A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy c legs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 am

I wouldn't change the defence now - especially after those 6 clean away sheets. Keep Can there. Also a lot of credit must go to Mig. He's been awesome since coming back - very rarely has he slipped back into his MR Indecisive mode. He's actually punching balls away now and for some strange reason I actually don't feel so nervous when we concede a corner (but that could easily change!) A big part to in our recent meaness is in no small measure down to the midfielders in front of them - Lucas/Allen/ Hendo (and Stevie too) have been quite dilligent in trying to keep the opposition away. Even Lovren has come in and tried to at least look like the player we thought he was. No need to change - at all. If only we had that defence last season.. :;):
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:42 am

I'm interested in hearing what peoples views are on WHY we have turned into such an accomplished defensive unit? It's an unbelievable turnaround and if I'm honest, it's one I never saw us making under Rodgers. I've go t a few thoughts but I'd be interested to hear a few more

-  I wanted to say we have got a settled back three with Skrtel, Sakho and Can but then I realised we have been just as tight defensively (for the most part) with players like Toure and Lovren also playing so it isn't just down to continuity.

- Skrtel is playing in his best position as the deepest of the three. He has always looked a little uncomfortable playing a high line in flat back four. Think back to his best season (the year we went to both finals under Kenny) when he was 2nd only to Kompany in the EPL I'm my opinion, he is replica ting that form this season.

- We're not so gung-ho since the switch to three at the back, as Debs said in the lost above, it's a more measured approach, our pressing game is not quite so kamikaze and instead of two full-backs bombing up the pitch and one holding midfielder, we've now got 2 middies that are effectively sitting and providing some genuine protection to the defence.

- But what has happened to all the ball watching? The poor marking at set pieces? The failure compete for headers? The lads are throwing their bodies on the line, blocking shots, tracking runners, chasing back, jockeying, staying on their feet. You name it they're doing it. I just don't know where it's come from. It's bloody brilliant though!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 am

andy c legs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32 pm wrote:I wouldn't change the defence now - especially after those 6 clean away sheets. Keep Can there. Also a lot of credit must go to Mig. He's been awesome since coming back - very rarely has he slipped back into his MR Indecisive mode. He's actually punching balls away now and for some strange reason I actually don't feel so nervous when we concede a corner (but that could easily change!) A big part to in our recent meaness is in no small measure down to the midfielders in front of them - Lucas/Allen/ Hendo (and Stevie too) have been quite dilligent in trying to keep the opposition away. Even Lovren has come in and tried to at least look like the player we thought he was. No need to change - at all. If only we had that defence last season.. :;):

I think a lot of credit has to go to Can. He seems to have brought Skrtel and Sakho together, which means the defence works as a unit, instead of headless chickens. And as you say, if we had these guys last season, then we'd have wrapped up the league by March...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Scottbot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:42 am wrote:I'm interested in hearing what peoples views are on WHY we have turned into such an accomplished defensive unit? It's an unbelievable turnaround and if I'm honest, it's one I never saw us making under Rodgers. I've go t a few thoughts but I'd be interested to hear a few more

-  I wanted to say we have got a settled back three with Skrtel, Sakho and Can but then I realised we have been just as tight defensively (for the most part) with players like Toure and Lovren also playing so it isn't just down to continuity.

- Skrtel is playing in his best position as the deepest of the three. He has always looked a little uncomfortable playing a high line in flat back four. Think back to his best season (the year we went to both finals under Kenny) when he was 2nd only to Kompany in the EPL I'm my opinion, he is replica ting that form this season.

- We're not so gung-ho since the switch to three at the back, as Debs said in the lost above, it's a more measured approach, our pressing game is not quite so kamikaze and instead of two full-backs bombing up the pitch and one holding midfielder, we've now got 2 middies that are effectively sitting and providing some genuine protection to the defence.

- But what has happened to all the ball watching? The poor marking at set pieces? The failure compete for headers? The lads are throwing their bodies on the line, blocking shots, tracking runners, chasing back, jockeying, staying on their feet. You name it they're doing it. I just don't know where it's come from. It's bloody brilliant though!

I always said that the problem in our defense was tactical rather than the player's lack of ability. That's why I said in the summer that there's no need for Lovren whatsoever and that we needed tactical changes and not change of personal (which is why I thought we needed a new defensive coach). Changing the system with 3 at the back was a good call alright, but another major reason for our good defense is the protection we now get from the midfield. Moving Gerrard further forward and bringing in Lucas was probably even more important than the introduction of Can, Sakho and the new formation with 3 at the back. Like it or not Gerrard was a huge defensive liability (still is). A good example of this is the Leicester game, when we played 3 at the back but with Stevie in midfield, we never had any control in that game (and dropped points because of it). A more recent but not so bad example is the Spurs game that was a similar story (huge holes in midfield and defense, despite the fact that we had 3 at the back).

As for your last part, what happened to those school boy defensive mistakes? Well it's simple, it's all down to confidence. The defenders knew that week in week out they had to face the opposition with no protection whatsoever from the rest of the team and that they were on their own. Defending like that is impossible no matter who you are, even Kompany and Terry would have huge problems defending like that and the fact that everyone would be blaming you for everything would be an even bigger blow to your confidence. Our defenders were constantly under pressure, constantly on their back foot, silly mistakes were bound to happen.

What's a mystery to me though is Mignolet. I mean I always defended him but even I lost hope in him back in November and December. I guess we can say that the same confidence thing could be applied to Mign's form as well but it's like he's just found out that he's allowed to come out on crosses. He rarely loses an aerial duel now, I never thought I'd see this with him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion