Pfa player of year - Gerrard up for main award

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anti-hero » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 pm

Where's Sissoko?
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:24 am

NiftyNeil wrote:I can't believe that Carragher hasn't been nominated for PFA player of the year. The guy hasn't had one bad game this year.
The nominees: 
Joe Cole - couldn't get a game for the first few months of the season.
John Terry - not at the same level he was last year
Terry Henry - disappears in away fixtures
Frank Lampard - can't argue with his nomination
Wayne Rooney - ditto
Steven Gerrard - a good season, but not Liverpool's player of the season IMO

I think when these players must be voting, most of them go for the easy choice, instead of really thinking about it. It's the same with the media voting too, you'll probably get the same nominees.

You cant argue with lampard being there and Henry doesnt  ???  ??? Wot games you been watching

I agree with yout that Carra should be there and Momo should be in for the young player of the year.

Still can't understand how Joe Cole is thre if he isnt even a first team regular.Surely someone like Bellamy or Gamst Pedersen or Noaln should be there instead.
Last edited by H_K_LFC on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 am

NiftyNeil wrote:Frank Lampard - can't argue with his nomination

i can. the guy's done virtually nothing since christmas. as soon as chelsea start struggling he goes missing.

imo kevin nolan has had a better season than lampard. he just doesn't get the recognition because he doesn't play for a team who are the darlings of the media.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:20 am

I think it's a cert that fat b*stard Spooney will win the thing, owing to the fact that he'll eat the players who don't vote for him.

Of the nominees, I can't see how anyone thinks that Shrek deserves the award more than Stevie G.

Gerrard has 19 goals from midfield this season, and although Spooney is a top player (and a right w*nker), he is NOT up to Stevie's standards. No way, no how.

We got further in Europe, and are in the FA Cup semis for feck's sake.

If fat Frank wins it, then the players who voted for the tubby-tw*t need a bullet.

There - that's my take on it.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 am

That was strange that King Carra didn't get a run.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 pm

To be fair that Terry Henry aint done too bad. But is this award for just the Prem, or does it include Europe as well?

Also agree with the Lampard situation, dont think he has produced.

Terry rightly so up there i think.

But for all the magical things he does I do feel Rooney goes missing sometimes.

Suprised Renia isn't up there either, with like 30 odd clean sheets.

But I would just love Stevie G to win it.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 am

the reason sissoko isn't there is cos it the voting was done in january. but the bias towards english players is blatant in both categories. Joe cole? Anton ferdinand? Ronaldo's form this season has only improved lately. Before march he was :censored:. Carra's absence from the shortlist is a joke  :angry:
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:25 am

Rooney should get Young Player Of The Year.

And Burberry will give Coleen the "Chav Shopper Of The Year" award.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby winboy72 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:44 am

i think it will be a cheals play but jamie carragher should be in short list he had a great season:blues:
winboy72

Postby Garymac » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

So i take it ast least 5 of these 6 was nominated last year?

Lampard has been nominated for his 1st 3 months of the season, since then, fu*k all, Cole, id say the same, And im gutted for Nolan, thought he was a banker for a nomination, but i guess it goes by who you play for.

Think Sissoko should get a nomination but Darren Bent has to get young player, 20+ goals in a charlton team in his 1st season in the prem, he deserves it, they would have been fu*ked without him.

Either Henry or Rooney for the main award, And i think even Gerrard would say Carragher should have got the nod aghead of him or even Terry for that matter.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Crouchamania » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:01 pm

how can u have someone like gayboy joe cole in there ahead of carra and i swear if fat frank finishes higher than gerrard then so help me god

gerrard 1st
henry 2nd
rooney3rd

thats my opinion anyway
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:47 am

Frank Lampard is overrated.

In the same way that no one seems to be able to stand up and say, “That band - The Streets – it’s just a bloke talking yeh? But that’s :censored:!” I very rarely hear little said against the Chelsea man. 

For me, there should only be one name on the trophy this year, and that is Steven Gerrard.

Let’s look at the evidence.  Gerrard’s season began all the way back in July of last year when he single-handedly carried the Reds through to the group stages of the champions league, easily becoming Liverpool’s most prolific and dependable scorer and player during the early rounds.  And since then his performances have rarely wavered.  This high level has been maintained over a marathon season that has already taken in over 50 games this season – way more than any of the other contenders.

The Liverpool skipper has scored his highest number of goals in a season, even though playing the majority of his games out on the right of midfield.  Add to that the inspiration he has given to the side, the drive, the tenacity, the passing, the shooting, the tackling and no one can really compare in terms of consistency, adaptability and all action performances.

Before you blues start spitting blood all over your computer screen, let’s try and gain some perspective. 

Joe Cole has undoubtedly had his best season ever, but he is so in and out of the Chelsea first team it seems unfair to reward him with the top honour.  He like Lampard also lacks the influence that Gerrard has and the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

John Terry has been at his commanding best – but as good as last year? I think not.  As defenders, I think Messrs Carragher, King and Dawson could feel a little aggrieved at not getting some sort of recognition.

Thierry Henry has played half a season - ok it’s been an impressive half – but again, this award should be judged over the year.  Also, Arsenal have been so awful at times that most of the talk was of the absent Vieira rather than their new captain. 

Wayne Rooney - a worthy challenger indeed.  The Manchester United striker is a revelation.  Some times he looks completely unplayable and is rightly included in this list.  His all round play over the year has been superb, particularly in the big games, so I wouldn’t feel too aggrieved if he were to win.

So that leaves Mr Lampard.  YES he’s scored lots of goals (but so would anybody if they had at least 10 shots a game and a monopoly on dead ball situations), YES he plays all the time but at the same time – could he play right wing and be as effective? Or right back? Left back even? Gerrard could, and has. 

Who could forget his performance in Istanbul last year when the Liverpool skipper was playing at right back but regularly popped up all over the pitch – eager to spur his team on to glory.

I wonder if Frank would have. Where was he against Barcelona in the Champions League this year? (Answers on a postcard please.)  He is a good player – don’t get me wrong – but as this season draws on, you can see that he has almost played too much football.  He is starting to look a bit worn down, where as Gerrard can still be seen marauding and terrorising at grounds all over the country.

So let the bias chants start, but opinions are opinions and freedom of speech is what it is.  I may of even helped to give you all something to debate about in the Pub tonight – other than the validity of the Streets.

Before I finish, I would also like to give an honourable mention to the following players who didn’t make the list but are most worthy of a mention; the afore mentioned Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ledley King and Matt Dawson (both Tottenham), Henrik Pedersen (Blackburn) and Kevin Nolan (Bolton).
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Crouchamania » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:11 pm

couldnt agree with you more bavlondon imo Frank would be last of the six. Alonso is better than Lampard let alone Gerrard is
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:31 pm

It's a tough one to call this year. The two front runners are Gerrard and Rooney for me. Gerrard has been absolute dynamite season and 19 goals from midfield is phenomenal. I think Rooney will probably just shade it though. The lad is only behind Henry and Ronaldinho among the strikers in the world for me. Henry has been pretty hot and cold plus Arsenal's form has been indifferent this year so i don't think he deserves it this time around. Joe Cole has been excellent but you feel his inclusion is much to do with the reputaion he has carried for so long and the idea that he has finally 'come good' (which he has) but he simply hasn't been the best player in the league. On Lampard i think the guy fully deserves to be in the running. He's just scored his 20th league goal! and along with Terry he is the most important player in the team that is about to win the league. I know he is not the most popular player in the country and it seems to be 'trendy' to say he is actually cra.p. To say he is just an average player who's lucky to be playing for Chelsea and gets all his goals from lucky free kicks is foolish. Trying not to sound like a Chelsea fan here (failing - i know!) but Lampard tackles, has probably the best engine in the league, is agood passer, times his runs brilliantly, takes better set-pieces than anyone in the EPL and is a fantastic finisher. He's not been the best in the country this year but is in there on merit IMO.

I reckon the voting will go

1- Rooney
2- Gerrard
3- Lampard
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:07 am

bavlondon wrote:Frank Lampard is overrated.

In the same way that no one seems to be able to stand up and say, “That band - The Streets – it’s just a bloke talking yeh? But that’s :censored:!” I very rarely hear little said against the Chelsea man. 

For me, there should only be one name on the trophy this year, and that is Steven Gerrard.

Let’s look at the evidence.  Gerrard’s season began all the way back in July of last year when he single-handedly carried the Reds through to the group stages of the champions league, easily becoming Liverpool’s most prolific and dependable scorer and player during the early rounds.  And since then his performances have rarely wavered.  This high level has been maintained over a marathon season that has already taken in over 50 games this season – way more than any of the other contenders.

The Liverpool skipper has scored his highest number of goals in a season, even though playing the majority of his games out on the right of midfield.  Add to that the inspiration he has given to the side, the drive, the tenacity, the passing, the shooting, the tackling and no one can really compare in terms of consistency, adaptability and all action performances.

Before you blues start spitting blood all over your computer screen, let’s try and gain some perspective. 

Joe Cole has undoubtedly had his best season ever, but he is so in and out of the Chelsea first team it seems unfair to reward him with the top honour.  He like Lampard also lacks the influence that Gerrard has and the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

John Terry has been at his commanding best – but as good as last year? I think not.  As defenders, I think Messrs Carragher, King and Dawson could feel a little aggrieved at not getting some sort of recognition.

Thierry Henry has played half a season - ok it’s been an impressive half – but again, this award should be judged over the year.  Also, Arsenal have been so awful at times that most of the talk was of the absent Vieira rather than their new captain. 

Wayne Rooney - a worthy challenger indeed.  The Manchester United striker is a revelation.  Some times he looks completely unplayable and is rightly included in this list.  His all round play over the year has been superb, particularly in the big games, so I wouldn’t feel too aggrieved if he were to win.

So that leaves Mr Lampard.  YES he’s scored lots of goals (but so would anybody if they had at least 10 shots a game and a monopoly on dead ball situations), YES he plays all the time but at the same time – could he play right wing and be as effective? Or right back? Left back even? Gerrard could, and has. 

Who could forget his performance in Istanbul last year when the Liverpool skipper was playing at right back but regularly popped up all over the pitch – eager to spur his team on to glory.

I wonder if Frank would have. Where was he against Barcelona in the Champions League this year? (Answers on a postcard please.)  He is a good player – don’t get me wrong – but as this season draws on, you can see that he has almost played too much football.  He is starting to look a bit worn down, where as Gerrard can still be seen marauding and terrorising at grounds all over the country.

So let the bias chants start, but opinions are opinions and freedom of speech is what it is.  I may of even helped to give you all something to debate about in the Pub tonight – other than the validity of the Streets.

Before I finish, I would also like to give an honourable mention to the following players who didn’t make the list but are most worthy of a mention; the afore mentioned Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ledley King and Matt Dawson (both Tottenham), Henrik Pedersen (Blackburn) and Kevin Nolan (Bolton).

bav london,

could you tell me where you got this article from?

thanks

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion