Gerrard for fifa world player of the year? - Player of the year 2005

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 pm

mramo wrote:ok - will you all (personally) buy me free drinks if he wins the award??

No , you're drunk enough already .   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 pm

skipper wrote:Footballer of year isnt based on just a few great goals.  Gerrard's goals against olympiakos, middlesbrough, and AC Milan were impressive, but he was inconsistent during many matches last season.  You have to be consistent and occasionally very outstanding to win awards.  I expect ronaldihno to win it again this year.

i watched a lot of barca last year because they and madrid were on sky basically every week and ronaldinho wasnt their most consistent player by any stretch of the imagination, and i didnt think it was eto either i thought it was puyol.
but like most of these phoney awards they usually go to players with big profile`s worldwide hence beckhams name always being tossed thrown into the mix.
i think gerrard might win it because he is the face of liverpool to a global audience, is a rising star in the world game, scored important and memorable goals and led the fightback in the most memorable final since real madrid trounced eintracht frankfurt nearly half a century ago.
fifa might give it to gerrard because the final had such a big impact worldwide. minor details like consistency dont worry fifa, if a totally unknown player deserved it he wouldnt get it because fifa like to have the big names at their back slapping shindigs. the final propelled gerrard onto the big name table.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby muttleyp » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Gerrard definitley wont win it as he was very incosistent and not anywhere near our best player of the season let alone world player of the year. If he played with the consitency that people like Carragher and Finnan then he might have had a chance. But to be honest i think its going to ronaldinho or maybe Kaka.
Lets just hope he plays well enough this season to warrant a nomination for the following year.
muttleyp

Postby skipper » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:28 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
skipper wrote:Footballer of year isnt based on just a few great goals.  Gerrard's goals against olympiakos, middlesbrough, and AC Milan were impressive, but he was inconsistent during many matches last season.  You have to be consistent and occasionally very outstanding to win awards.  I expect ronaldihno to win it again this year.

i watched a lot of barca last year because they and madrid were on sky basically every week and ronaldinho wasnt their most consistent player by any stretch of the imagination, and i didnt think it was eto either i thought it was puyol.
but like most of these phoney awards they usually go to players with big profile`s worldwide hence beckhams name always being tossed thrown into the mix.
i think gerrard might win it because he is the face of liverpool to a global audience, is a rising star in the world game, scored important and memorable goals and led the fightback in the most memorable final since real madrid trounced eintracht frankfurt nearly half a century ago.
fifa might give it to gerrard because the final had such a big impact worldwide. minor details like consistency dont worry fifa, if a totally unknown player deserved it he wouldnt get it because fifa like to have the big names at their back slapping shindigs. the final propelled gerrard onto the big name table.

You are right.

Just like you said.  FIFA only wants the big named players. I said ronaldinho would win because he's the big name player on the big team even though puyol outperformed him.  When not-so-famous players make big plays for any team, FIFA would ignore them because they arent famous like beckham. It's a shame really because carra should be nominated and win the award because he was very consistent and hard working.  He outperformed gerrard, but if any liverpool player gets nominated, it will be gerrard.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 pm

skipper wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:

You are right.

Just like you said.  FIFA only wants the big named players. I said ronaldinho would win because he's the big name player on the big team even though puyol outperformed him.  When not-so-famous players make big plays for any team, FIFA would ignore them because they arent famous like beckham. It's a shame really because carra should be nominated and win the award because he was very consistent and hard working.  He outperformed gerrard, but if any liverpool player gets nominated, it will be gerrard.

i think we`re both singing from the same hymnbook on this one skipper.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby MCYan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Definitely not Stevie G. I would even go for Carra before him. True that he scored some important goals for us and he is the leader of our team, but he was very inconsistent last season. The contract talks he had with us made it worse. He is not gonna get the world footballer of the year for sure!
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Good point.  Carra definitely was our best player, but he wont get nominated.  These awards are sometimes phony.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:47 pm

We sure are, yckatbjywtbiastkamb, and it's the right hymnbook.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:18 am

People can knock the thread all they like, and the reasons may seem valid.
Gerrards form was patchy last season, and Carra was far and away our star performer.
BUT that makes no difference, i think Steven will win it because he was skipper of the European champions, he led the fightback, and also scored the important third against Olympiakos.
The people who vote dont watch each individual side week in week out, they read papers that overhype popular players (gerrard being one of them) and they see some flashy but important goals scored by these players and there goes the vote.
We all know he was nowhere near world player of the year last year, but dont bet against him winning it.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Yes European sounds more likely. If he were to do something good on the international stage also then maybe hed be in with a chance.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kops_revolution » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:42 pm

To be a Fifa world player of the year need to consider the player performance and achievement in his club and the country. Gerrard did well and help Liv to win champ league but the poor run in premier league does not help him to win that...
By the way, i do really hope Gerrard can win the fifa world player of the year.
kops_revolution

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:24 pm

He doesnt deserve it this year. He wasnt eve liverpools best player, i rate him 3rd

1st: Carragher
2nd: Alonso
3rd: Gerrard
4th: Garcia
5th: Baros

I did rate him 4th, but i remembered how much work he actually does.

I would like to see him and carragher nominated at least. Carragher was amazing last season.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:53 pm

SG : World Player of the Year  :talktothehand

get out of the skies, you jokes!
109-1093441336

Postby mramo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:09 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150256051013-1442.htm
mramo

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:34 pm

I think he is in with a very good chance, he was captain of the Champions league winners and did inspire the 2nd half fightback.
I agree that Carragher was by a mile our player of the year but realistically the voters will go with the skipper..especailly when they have only seen brief highlights of our games.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion