EMRE CAN - official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:47 am

He'll probably play in the back 3 for this season, then in summer when we sign a world class centre back (what? ) he'll move up the pitch as Brendan tweaks the formation to accommodate the departing Gerrard.

He's a great player... long my he serve us.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 am

LFC1990 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 am wrote:The defence looks alot more steady and calm with him in there I dont know why we would try and change something tha has served us well so far

I'm just thinking out-loud...No doubt Defense has settled down but it also due to this 3 CB tactics + Lucas + Getting Gerrard out of the way...So it might be worth a shot upgrading our MF wiht putting Can in his natural position.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

LFC1990 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 am wrote:The defence looks alot more steady and calm with him in there I dont know why we would try and change something tha has served us well so far

Mate, he's done well as part of the back three BUT he's also made some ricks. I'm also not convinced that he is responsible for the improvement in our defence, you could quite as easily credit it to Sakho getting a run of games, Skrtle playing near the top of his form or Mignolet rediscovering some confidence.

I understand why some want him kept as part of our back three, he may be our best available option for that role at the moment but personally I think it limits his game, his the vision and ability to deliver the pass for Sterlings' goal and his strike that smashed against the bar showed what he's capable of when played further forward.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm a big believer in the old mantra if it's not broke don't try and fix it, we have been plagued by defensive problems for years and now we've finally stumbled across a system that seems to work I just don't see the point in dismantling it and starting again.
We have played with 3 at the back before under Brendan and had to change back to 4-2-3-1 at half time because we looked so disjointed and Sakho and Skrtel played together in a two plenty of times last year when our defence was heavily criticised so I don't think it's quite as simple as taking Can out of the back three and replacing him with someone else.
These 3 particular players for some reason compliment each other's games, they are good individual players but together they form a unit that is greater than the sum of it's individual parts.
Can is such a good player that it's only natural that supporters want to see him further up the pitch but believe me there is no more important job than defending, all successful teams are built on the foundation of a solid defence.
Not having a solid defence cost us the title last year, that's how important it is.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Absolute beast this lad when you consider his age. Brilliant signing.

We've got Gerrard's replacement right there.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 pm

We've got ourselves a gem with Can. Even if he was asked to play out of position he tries his best gives his all... I do hope that he can replace Gerrard next season at the CM position. This season, leave him at cb, as we should not fix what's not broken...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:11 am wrote:I'm a big believer in the old mantra if it's not broke don't try and fix it, we have been plagued by defensive problems for years and now we've finally stumbled across a system that seems to work I just don't see the point in dismantling it and starting again.
We have played with 3 at the back before under Brendan and had to change back to 4-2-3-1 at half time because we looked so disjointed and Sakho and Skrtel played together in a two plenty of times last year when our defence was heavily criticised so I don't think it's quite as simple as taking Can out of the back three and replacing him with someone else.
These 3 particular players for some reason compliment each other's games, they are good individual players but together they form a unit that is greater than the sum of it's individual parts.
Can is such a good player that it's only natural that supporters want to see him further up the pitch but believe me there is no more important job than defending, all successful teams are built on the foundation of a solid defence.
Not having a solid defence cost us the title last year, that's how important it is.

I understand where you're coming from on this Yakka and whilst I've often chanted the "If it's not broke" mantra myself it's never stopped me from examining the possibility of making something that's not broke even better.

I'm not suggesting we change the current system, I'm suggesting that we examine Cans' postion in particular.

Can has done a good job at CB but (imo) not a great job. Form aside, I don't know what's happened to Lovren injury wise (is he not back in training ?) but surely Lovren or Toure (when he also returns) are just as suitable for a CB role thus freeing up Can to play in an area where his talent can be even more effective.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:44 pm

At the end of the day, as well as he's done at the back he's not a defender. Bayern let him go because they wanted to use him as a centre back yet he wanted to play in midfield.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Hopefully he will be seen as a natural successor to gerrard and will play that role when stevie leaves.
I appreciate the steadiness he has brought to the backline but feel he could equally provide protection while playing from the midfield. He's a strong lad, good tackler and can get box to box while looking like he has an end product. Something we have been missing since stevie's hey day.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Having two players either side of Skrtel who pass the ball out really well and open up the pitch makes this system work really well. If you replaced Can and Sakho with Lovern and Toure or even one of those I’m almost certain that we would start to look disjointed and would struggle to transition the play from defence to midfield and end up having to defend a lot more.

Can did really well when he moved forward yesterday but keep in mind it was against a team with 10 men who are currently in the bottom half of the Championship. Every time he has started a game at CM for us he has struggled with the tempo of the game and has been substituted having faded badly. Long term he would be wasted at CB and I think next season he’ll up as one of our first choice CMs but he needs to get up to scratch fitness wise. I’d keep him at CB for now.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm wrote:Having two players either side of Skrtel who pass the ball out really well and open up the pitch makes this system work really well. If you replaced Can and Sakho with Lovern and Toure or even one of those I’m almost certain that we would start to look disjointed and would struggle to transition the play from defence to midfield and end up having to defend a lot more.

Very good point Pig Catcher, it's not just his defensive capabilities that make him a good CB but his ability to effectively bring the ball out of defence as well. It's very important to have such players at the back and Can is phenomenal at it. 

I see that a lot of people are willing to keep the formation but would rather have Can in midfield. I agree that that's his best position and that's where he should play in the future, but the thing is, we have no one else to play at CB instead of him. I see people would trust Lovren for it, but I personally wouldn't, not yet anyway, he needs to prove himself first in easier/less important games (yesterday was probably a good opportunity for that). For the time being we're fine as it is, so like others have said, let's not fix what's not broken.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Emre Can, future Liverpool captain, player-manager, youth coach, director of football, CEO and club's cook  :buttrock

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:48 pm

damjan193 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:45 pm wrote:Emre Can, future Liverpool captain, player-manager, youth coach, director of football, CEO and club's cook  :buttrock

Are you following @MrBoywunder too  :grinning:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Haha no, I don't have twitter but I read it on facebook so you got me there :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

damjan193 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:50 pm wrote:Haha no, I don't have twitter but I read it on facebook so you got me there :D

I agree with the statement tho, the guy is awesome and so young and powerful, why look elsewhere for an SG replacment when we already have one :D
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion