Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Boocity » Sun May 24, 2015 6:02 pm

I also don't want to hear anything about changing managers not being the Liverpool way, well getting beat 6-1 by Stoke definitely isn't the Liverpool way
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Liverpool Echo... http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest- ... oke-defeat

Boss offers apology for Stoke defeat

Brendan Rodgers offered an apology to Liverpool supporters following their 6-1 defeat at Stoke City on the final day of the 2014-15 season.

The Reds found themselves five goals down at half-time following strikes from Mame Diouf (2), Jonathan Walters, Charlie Adam and Steven Nzonzi.

Steven Gerrard pulled one back for the visitors after the break, but Peter Crouch headed in a late sixth for Stoke.

Afterwards, Rodgers told reporters: "To start with, it's an apology. I think everybody, all the supporters connected with Liverpool, will - like us all - be embarrassed by that and they deserve an apology.

"In the first half, we were too easily beaten. They scored a couple of wonder goals, but we have to be much better than that, like we showed in the second half. After the first half, the game was dead.

"We should have been much better in certain defensive moments in the game. We were too easily beaten and not competitive enough in certain areas. On the field, you've got to show aggression and desire to stop people running past you and beating you in a one-v-one duel. That's the bottom line of it. It was bitterly disappointing."

Rodgers acknowledged fans' frustration and disappointment at the defeat, and said: "They have every right to be [angry]. These supporters have been brilliant for us, particularly away from home with the support we've had. We can have no complaints - any of us. The supporters were angry at half-time and rightly so because that was awful, first half. Absolutely awful.

"This season has been a tough season, and in particular towards the end. In this period now, we've come up short. We haven't won enough games in this last couple of months of the season, so they've every right to be angry and frustrated. I take full responsibility for that as the manager.

"Our job is to now go away and reflect on this season. There's an awful lot of work to do and the job is to now go and fix that, and make sure we come back with a motivation greater than ever to push on next season. We've finished the season in sixth, which is where we deserve to finish. We have to now start, today, on the climb to get back up again."

With 2014-15 now over, Rodgers admitted he plans to address the areas that require improvement throughout the summer but also pledged that such work begins for him right now.

"There are a number of key elements of the performance today that didn't surprise me, if I'm being honest," he continued.

"There are areas that we'll address in the summer that will hopefully help us be much more competitive more consistently and be up there from the beginning of the season. We as a club will work very, very hard to make that happen."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 pm

For the performances against West Brom, Hull, Crystal Palace and now Stoke, and the way the team mentally gave up on 4th spot, I wouldn't be too surprised if Rodgers was sacked. But besides Klopp, who else could and would come in and lift the team and give some hope to the fanbase? I still don't think we have a chance to sign Klopp. The squad isn't as bad as it's playing right now. We have a good number of good young players. We need a proper striker, a CM and a CB. If we do well in the transfer market, I'm quite confident we could be in top 4 next season...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm sick of hearing his excuses to be honest. We have become a laughing stock, and this will continue next year unless someone takes action now.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sun May 24, 2015 6:35 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun May 24, 2015 5:23 pm wrote:I'm sick of hearing his excuses to be honest. We have become a laughing stock, and this will continue next year unless someone takes action now.

Spot on, you know it, i know it, the majority here know it, so FFS why can't FSG fkn do something about him and his teeth  :censored:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Rodgers hasn't been a complete disaster, from Jan 2013 to last May we played some of the best stuff I've ever seen from any liverpool side and even this year, okay we started abysmally but we did go on a great run to put ourselves in a position to challenge for the CL places and we played some good stuff at times as well (e.g Chelsea in the league cup semi's etc)
So to be fair to him he has shown when he does get it right we do look the part.
I think he's shown enough over his 3 years here that he might, just might have the ability to coach a side capable of winning silverware if he is given the tools to do the job i.e some top players.
Our form has been erratic im not denying that but I think there has been a lot going on behind the scene's this season which hasn't helped him or our form either. There have been a lot of leaks to the press about fights between players, the role of the transfer committee, the manager not wanting certain players....in fact you name it.
He's a young manager and I'd want to be 100% sure before I let him go that he won't go elsewhere and become a great manager. I'd give him another season, then again if Milner and Ings are the height of our aspiration he doesn't stand a chance from the start.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:37 pm

well fat sam is free.........(not sure theres many old member left to understand that joke)
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun May 24, 2015 6:43 pm

I think Rodgers is dead in the water now and will be put out his misery this week.

Too much drama, shambolic recruitment poor performances and with plenty of superior managers with
the gravitas Rodgers does not command currently looking for work, he's had it.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sun May 24, 2015 6:45 pm

parchpea » Sun May 24, 2015 5:43 pm wrote:I think Rodgers is dead in the water now and will be put out his misery this week.

Too much drama, shambolic recruitment poor performances and with plenty of superior managers with
the gravitas Rodgers does not command currently looking for work, he's had it.

Perfectly summarised
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun May 24, 2015 8:38 pm

maguskwt » Sun May 24, 2015 9:23 pm wrote:For the performances against West Brom, Hull, Crystal Palace and now Stoke, and the way the team mentally gave up on 4th spot, I wouldn't be too surprised if Rodgers was sacked. But besides Klopp, who else could and would come in and lift the team and give some hope to the fanbase? I still don't think we have a chance to sign Klopp. The squad isn't as bad as it's playing right now. We have a good number of good young players. We need a proper striker, a CM and a CB. If we do well in the transfer market, I'm quite confident we could be in top 4 next season...

Well Mags, heres the thing... I dont think we'll sack Rodgers and to be perfectly honest to some extent I would understand the owners sticking with him. I think he completely screwed up this season with everything from recruitment (players sold+bought in), tactics (none of the formations have worked till game38), man management (Gerrard not getting a contract, Sterling saga), etc. but overall getting into the Europa league and reaching 2 semi finals COMBINED with almost winning the league last season will probably keep him in the job regardless of everything else.

Personally, I cant decide on whether I want him gone or not. I think hes a decent 'coach' and in 2 or 3 years I think he could become a top manager. With regards to who replaces him, I think theres more than 10 if not 20 names you could throw out there who would all be good shouts for the position.

My main issue with your post is this: you say 
The squad isn't as bad as it's playing right now. We have a good number of good young players.

I think the squad is as bad as I've ever seen it. I cant remember the last time a Liverpool side didnt have a single world class player. Gerrard and Sterling are both on their way out and that leaves Sturridge (injury prone) and Coutinho (very inconsistent) who are anywhere near being good enough to be valuable players in a top4 side. The top 4 sides all have at least 5 or 6 players who are better than ANYTHING we have at the club and bridging that is the main concern for me.

The only way to do it is through recruitment. Unfortunately, that seems to be Rodgers' weakest point. I'll agree that we dont necessarily need to go out and sign 4 players who are world class to get in the top 4. We saw what a difference 1 man did last season. We need two (3 if Sterling leaves) players of high quality to get back to being competitive and if we dont bring them in then the drop will likely continue next season and beyond.

I know the likes of Klopp, AVB, Rafa, Ancelotti, Mancini, etc. have the profile and -more importantly- willingness to go after big players, I think Rodgers would much rather sign low profile players who are easier to control. To a large extent that has been part of the reason for our failure in the market.
So it all comes down to this. Can/Will Rodgers go out and convince 2 or 3 top players to come into the club in the summer ? If the answer is no, sack him in the morning.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 24, 2015 9:27 pm

In times like these we as Liverpool supporters search frantically for a crumb of comfort ,but sifting through that wreckage with a forensic team would fail to reveal
the semblance of anything positive. I implore the people tasked with rectifying our rapid decline that they start first with ending the tenure of this vapid and utterly
obtuse / galling little Northern Irishman ,as I now find his merest association with this club frankly offensive.

If he had an ounce of humility he would resign ,and if he had an inkling of the definition of ' pride' he would swiftly present himself to his own sword. I'm personally
banking on FSG possessing enough collective intelligence to bring a quick end to our embarrassment ,I'm praying they feel the anguish of the fans before it evolves
into a fit of pique  that will prove nigh on impossible to suppress .

I don't for one solitary minute believe the collative at FSG will accept such failure ,I don't believe they will allow the time for Liverpool fans current and justifiable
anger at this season morphing painfully into disinterest for the next .

Let common sense prevail and rid us of this dissembler ,or lose all credibility by providing shelter for the less than ordinary.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundreamin is back » Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 pm

I can't believe people are still backing him.You know who you are. I would be careful what you say, if you told a Psychiatrist that you would be sectioned
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Dundreamin is back » Sun May 24, 2015 8:52 pm wrote:I can't believe people are still backing him.You know who you are. I would be careful what you say, if you told a Psychiatrist that you would be sectioned

In Fergusons first full season in charge at United he finished 2nd, the following year he finished 11th, the year after that they finished 13th, guess what, he had humiliating capitulations as well including a 5-1 demolition by City in the Manchester Derby (this was when City were shyte).
Even the best managers go through tough times, infact do you know who the last Liverpool manager to ship 6 goals was?
Bill Shankly.
Fans are too quick these days to call for people to be sacked, there are ups and downs in football, they are part of the game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun May 24, 2015 10:15 pm

BR has been found out this season.  All a bit emperors new clothes for me. I won't have a go at him as he were amazing last year under him however for me just shows how good a player Suarez is. No surprise he moves to Barca and they are on for the treble.

Looked like BR knew the game was up today.  6-1 against Stoke was unimaginable and BR looked like a rabbit caught in the head lights. Player's need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Quite obvious there are quite a lot of players on our book which are not of the required ability or mentality.
Doeboy

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun May 24, 2015 10:19 pm

If he went out and bought Reus and Lacazette in the morning I'd be willing to give him another year, but he won't, and we already know it's gonna be ings and milner and more disappointments.

He's incapable of bringing world class players to this club.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion