         Warnock

Garcia              Gerrard            Zenden                 Riise

Fowler       Kuyt.

It won't be that team, though. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 1154 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:05 am