Five major additions needed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:06 pm

Yes because Walter Samuel isn't going to cost alot of money and would be willing to play for Liverpool.

Get real.

Why didn't you suggest Schevchenko as a partner for Owen and Zidane for the middle to play with Stevey.

While we're at it why don't we just sign Nesta and Beckham aswell. We'll be able to challenge then.

And stop mentioning Dawson for christs sake. He's not in a million years better than Henchoz. He's a good prospect, in a few years he might be class but he has a long way to go.

Some people!!!  ???
115-1073096938

Postby DrLiverpool » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:17 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Yes because Walter Samuel isn't going to cost alot of money and would be willing to play for Liverpool.

Get real.

Why didn't you suggest Schevchenko as a partner for Owen and Zidane for the middle to play with Stevey.

While we're at it why don't we just sign Nesta and Beckham aswell. We'll be able to challenge then.

And stop mentioning Dawson for christs sake. He's not in a million years better than Henchoz. He's a good prospect, in a few years he might be class but he has a long way to go.

Some people!!!  ???

I completely agree with stu here.

Liverpool wont be able to get samuel or sagnol or makaay or tristan for that matter. Neither of these players are willing to leave their clubs. Nor could we afford their price tags or wages.

Roma will be allowed purchase players and will have a stable financial status if they qualify for CL this year. Last year they couldnt get chivu so they had to loan him.

I dont know where this idea that there will be a massive class clearout at bayern this summer. Why ?
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Stu,you have the gall to criticise fans for making suggestions of possible targets and the credentials of those targets and then come out in full praise of a manager who claims we have the new Zidane...Cheyrou,we have Biscan,who will one day be a class centre-half,thinks paying £10 million for a forward and then trying to turn him into a midfield player is clever,a manager who has wasted money left,right and centre.If he was stockbroker the man would be redundant by now,the amount of deprecciation he has earned on our stock of players.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby daddyo » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:05 pm

JBG-top post. You aint a million miles off the mark with what you identify as our deficiencies. It's not nuclear physics to figure we need to make some changes. I also believe that whilst we are not having a great season we are not as bad as some (fans) would have you believe. The areas mentioned all need work and ultimately changes. The personnel involved however is always going to be subject to conjecture. Why do some folk think that we will get some of the big names mentioned in some of the subsequent posts? Guys like Walter Samuel, Diego Tristan,Shevchenko etc. YOOOO HOOOOO!! Wake up guys-IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! Those kind of players will not consider Liverpol as a destination for their talents. That is how far off the pace we have fallen. Step forward Mr.Houllier.
daddyo

Postby bedlovedays » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:39 am

Makaay.....now you are talking......
Makaay alongside Owen,, with Baros and Pognolle in reserve,,,,,,,
now that is a strong front,,,,,,,
bedlovedays

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:05 am

I sometimes think that some people here haven't a clue about European football.

On the one hand there is absolutely no hope of the likes of Shevchenko or Zidanne (any of what the Spanish call "Galacticos") joining the likes of Liverpool. Suggesting otherwise is preposterus. Hell, Chelsea, even with all their money, are having trouble attracting the top bracket players.

However, people who dismiss ideas of the likes of Walter Samuel, Diego Tristan and Willie Sagnol being signed by Liverpool are also wide of the mark as well and underestimate the pulling power of the Premiership.

Diego Tristan was one of the rising stars of European football a couple of years ago but this season he has struggled with injuries and has lost his place at Deportivo to Walter Pandiani. He could regain his form and get back into the la Coruna team, but if he doesn't there is a fair chance that he would leave Spain in the summer. I'm not saying that he would sign for Liverpool if he left but what I am saying is that his star has dipped lately and him going to the Premiership is not that unrealistic.

Spurs signed Jurgen Klinsman remember: don't underestimate the power of the Pound in European football.

Walter Samuel is a decent centre back at Roma but is hardly in the Nesta bracket. Roma are in serious financial difficulty and it will need more than CL football to fix it, and they will probably have to trim their squad in the summer. I'm not a huge fan of Samuel (Heskey gave him the run a round in 2001 and 2002) but he's not an entirely unrealistic transfer target.

I'm tired of hearing people say such and such will never come to us. We will never be able to sign the Galacticos but Liverpool can pay guys big wages and that counts for an awful lot.

There is this obsession in England that if you are a star in a foreign league then you are elevated up onto a pedestal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion