Pfa player of year - Gerrard up for main award

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bng89 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:28 am

Lampard is sh*t. Gerrard is 10 times the player Lampard is.

Sissoko should be young player of the year. He has had a great season and isn't even listed :angry:
Liverpool FC 1892
bng89

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:11 am

babu wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Frank Lampard is overrated.

In the same way that no one seems to be able to stand up and say, “That band - The Streets – it’s just a bloke talking yeh? But that’s :censored:!” I very rarely hear little said against the Chelsea man. 

For me, there should only be one name on the trophy this year, and that is Steven Gerrard.

Let’s look at the evidence.  Gerrard’s season began all the way back in July of last year when he single-handedly carried the Reds through to the group stages of the champions league, easily becoming Liverpool’s most prolific and dependable scorer and player during the early rounds.  And since then his performances have rarely wavered.  This high level has been maintained over a marathon season that has already taken in over 50 games this season – way more than any of the other contenders.

The Liverpool skipper has scored his highest number of goals in a season, even though playing the majority of his games out on the right of midfield.  Add to that the inspiration he has given to the side, the drive, the tenacity, the passing, the shooting, the tackling and no one can really compare in terms of consistency, adaptability and all action performances.

Before you blues start spitting blood all over your computer screen, let’s try and gain some perspective. 

Joe Cole has undoubtedly had his best season ever, but he is so in and out of the Chelsea first team it seems unfair to reward him with the top honour.  He like Lampard also lacks the influence that Gerrard has and the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

John Terry has been at his commanding best – but as good as last year? I think not.  As defenders, I think Messrs Carragher, King and Dawson could feel a little aggrieved at not getting some sort of recognition.

Thierry Henry has played half a season - ok it’s been an impressive half – but again, this award should be judged over the year.  Also, Arsenal have been so awful at times that most of the talk was of the absent Vieira rather than their new captain. 

Wayne Rooney - a worthy challenger indeed.  The Manchester United striker is a revelation.  Some times he looks completely unplayable and is rightly included in this list.  His all round play over the year has been superb, particularly in the big games, so I wouldn’t feel too aggrieved if he were to win.

So that leaves Mr Lampard.  YES he’s scored lots of goals (but so would anybody if they had at least 10 shots a game and a monopoly on dead ball situations), YES he plays all the time but at the same time – could he play right wing and be as effective? Or right back? Left back even? Gerrard could, and has. 

Who could forget his performance in Istanbul last year when the Liverpool skipper was playing at right back but regularly popped up all over the pitch – eager to spur his team on to glory.

I wonder if Frank would have. Where was he against Barcelona in the Champions League this year? (Answers on a postcard please.)  He is a good player – don’t get me wrong – but as this season draws on, you can see that he has almost played too much football.  He is starting to look a bit worn down, where as Gerrard can still be seen marauding and terrorising at grounds all over the country.

So let the bias chants start, but opinions are opinions and freedom of speech is what it is.  I may of even helped to give you all something to debate about in the Pub tonight – other than the validity of the Streets.

Before I finish, I would also like to give an honourable mention to the following players who didn’t make the list but are most worthy of a mention; the afore mentioned Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ledley King and Matt Dawson (both Tottenham), Henrik Pedersen (Blackburn) and Kevin Nolan (Bolton).

bav london,

could you tell me where you got this article from?

thanks

Cant remember, the links gone now
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion