GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:08 am wrote: they don't expect the world in terms of wages either.

They won't when they sign but as soon as one of them has a good season or attracts the interest of someone else then they will get it. Look at the stupidity of the club in the summer giving both sterling and sturridge silly deals on the back of one season.

Another thing is that johnson just turned 30 and they have been dallying over his contract since he was 29. Is that now the age limit we get rid of players at ? 30 isn't exactly over the hill now is it.

If Johnson was putting in the sort of performances that warranted his huge wage, then I dare say we'd give him a new contract on his terms. But, he hasn't.

In fact, for £17.5 million, Johnson has been poor, poor, poor. In fact,I'd put him up there with Keane and Aquilani, as Rafa's biggest flops.

Oh come on now... I'm not johnson's biggest fan... But i remember johnson started out quite well. I think his first 2 seasons were decent and in one season, I believe he was one of our best performers... But now he is one of the worst...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:07 pm

To be fair to Rafa I seem to remember there was some sort of carry on with the deal.
I think Portsmouth owed us money from the Crouch deal and when they started to implode financially they phoned us up and told us that they weren't going to be able to pay us the money they owed, instead they offered us Johnson for £5m which was a bargain back then for a fairly high profile player in his mid 20's.
I don't think we were particularly looking for a right back at the time but the club was backed into a bit of a corner, I think the powers that be at Anfield eventually thought f**k it we aren't getting the Crouch money back whatever happens so we may as well try to make the most of a bad situation and sign this lad for a nominal fee.
We did technically pay Portsmouth £17m for Johnson but the club was sort of shanghaied into the deal.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Glen Johnson facing a long lay-off after tearing his groin v United. Will miss entire festive schedule.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 am

Oh no :(

Brendan Rodgers has intervened in Glen Johnson’s contract stand-off with Liverpool to declare he wishes to keep the England defender.

The 30-year-old is a free agent this summer and eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club this month, having resisted Liverpool's offer of a short-term extension on terms reduced from his £120,000-a-week wage.

Liverpool’s offer was made late last season but Johnson wanted a longer-term deal and said in November that he was “not going to go crawling to anybody”.

An impasse remains between the two parties but Rodgers has hinted at a resolution, saying: “There is nothing new as yet but I am hopeful he will stay and hopeful that we can find a solution and keep him here."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Hopefully Johnson stands his ground and is gone sooner rather than later....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:18 pm

He's not going to get £120k a week and will be as good as gone at the end of the season.

Will probably play abroad, like Cashley Cole
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Must admit he hasn't been missed BUT as he's always looked better going forward than defending I'd be interested to see how he fare in our 3-4-3 system.

I'm assuming of course that Rodgers wouldn't be daft enough to play him in the back three  :wwww

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Think it's time to let him go - if he was going to be injury free then might be worth a short term extension ( on a lot lower wages ) as he would fit into the new formation but just can't see to string two games together without breaking down
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby only me » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 pm

cardiff-red » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:11 am wrote:Oh no :(

Brendan Rodgers has intervened in Glen Johnson’s contract stand-off with Liverpool to declare he wishes to keep the England defender.

The 30-year-old is a free agent this summer and eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club this month, having resisted Liverpool's offer of a short-term extension on terms reduced from his £120,000-a-week wage.

Liverpool’s offer was made late last season but Johnson wanted a longer-term deal and said in November that he was “not going to go crawling to anybody”.

An impasse remains between the two parties but Rodgers has hinted at a resolution, saying: “There is nothing new as yet but I am hopeful he will stay and hopeful that we can find a solution and keep him here."

BR should be stripped of all player selection powers he clearly has no idea....Next he will ask for Ryan bubble to be signed...insanity asking for his signing ...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:31 am

Johnson's upset because he's been demoted hence offering him half the wages. Copied from the BR thread:

(Extending Johnson's contract )... tells me 2 'positive' things:

1. It's cheaper to renew Johnson's contract for 12 months than to buy in a replacement RB, and
2. He thinks the new lads (Can etc..) are good enough but need another 12 months cover from an experienced 30 year old as insurance.

Clever lad is our BR.  :ghostface:

Sometimes it's not about the player but simply juggling the squad.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:48 am

Reg » Jan 24th, '15, 03:31 wrote:Johnson's upset because he's been demoted hence offering him half the wages. Copied from the BR thread:

(Extending Johnson's contract )... tells me 2 'positive' things:

1. It's cheaper to renew Johnson's contract for 12 months than to buy in a replacement RB, and
2. He thinks the new lads (Can etc..) are good enough but need another 12 months cover from an experienced 30 year old as insurance.

Clever lad is our BR.  :ghostface:

Sometimes it's not about the player but simply juggling the squad.

Experience, what experience? how does it help LFC when the player can't even be bothered, lacks desire and abilty.....
Last edited by Kash_Mountain on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:10 am

I think this vine sums up Mr Johnson perfectly

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264hi ... tPn65iFXz1
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:27 pm

That's criminal I agree, there is no defence of that, yes he is bl**dy annoying.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Apparently, those rumors about him signing a new contract are true, a 3-year deal by the looks of it.

If I ever be offered the chance to know the answer to anything in the entire universe, I'll ask why does Brendan rate Johnson so much. You can't even make a 2 minute youtube highlight video with him ffs! Unless it's with the kind of stuff CR posted above. Reduced wages or not, his time in LFC should be over!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:10 am wrote:Apparently, those rumors about him signing a new contract are true, a 3-year deal by the looks of it.

If I ever be offered the chance to know the answer to anything in the entire universe, I'll ask why does Brendan rate Johnson so much. You can't even make a 2 minute youtube highlight video with him ffs! Unless it's with the kind of stuff CR posted above. Reduced wages or not, his time in LFC should be over!

I think Johnson gets unfairly criticised sometimes and even when he's done okay you'll get fans saying that he's had a nightmare etc but even I'm struggling to see the logic in this one.
Brendan should be looking to the future (Can, Sakho, Moreno, Manquillo, Ilorri etc) not the past.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion