Eto'o coy as race row erupts - Skysports 16/1/06

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o claims he did not mean to spit on Athletic Bilbao defender Unai Esposito in the incident that has sparked a fresh race row in Spain.

The Cameroon star was quite clearly caught on camera spitting in the face of Esposito (pictured) during the closing stages of Barca's 2-1 win over the Basque outfit on Sunday.

His actions provoked a furious and seemingly ill-judged response from Bilbao, and former Spain boss, Javier Clemente who raged: "Those that spit have descended from the trees."

Unsurprisingly, that left Clemente open to accusations of racism, although he has subsequently insisted he was not referring directly to Eto'o, and had been pointing to a lack of education rather than any racial undertone.

Eto'o has moved to try and absolve himself of any blame by claiming that he did spit, but did not intend to hit Esposito.

"I didn't do anything," he protested to Punto Radio. "I didn't spit at him and if it hit him I apologise, but I was not trying to spit at him.

"I did spit, but it was not at him.

"He made a meal out of it and that's his problem, but I did not spit at him and if I did hit him I am sorry."

The African hit-man also revealed he had spoken amicably to Clemente after the game and hoped that the Basque coach would clear up his remarks.

"I had the chance to speak to the (Athletic) manager (Clemente) and he said many nice things," Eto'o continued.

"We will talk again and I hope he clears everything up.

"These things happen in football, things are said in the heat of the moment.

"If I spat I apologise."

Clemente's remarks have caused a huge storm in the Spanish media with racism in the game a hot topic.

Former Liverpool player, Michael Robinson - now a host on Spanish channel Canal Plus - attacked Clemente for once again tarnishing the reputation of the Spanish game.

He insisted the incident would come to be seen in the same light as Luis Aragones' slur at Arsenal star Thierry Henry last year when he used racially-charged language to try and motivate Arsenal team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes at a Spain training camp.

By Mark Kendall -  Created on 16 Jan 2006
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion