Who would you like to replace owen? - Debate on possible new strikers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:04 am

With Michael Owen;s departure from liverpool I have been feeling a little dismeyed at the prospect without his twenty goals this season. In a way I'm glad to see him go as last season liverpool were far to reliant on him to finish of the moves that were started from midfield. But I know his contribution will be missed? A lot of names have been thrown into the hat including Beattie, Saviola, Morientes and more. Who would you like to see fill his golden boots? Can Baros repeat his Euro 2004 form? Should we use an investment from Steve Morgan to chace Wayne Rooney? More foreigners or british based players? Or should we be more concerned about our defence? I await your views...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:08 am

Benitez is still eyeing up Mista and i think he really wants to get him to Liverpool. Deadly finisher who could fill the void left by Michael.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieRed » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:45 am

I feel that there is no need for a replacement till the winter window opens... Garcia was listed as a striker on the barca website so I assume that he could always play upfront as could Kewell. Benitez will wait till December and see how the squad is doing before making any signings!
AussieRed

Postby Dalglish » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:52 am

AussieRed wrote:I feel that there is no need for a replacement till the winter window opens... Garcia was listed as a striker on the barca website so I assume that he could always play upfront as could Kewell. Benitez will wait till December and see how the squad is doing before making any signings!

Agree withmuch iof what your saying there......The weight of expectation at Anfield can sometimes carry many fans away with thoughts of winning the title.(myself included)

Despite Benitez's success in his first season at Valencia the situation is very different at Liverpool. Whilst i'd be ecstatic if we challenge this season the reality is that Benitez is building a new team and will require time.

My initial reaction to your comments regadring buying in January was "Great...... If we wait that long we wil be out of the title race" The reality is we most likely won't challenge this season so waiting to see how the half a team Benitez has recruited (Josemi, Cisse, Garcia, Nunez and Alonso) fare at liverpool probably makes sensebefore rushing out and buying a "****** or bust " striker ........

Walk on ,.....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:55 am

Tevez, the more i see of him the better he gets.
The way he plays within a couple of years i believe he will be one of the best strikers in the world
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:12 am

jan koller: hes not the best technical player but he and baros had a great partner for baros in euro 04. he used his strength and height to break the ball for baros and scored a couple himself. wouldn't be too expensive either especially as dortmund are in financial difficulty. Please dont dismiss this idea by saying something stupid like ronaldo is better than koller(just an example), i'm just being realistic, we dont need another superstar(altho it would be nice), we just need someone to fill the gaps and score a few goals when needed.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:59 am

Thats where you're wrong. We've got Baros to fill the gaps.

We need a first 11 player. Preferably someone who's going to massively improve the team.

A drop off striker would be ideal (someone who plays in the whole.) Someone like Bergkamp, Reyes, Litmanen etc etc. Obviously a more realistic target but i'm talking style of player.

Maybe Garcia is this player. Hopefully Nunez is the answer on the right handside.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:13 am

Who would I LIKE to replace owen? 

Totti, Schvenchko, Henry, Horse-face, Ronaldo (the brazilian one), Rohnaldino, Mackaay, Van der Vart... any will do, now when are they arriving?  :D  :D  :D
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:29 am

saviola
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 am

Starbridge42 wrote:Who would I LIKE to replace owen? 

Totti, Schvenchko, Henry, Horse-face, Ronaldo (the brazilian one), Rohnaldino, Mackaay, Van der Vart... any will do, now when are they arriving?  :D  :D  :D

where's the money? are they willing to come?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:47 am

We need a poacher, someone who operates in the box like Robbie did, we have enough pace with Baros and Cisse but we need a preditor now :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:50 am

don't know whether it is a question of directly replacing Owen, as Cisse and Baros may fill the void he has left. We definitely need another striker though, to go through a long season you need 4 good strikers. All the top teams in Enlgland do, ManU, Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal. even teams like Boro do.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:55 am

I think Liverpool are missing a player with years of experience, all the top tema have an "elder statesman" who has been there and done that.  maybe getting someone like Shearer for a year would help.  But long term my money is on Cisse to become world class
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion