EMRE CAN - official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Can v Madrid

Just a little video that dispels the notions that  some are already busy building up  saying he's  slow and looks sluggish ,46 seconds in belies all those
ridiculous  appraisals...... If you look to the wing even Markovic is struggling to keep pace ,and this is a fella so quick he could catch chickens.
Or if you prefer watch him  losing possession and how quickly he gets back to dispossess Ronaldo .....So much for the forums resident theorists  :D 

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:58 pm

He looks a tidy player. When I first saw him play he looked to lack agility and speed, but as someone noted, he'd not played much and was lacking fitness. Saying that, he's quite a big lad and if I was his coach and probably try to enhance that at the expense of speed. Just my opinion.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:01 pm

RedAnt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:58 pm wrote:He looks a tidy player. When I first saw him play he looked to lack agility and speed, but as someone noted, he'd not played much and was lacking fitness. Saying that, he's quite a big lad and if I was his coach and probably try to enhance that at the expense of speed. Just my opinion.

Your's or the physicist's  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:36 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:01 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:58 pm wrote:He looks a tidy player. When I first saw him play he looked to lack agility and speed, but as someone noted, he'd not played much and was lacking fitness. Saying that, he's quite a big lad and if I was his coach and probably try to enhance that at the expense of speed. Just my opinion.

Your's or the physicist's  :D

My shrink :D just kidding of course....

....he never really said that.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:03 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 pm wrote:Can v Madrid

Just a little video that dispels the notions that  some are already busy building up  saying he's  slow and looks sluggish ,46 seconds in belies all those
ridiculous  appraisals...... If you look to the wing even Markovic is struggling to keep pace ,and this is a fella so quick he could catch chickens.
Or if you prefer watch him  losing possession and how quickly he gets back to dispossess Ronaldo .....So much for the forums resident theorists  :D 

Acceleration vs pace. He has a slow turning circle and is quite slow from a standing start so isn’t going to beat anyone over 5-10 yards. But once he gets into full flow he is hard to catch and hard to stop. Bit like Yaya.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:08 am

Does anyone seriously think he will give us what yaya gives to city? Or anything even close?

I am looking for promise in him and I can see why some would think it's there, but I look at him and think if he played for Chelsea instead of Ramires who I think is nothing more than an athlete, would he improve their team, I think the answer is no. Believe me if there is a player that is making me doubt my judgement this season it's Can, but the fact is I believe class shows, shows quickly and shows consistently, something he's failed to do
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:34 pm

I do get where CHL is coming from with the reference to yaya. He is slow off the mark but get's going and then is hard to stop. He is young though and while i wouldnt think he can emulate yaya's career i do think he can improve to be a very good player.

He does the basics well and is maybe trying to focus a bit too much on his positioning and game plan rather than make a name for himself. If he's given a good run of games now he might open up a bit and show us that he can make that step up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:00 am

I'm usually of the theory RTID that if a player only shows it in one every three games they aren't ever going to be a top player. Especially if they don't show much against the lesser sides. Having watched him for me I do think potential is in him slightly and I'm not convinced he's a total waste… but I don't believe he has anything like the makings of a top player.

I do think given a season he will be an overall improvement on Henderson However, I don't believe Jordan to be our weakest link and I don't believe Can is the right fit for our "system" in either the deep or box to box role in the current set up.

For me, the signing was a head scratcher and he will have to show more than a few driving runs, a few tidy passes, being sloppy and lacking the ability to turn quickly before I will start suggesting it was any kind of master stroke.

Who knows, after the money wasting bell end who subs his best players off leaves Can might be one we half thank him for.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:00 am wrote:I'm usually of the theory RTID that if a player only shows it in one every three games they aren't ever going to be a top player. Especially if they don't show much against the lesser sides. Having watched him for me I do think potential is in him slightly and I'm not convinced he's a total waste… but I don't believe he has anything like the makings of a top player.

I do think given a season he will be an overall improvement on Henderson However, I don't believe Jordan to be our weakest link and I don't believe Can is the right fit for our "system" in either the deep or box to box role in the current set up.

For me, the signing was a head scratcher and he will have to show more than a few driving runs, a few tidy passes, being sloppy and lacking the ability to turn quickly before I will start suggesting it was any kind of master stroke.

Who knows, after the money wasting bell end who subs his best players off leaves Can might be one we half thank him for.

He is just knuckling down stu and trying to find his feet and bearings while playing the role and system the manager wants and I'd say thats where most of his attention is while on the field.  I agree though that its hard to see a world class player at the moment but he is an improvement on allen and henderson for me and as long as rodgers doesn't turn him into a robotic drone he might turn out good.

Most of rodgers signings are head scratchers TBH and even if can does turn good it will have been no master stroke  :no 
If all else fails we could build a roundabout in the middle to help him get around  :eyebrow
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Excellent when he came on today, why this guy can't get regular football is a total mystery
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Boocity » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:32 am wrote:Excellent when he came on today, why this guy can't get regular football is a total mystery

Guess he was bought by the committee.....so he does not get the "Joe Allen" treatment.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:04 pm

I was impressed with him at CB, apparently he's played there for the German U21 side and he looked very comfortable in that position, especially when the ball was at his feet. He's a big lad and no slouch when it comes to sprinting either and the Burnley wide players found him a tough obstacle to get by in one on one situations. Most of the time he just bullied them off the ball and they ended up on the @rse.
He probably needs to work a bit on his positioning and reading of the game if he was going to play CB in a back 4 but this back 3 may suit him down to the ground.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Brendan Rodgers predicts Emre Can will have a substantial role to play in the remainder of Liverpool's 2014-15 season – and indeed an even brighter future at the club – after his assured cameo showing at Burnley on Boxing Day.

The 20-year-old was introduced as a half-time substitute at Turf Moor, replacing Kolo Toure and being deployed in a role on the right of the Reds' three-man central defence.

It was only his 10th outing since his summer switch from Bayer Leverkusen, and despite playing most of his previous nine appearances in a midfield berth, Can slotted seamlessly into the visitors' backline as they secured a vital 1-0 win.

Rodgers felt the German U21 international's impact was a key factor in the victory, and is confident his influence will continue to grow over the second half of the campaign - particularly given the No.23's versatility.

Speaking to journalists at Melwood, the manager said: "He played centre-half in one of the games I took in last year when I went to see him. He played there in a 4-2-3-1.

"He's got a big future here, Emre. It's just been curtailed a little bit from the summer when he was trying to gain his fitness and he was injured - he had an ankle issue that made him miss training and he was in and out.

"He's got great athleticism and you saw his presence on the pitch [at Burnley]. He is an outstanding footballer and is a very, very young player who is just acclimatising to the game here.

"His favoured position is more of a defensive player, even though I've played him in an attacking role because I think that's something he can do more of. But if you asked him his profile, he likes to be in that sitting role where he can play and dictate the game as well as be physical in the challenge and duels.

"I thought he came on and was outstanding [at Burnley]. We needed to build the ball better, our possession wasn't so good and we lost the ball too quickly, which didn't give us a chance to get into good positions on the field in order to keep the ball.

"Him coming on gave us that assurance in possession and also physicality when we didn't have the ball.

"He's a player I know can play in a number of positions and play them well. He's someone whose influence will become greater as the season goes on."

Meanwhile, Rodgers also had words of praise for the roles his attacking quartet played in securing Liverpool's three points against Burnley.

Raheem Sterling struck the game's decisive blow, netting on 62 minutes to settle the contest with his third goal in as many matches; however, the strike was crafted by a magnificent piece of play by Philippe Coutinho.

Rodgers was delighted with the manner in which the duo, as well as Adam Lallana, linked up - and was also pleased with Rickie Lambert's contribution after he entered the clash as a late substitute.

"Adam and Phil are playing in that little role [behind the striker], which suits them perfectly," said the boss.

"They've got wonderful feet and so they are very good in tight spaces. The key is the work-rate, as well - they press the ball well and work very, very hard.

"Raheem and anyone with that type of pace will always stretch teams and always make defenders think.

"He's a different type - he's not your natural No.9, but for me it's more about the position rather than the player for the team to function well. That pace in the team is very important for us.

"Rickie Lambert was important for us when he came on at Burnley. He could hold the ball up in that period of the game when we needed it, so it's good to have the options to be able to put in that role."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Yeah, I thought he was excellent yesterday. I think playing as a CB with 3 at the back might suit him, since he might not be ready to play in midfield yet. On the other hand, I don't think he can do much worse than Gerrard, so trying a Lucas+Can partnership in midfield won't be a bad idea either. Bottom line is, we need to play him more.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXG-TwpZOkc

Dropped to the bench for 9 games to return as a defender ,and after a performance like above.

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion