JOHN FLANAGAN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Focus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:46 am

Flano's game is getting better and better and did you all notice when he scored, the celebration was more on him opening his scoring account rather than the actual goal itself? It was just like when Crouchie scored his first goal for LIverpool and everyone were so happy for him rather than the goal itself. It will give the lad a boost of confidence and hope to see him continue to improve his game as time passes.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 am

Amazing performance from him once more. Let's hope he continues to improve and grow in stature :)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:18 am

Apparently he got taken off because of an hamstring injury.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:40 am

That'd make some sense, considering the move at the time made no sense and disrupted our flow a bit.

Hope it's not anything serious, we can't afford that right now.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

I absolutely love this player ,young John underlines the application and dogged determination needed to play for this glorious club....Against the Bitterz
he was phenomenal.  I always believed this kid had the capacity to be one of the very best fullbacks we have ever had at the club. :buttrock  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Thought he looked good when Kenny was manager but then he went off the radar. 
Must admit I wrote him off a bit at that point and wasn't happy when he was named in the first 11 for the first time earlier in the season. 

Proved me completely wrong though.  Has been brilliant ever since and we missed him when he was injured.  Better than Cissokho by miles and better than Kelly too.  Even with Enrique and Johnson fit I think he'd battle his way in.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 pm

I'd like to see us go with Flanagan and McLaughlin as our fullbacks, I know they sound like a pair of singers who may break out into a chorus of 'the rocky road to Dublin' at any moment but I genuinely think they would compliment each other.
They'd save us a few bob too with both of them coming through the ranks.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 pm

He should be watching video's of Steve Finnan every night.

Very similar players. He's as good as Finn's was as he's a bit slower and Finnan had an immaculate touch but still think he could play in a similar way. Don't believe he'll ever really surpass his current form but you can never rule out growth and physical improvement at his age. If he does grow in the right way we could have a really good full back on our hands.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm wrote:He should be watching video's of Steve Finnan every night.

Very similar players. He's as good as Finn's was as he's a bit slower and Finnan had an immaculate touch but still think he could play in a similar way. Don't believe he'll ever really surpass his current form but you can never rule out growth and physical improvement at his age. If he does grow in the right way we could have a really good full back on our hands.

Was just about to compare him to Finnan in response to RED BEERGOGGLES' post. He has been brilliant but I don't think he'll ever have much more to offer than he does now. What he could become however is a consistently solid performer (which is why consistency is the name of the game as far as hes concerned imo). I see him more as a player who is potentially good enough for a side aiming for a top4 finish if he maintains his current level (perhaps not good enough if we are looking at league titles).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 pm wrote:He should be watching video's of Steve Finnan every night.

Exactly! Was thinking the same about him and Finnan.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm wrote:I'd like to see us go with Flanagan and McLaughlin as our fullbacks, I know they sound like a pair of singers who may break out into a chorus of 'the rocky road to Dublin' at any moment but I genuinely think they would compliment each other.
They'd save us a few bob too with both of them coming through the ranks.

I'd love to see McLaughln as one of our regular fullbacks.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:46 pm

think is, when it comes to full backs, it's consistency that's key, not bursting forward 50 yards to score a goal.

Rob Jones, Marcus Babble, Steve Finnan, even Álvaro Arbeloa...all would be quiet in the games, because they'd be doing their job. and when full backs are doing their job right, you hardly notice them.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm wrote:think is, when it comes to full backs, it's consistency that's key, not bursting forward 50 yards to score a goal.

Rob Jones, Marcus Babble, Steve Finnan, even Álvaro Arbeloa...all would be quiet in the games, because they'd be doing their job. and when full backs are doing their job right, you hardly notice them.

Yeah but they all lie in the pantheon of 'decent' LFC fullbacks, the true greats like Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Chris Lawler etc not only were solid at the back but were great going forward too.
Neal scored in 2 European cup finals and if you count Kennedy's winning penalty in 84 alongside his winner against Madrid in 81 so did he! Lawler had a phenomenal goal scoring record for a fullback, he scored more goals for Liverpool than Dirk Kuyt and Lawler never took pens or free kicks.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 am

The few times he's played this season he has done really well i am made up for the lad and you need scousers in the team. Glen Johnson has been utter dogsh1t this season, doesnt want to know doesnt want to sign a new contract so even when he is fit again i wouldnt even put him back in the team. e only want players that want to play for Liverpool if they dont well you know where the door is lad. Flanno wants to play & stay is he one for the future? I hope so only time will tell but he''s been excellent when he has come in keep up the good work kiddo  :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:17 am

He will be getting a new contract soon :)
He deserves it!
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion