Gerrard for fifa world player of the year? - Player of the year 2005

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Houllier=LFC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Thread diggers  :D
Houllier=LFC

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:06 pm

The whole shortlist is a joke. How the hell are there so many milan and manure players in there? What did they win last season?

Also, what the hell has Jay Jay Okocha done to warrant a place on that list? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:11 pm

The list is a joke and yet another sign that football is going down a celbristh b*llsh*t slide. I haven't seen the full list but I know that SG and Beckham were both nominated. SG was fairly poor last season, he said that himself. Beckham is average but has fancy hair (Rio must be kicking himself).

Lampard and Terry both deserve to be on the list. Was Cech on it? he should be.

Everyone knows Carra was our best player but he doesn't have the SG hype as Carra isn't a regular for England.

Football is becoming a joke.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Big Niall wrote:The list is a joke and yet another sign that football is going down a celbristh b*llsh*t slide. I haven't seen the full list but I know that SG and Beckham were both nominated. SG was fairly poor last season, he said that himself. Beckham is average but has fancy hair (Rio must be kicking himself).

Lampard and Terry both deserve to be on the list. Was Cech on it? he should be.

Everyone knows Carra was our best player but he doesn't have the SG hype as Carra isn't a regular for England.

Football is becoming a joke.

The shortlist (or longlist :D ) is a joke.
People like Beckham and Okocha are being picked on name alone.
Nigeria havent even qualified for the world cup...and Okocha didn't have a good season for Bolton.
But Stevie deserves to be there imo.
I know he was inconsistent in the league and i also know that Carragher was our player of the year by a mile.
But in the biggest football match of last season when 3-0 down against the massive favourites Gerrard scored a goal...got the players going again and then won the vital penalty.
Carragher should be up there for the award as well...thats obvious to Liverpool supporters but he doesnt get the publicity that Stevie gets.
I hope that Stevie wins the award...and i think he will.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Having Drogba in there reminds me of when Pele named his top 100 World Football Legends and included El-Hadji Diouf. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:Having Drogba in there reminds me of when Pele named his top 100 World Football Legends and included El-Hadji Diouf. :D

Haha i forgot about that, he is really knowledgeable when he talks football.

Colombia will win the world cup....before USA 94  :D

CLASSIC!

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:01 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
stmichael wrote:Having Drogba in there reminds me of when Pele named his top 100 World Football Legends and included El-Hadji Diouf. :D

Haha i forgot about that, he is really knowledgeable when he talks football.

Colombia will win the world cup....before USA 94  :D

CLASSIC!

and not only that. they went out in the group due to an own goal and the guy who scored it subsequently got shot when he returned home.

pablo escobar can't be dead though as he's a member of this forum. :oops:  :D

pele's best one was claiming that "an african team will win the world cup before before the millenium". well not only was he blatantly wrong, he's now got to rely on the mighty togo and angola if they're going to win it at all. :laugh:
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:15 pm

For me Pele was at his dumbest when he said that Argentina, England and France would ALL go far in the last world cup. It wasn't possible for all three to get to the quarters.

Anyway, back to the topic. How does one good half against Milan get a best in the world award. Get a clue.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 pm

Big Niall wrote:For me Pele was at his dumbest when he said that Argentina, England and France would ALL go far in the last world cup. It wasn't possible for all three to get to the quarters.

Anyway, back to the topic. How does one good half against Milan get a best in the world award. Get a clue.

Seen as it is the Champions league final we were 3 down and it could and probably should of been more. I think that his inclusion makes sense.
And if you think that he done nothing else in the season then imo your are wrong.
He wasn't consistent i will go with that, but he scored a cracker to seal the comeback against Olympiakos, an unbelievable goal at home to Middlesbrough...and his double in the qualifiers (when he was denied a hat-trick) actually got us through that round.
I am not saying he was the best player last year...but he deserves to be in there...and the way the voting usually works he has a very good chance of taking the award.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:32 pm

We all know these lists/awards just roll out the usual suspects year in year out. These awards pay little attention to form and tend to rely on reputation and status alone. We all know, and Stevie knows too that he was not at the races last season. Saying that, i'll still be chuffed to bits if he wins it.

I mean can you imagine it; World player of the year 'Frank Wankard'. It's a bad dream.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:30 am

Gerrard has a good shout as no player really excelled last year. Most people have seen the CL final, and would base their vote on major competitions which last year there was only really CL. Ronaldinho will probably win because lets face it, he is the best footballer. Get him to play goalie and he will do great.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion